The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Nice to see this analysis and while his skating looks decent, he acknowledges he wants to improve it.  He looks like fundamentally a better skater than Boeser and maybe more like Lazar actually.  The fact that he has a hard shot, goes to the middle, is defensively responsible and has high hockey IQ is setting him up for success in my mind.  I am happy that the Canucks are now properly focusing on development rather than rushing players.  

Maybe we just need MayRay back as a skating coach and have the fastest team in the league.  Guess they would all just fall down though without being checked though so maybe that's not a great idea.::D

I know you’re mostly kidding about the MayRay comment. But I think the Canucks have that area covered, with skating coach MacKenzie Braid on the full-time staff in Abby.

I’ve only heard good things about Braid’s work, and he trained as a coach under his mom, Dawn Braid (one of the best skating coaches in the world, when it comes to hockey, with a roster of NHL star players having benefited from her techniques). So Räty should be getting some high level coaching to improve his skating.

Braid has already enjoyed some good results with Klimovich (whose skating had some obvious inefficiencies) and some of the other players in Abby. Hopefully Räty will be another success story. Maybe not quite a Horvat-level change to his skating (he’s more of an exception rather than the rule), but I’m confident that Räty can make noticeable improvements, if he’s given the right instruction, and commits to the process.

I think so long as the Canucks don’t rush him, he’ll have lots of time to focus on weaker areas of his game and he will improve during his time on the farm. And Räty seems to have the work ethic to make the most of this opportunity. 

I also expect Räty will have a very productive off-season and should come to camp next season a much better technical skater.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I know you’re mostly kidding about the MayRay comment. But I think the Canucks have that area covered, with skating coach MacKenzie Braid on the full-time staff in Abby.

I’ve only heard good things about Braid’s work, and he trained as a coach under his mom, Dawn Braid (one of the best skating coaches in the world, when it comes to hockey, with a roster of NHL star players having benefited from her techniques). So Räty should be getting some high level coaching to improve his skating.

Braid has already enjoyed some good results with Klimovich (whose skating had some obvious inefficiencies) and some of the other players in Abby. Hopefully Räty will be another success story. Maybe not quite a Horvat-level change to his skating (he’s more of an exception rather than the rule), but I’m confident that Räty can make noticeable improvements, if he’s given the right instruction, and commits to the process.

I think so long as the Canucks don’t rush him, he’ll have lots of time to focus on weaker areas of his game and he will improve during his time on the farm. And Räty seems to have the work ethic to make the most of this opportunity. 

I also expect Räty will have a very productive off-season and should come to camp next season a much better technical skater.

I hope we don't rush Raty, hopefully he finds his groove come the playoffs and even another full year in the AHL wouldn't be the worst fo rhis development. That said, if he has a great off season and comes to training camp and impresses, well then the kid might start in the NHL or be first call up when that is called upon

On 2/14/2023 at 7:55 PM, Gawdzukes said:

OEL delivers in so many other ways like providing safe passage in our own zone for opposing players. Sort of like a diplomat. I would pay him more if I could. :huh:

Yep, I keep forgetting I’m a tank man, and as a tank man I should be hoping we pick five more guys like OEL, just on really cheap, short-term contracts. On the other hand, we have the top scoring D man in the AHL (5th overall in scoring when forwards are included) and by far the leading scorer on the Abby farm team.

1 assist, 0 goals and a -1 in 6 games isn't the best stat-line in the world considering he was almost 0.5PPG with his last AHL team. Not a great start, think he probably needs all of next season in the AHL too but playing higher up in the lineup. If he's not really thriving or doing much in Abby maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to give him 4th line NHL minutes?

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1 assist, 0 goals and a -1 in 6 games isn't the best stat-line in the world considering he was almost 0.5PPG with his last AHL team. Not a great start, think he probably needs all of next season in the AHL too but playing higher up in the lineup. If he's not really thriving or doing much in Abby maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to give him 4th line NHL minutes?

New team, new coaches. I don't know what the NYI farm team was like but Abby has had a solid program from the get go this season. They go into Calgary last night and pull off a win! That is with Silovs, Giuseppe, Aman and Podz in Vancouver. Impressive. Martin plays back to back with a loss and a win. 

Fans should have no problem with Raty spending a season in Abby next year. I prefer that to him playing on a 4th line in Vancouver. When he does debut in Van I am hoping for 3rd line play. There is no reason to rush this kid. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Likely adjusting to systems and so on, it'll take a while. But yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he were a guy who needed to bake for another season or too. He was a 2nd rounder at the end of the day, he'd likely be better served getting more ice time and larger roles in Abbotsford than playing 4th line minutes in the bigs. 

No need to rush him, he's still young. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

41 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Likely adjusting to systems and so on, it'll take a while. But yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he were a guy who needed to bake for another season or too. He was a 2nd rounder at the end of the day, he'd likely be better served getting more ice time and larger roles in Abbotsford than playing 4th line minutes in the bigs. 

No need to rush him, he's still young. 

Hes extremely smart defensively and has a great shot. His skating will get better, and I truly believe he'll be a really solid 2C. But yeah, patience with him will be key, along with heavily investing in his development. 

• Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

Wish management would go for pure draft capital instead of reclaimation projects... here's hoping he can turn it around and start producing at a better clip!

