The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Pastrnak + McAvoy are too much $$$$.  Nucks already have  Zacka LW and LW Debrusk types.

Frederic is the type of player our team sorely lacks.

I would take Pasta over any of our top 6 Forwards not named Pettersson, I would take McAvoy over any of our Dmen not named Hughes, I would take DeBrusk over any of our middle 6 and I would take Zacha over any of our bottom 6.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I would take Pasta over any of our top 6 Forwards not named Pettersson, I would take McAvoy over any of our Dmen not named Hughes, I would take DeBrusk over any of our middle 6 and I would take Zacha over any of our bottom 6.

Of course you would take Pasta or McAvoy, but how do you fit the extra $20.75m salary cap on our team.

Debrusk + Zacha had a career year while playing on the 2nd line with Krejci.  Normally with points in the early

40's for Debrusk and mid 30s for Zacka; playing alongside Krejci boasted their #s remarkably.

Garland, Beau, Boeser have all put up similar points in recent years. Zacha + Debrusk have less cap, but

that's all part of playing for Boston, but you can bet that their stats fall to the 35-40pt range when Krejci

retires.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 2

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Of course you would take Pasta or McAvoy, but how do you fit the extra $20.75m salary cap on our team.

Debrusk + Zacha had a career year while playing on the 2nd line with Krejci.  Normally with points in the early

40's for Debrusk and mid 30s for Zacka; playing alongside Krejci boasted their #s remarkably.

Garland, Beau, Boeser have all put up similar points in recent years. Zacha + Debrusk have less cap, but

that's all part of playing for Boston, but you can bet that their stats fall to the 35-40pt range when Krejci

retires.

Yeah but when you blanket statement not interested in any of their players it comes off as massively biased. 

19 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah but when you blanket statement not interested in any of their players it comes off as massively biased. 

Orlov would be an interesting UFA…. Hes a good skater, makes very few mistakes. He is 32, but perhaps on a 3 year deal, offloading Myers and making room, could be a pretty good addition especially if paired with OEL. His skating/positioning would pair well with OEL imo.

What’s your take on Orlov?

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Orlov would be an interesting UFA…. Hes a good skater, makes very few mistakes. He is 32, but perhaps on a 3 year deal, offloading Myers and making room, could be a pretty good addition especially if paired with OEL. His skating/positioning would pair well with OEL imo.

What’s your take on Orlov?

I wouldn't oppose Orlov on short term deal, 3 years or less would be ideal, I have always liked his game. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OB isn’t wrong. Bo is way too easy to play against. 

100%.

He used to have a lot more sandpaper to his game. For whatever reason, it's completely disappeared from his game the past few years.

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

10 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

When both Sebastian Ahos were in the penalty box it made me wonder whether Sea Bass’ name is also Sebastian 

When I saw them, my first thought was, wonder what those two Ahos did to deserve penalty time.

Acting like a......  jerks?

On 5/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Funny thing ,  I was all for moving Boeser to try and acquire Debrusk who was unhappy in Boston end of last season, and Zacha from NJ,  hoping to get Mukhamadullin as well.

Boesers performance this season is something we should capitalize on ,   I’m still hoping we trade him.

• Cheers 2

On 5/4/2023 at 2:06 PM, MattWN. said:

100%.

He used to have a lot more sandpaper to his game. For whatever reason, it's completely disappeared from his game the past few years.

I think he is , and has always been as abrasive as toothpaste ..  not sand paper.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 5/4/2023 at 2:06 PM, MattWN. said:

100%.

Same thing that happens to a few supposed two way guys. They realize they can score goals and the rest of their game disappears as they prioritize scoring. Which honestly is also not a dumb thing to do. If Bo were a two way guy giving us 15-20 goals and good defense and some truculence. He'd be a 7.5mil guy. His goal scoring exploded and now he is worth 8.5mil. Bo is a 30 goal guy, that's worth more than a two way 15-20 goal guy. Although it's starting to look like he might not even be a 30 goal guy, at least not with the Isles as they are currently built.

When we drafted Bo it was expected he'd develop into a solid 2nd line guy that can play in all 3 zones. He became a guy that looks like he can only play in one, the rest of his game evaporates if he tries to play at a high level in all 3 zones. Somewhere along the way he decided defense and truculence are not it and became a really good goal scorer for us. Those players tend to be the most expensive. Didn't help we signed him to a contract that brought him to UFA status at a really bad time. Did we buy any of his UFA years? Seems like 1 at the most.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

When we drafted Bo it was expected he'd develop into a solid 2nd line guy that can play in all 3 zones. He became a guy that looks like he can only play in one, the rest of his game evaporates if he tries to play at a high level in all 3 zones. Somewhere along the way he decided defense and truculence are not it and became a really good goal scorer for us. Those players tend to be the most expensive. Didn't help we signed him to a contract that brought him to UFA status at a really bad time. Did we buy any of his UFA years? Seems like 1 at the most.

The guys in Sportsnet 650 did mention something similar. That he wasn't that bad with the Islanders due to his defensive game but also pointed out that when Horvat's defensive game improves his offense suffers and vise versa and can't seem to do both at the same time.

But who knows maybe he figures this out with a Lou Lamoriello ran hockey organization. And I guess next season we figure out who the real Bo Horvat is. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The guys in Sportsnet 650 did mention something similar. That he wasn't that bad with the Islanders due to his defensive game but also pointed out that when Horvat's defensive game improves his offense suffers and vise versa and can't seem to do both at the same time.

But who knows maybe he figures this out with a Lou Lamoriello ran hockey organization. And I guess next season we figure out who the real Bo Horvat is. 

I realize it is a big step but wasn't Bo touted as the next Bergeron? Bo's FO ability is arguable better but his d-side game was never close. On the

o-side Bo was capable and arguably he never had the linemates that Bergeron did. A lot of fans dumping on him right now but I am willing to see what happens next year. I do suspect a certain reversion to mean but how much? 

• Cheers 1