We got a 1st round pick + a 20 year old, i wouldn't say we got any "reclamation projects" in this deal. Money had to come back, and that ended up being Beauvillier, who is outperforming expectations

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

Wish management would go for pure draft capital instead of reclaimation projects... here's hoping he can turn it around and start producing at a better clip!

Management is chasing down draft capital by allowing the team to sink into the top 5 this year + NYIs 1st.

There may be other trades before TDL, but this team doesn't have many players that will fetch a 2nd, let

alone a 1st.

Raty is not a reclamation project.  For a 20yr old 2nd round pick, he's exactly where he should be.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Management is chasing down draft capital by allowing the team to sink into the top 5 this year + NYIs 1st.

There may be other trades before TDL, but this team doesn't have many players that will fetch a 2nd, let

alone a 1st.

Raty is not a reclamation project.  For a 20yr old 2nd round pick, he's exactly where he should be.

As to Raty, I seems to recall the same argument was made about OEL future, hell find his game again, he's going to be great. No he wasn't and yes he has proved this point every game day. It's hard to face, just judge on what you actually see is what you get, no dreams or speculation The game he played inArizona is the game he plays here, We should not be drwan into fantsies, it's a mugs game. It was oneof JB problems he recall players as they were when he was a simple scout. Time has passed Jimbo and the human body does deteriorate as time passes by

Edited by Fred65
  • Wat 1

30 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

As to Raty, I seems to recall the same argument was made about OEL future, hell find his game again, he's going to be great. No he wasn't and yes he has proved this point every game day. It's hard to face, just judge on what you actually see is what you get, no dreams or speculation The game he played inArizona is the game he plays here, We should not be drwan into fantsies, it's a mugs game. It was oneof JB problems he recall players as they were when he was a simple scout. Time has passed Jimbo and the human body does deteriorate as time passes by

Raty just turned 20 a couple months ago. He’s on an upward arc. Don’t see how that compares to Benning trading for a 30 year old player and expecting him to improve. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I can't say that I watched many Coyote games, but his stats seem pretty good (on a team where practically

every player has a minus stat). He certainly has deteriorated since he came to the Canucks.

As far a Raty goes, I think it's reasonable to view him as a 20yr old 2nd rounder.  There are 2 implications:

a 2nd rounder implies that it will take longer for him to develop into an NHL player; and

the stats suggest a 2nd round player's chances of making the NHL is significantly less than the 1st

round player.

Hopefully Raty has the gumption and skills to be one of the players that beats the odds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I can't say that I watched many Coyote games, but his stats seem pretty good (on a team where practically

every player has a minus stat). He certainly has deteriorated since he came to the Canucks.

As far a Raty goes, I think it's reasonable to view him as a 20yr old 2nd rounder.  There are 2 implications:

a 2nd rounder implies that it will take longer for him to develop into an NHL player; and

the stats suggest a 2nd round player's chances of making the NHL is significantly less than the 1st

round player.

Hopefully Raty has the gumption and skills to be one of the players that beats the odds.

Raty will be better than Horvat defensively. OEL was considered one of the worst contracts in the league prior to Benning trading for him. It was a bad trade pushed on Benning by our owner. Not the trade itself, but the push to get into the playoffs so sell the future in hopes to win now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was a bad trade pushed on Benning by our owner. Not the trade itself, but the push to get into the playoffs so sell the future in hopes to win now. 

No, it was a bad trade pushed BY Benning, which was doubly dumb. A year before making the deal, Benning was so busy trying to land OEL that he ran out of time and lost Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher, Leivo and Toffoli. Didn't mind losing Markstrom (Calgary fans are already disenchanted with a goalie who is 75th in the NHL in save percentage and is a disappointing 14-13-7 so far), but Tanev and Stecher at a minimum should have been kept. Fun Fact: Stecher, who is 28, will be UFA again in July and is playing 16:37 per night over 55 games played. I'd sign him for a million and you know he'd sign back home in a heartbeart.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

No, it was a bad trade pushed BY Benning, which was doubly dumb. A year before making the deal, Benning was so busy trying to land OEL that he ran out of time and lost Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher, Leivo and Toffoli. Didn't mind losing Markstrom (Calgary fans are already disenchanted with a goalie who is 75th in the NHL in save percentage and is a disappointing 14-13-7 so far), but Tanev and Stecher at a minimum should have been kept. Fun Fact: Stecher, who is 28, will be UFA again in July and is playing 16:37 per night over 55 games played. I'd sign him for a million and you know he'd sign back home in a heartbeart.

I can’t disagree. I can only point out that (IMHAO) it was our owner pushing Benning to make trade to improve the club in the now. Same way he tried to push Nonis to trade futures for an aging Brad Richards. Nonis refused and was fired. Benning should have refused too. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I had to look it up, as for a moment I didn't believe that he was only 28. It seems like he's been in the League much longer than that. But, no, that ship has sailed, no to Troy from Richmond.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I had to look it up, as for a moment I didn't believe that he was only 28. It seems like he's been in the League much longer than that. But, no, that ship has sailed, no to Troy from Richmond.

I understand your reluctance, but what if: Schenn is traded, Myers is traded or bought out, and Poolman is finished. That leaves Bear and Burroughs as your only two right defencemen. Options in the system are Johansson, who is still in Sweden, Woo, Keeper and Juulsen. I acknowledge that I am hopelessly biased in favour of a heart and soul guy who gives 100% every shift of his life and who is better defensively than most on the list, but he's a known commodity that would likely fit instantly.