The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

30 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The deal for Hughes starts at 4 1st.

The marketing aspect of three talented brothers playing together is insanely huge.

The value of the Devils would probably be one of NHL biggest if not the biggest if the three continue playing as they do.

Take a look above  in my last post for the reason why not! And, if the 1st are all future 1st, then, we are getting late 1st's for the next 4 years, and that is no where enough, and does not even promise you a player of any sort....the only first rounders they have not playing on their team are Nemec, Holtz, Mukhamadullin and Chase Stillman .....sooooooo?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

33 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Take a look above  in my last post for the reason why not! And, if the 1st are all future 1st, then, we are getting late 1st's for the next 4 years, and that is no where enough, and does not even promise you a player of any sort....the only first rounders they have not playing on their team are Nemec, Holtz, Mukhamadullin and Chase Stillman .....sooooooo?

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, this really depends on Jersey's rise. If they're contenders, then those 4 1sts aren't going to be worth much are they? 

If the value of Horvat is 3 1st the value of Highes is higher.

I just use the language people talk regarding value of players.

Not that the Devils 1sts are better or worse.

NHL today is about money and players probably are paid due to that fact also. Not just how they play.

So the three Hughes together playing at the level of at least Luke and Quinn is way above the Sedins and you probably know how the value of tha Canucks rose with them.

• Cheers 1

Let's have a look at it from a NJ perspective: Hamilton have to be a part of a deal, because otherwise their D would have to many offensive defenders. And they would likely not trade Nemec, instead offer someone like Bratt while they acquire Meier to replace him and add maybe a pick.

To NJ: Hughes, Boeser

To Van: Hamilton, Bratt and a maybe a minor pick

This could be a very good deal for Vancouver.

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

They are going to have to over pay like Philly in the Lindros trade 

to VAN

marino

mercer 

nemec

sherangovic

shakir 

2023 1st

to NJD

hughes

schenn

rsthbone

mcdonough 

For the Canucks to trade Hughes who is a player unlike any other to have ever played in Vancouver then jersey would need to offer a ridiculous lopsided offer.

to VAN

marino

mercer 

nemec

shakir 

2023 1st and 2nd + 2024 1st

to NJD

hughes

schenn

rsthbone

Not happening you say? exactly.... Jersey can either make it really worth it or buzz the hell off.

Trading Quinn to New Jersey makes great sense! 12 years from now. The two other hughes will be producing well enough and then Quinn can join them to finish his career with his brothers. Right now it doesn't make sense. They just don't have what it takes to get him. Period.

Edited by Xur

5 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, first off, I am not trading Hughes, at least not without a huge over payment

Those that seen Lindros refuse to go to Quebec, witnessed a Quebec team, that was paid a kings ransom, and became a huge winner to many years, so, sure, if the New Jersey Devils want to pay that ransom, I am willing to take a look at it. But remember Lindros was considered "Generational", which is why he got such a load in trade. Hughes is unfortunately not "Generational" he would not be considered the best under 25 defenseman in the league, and it is questionable whether he would be top 5. Better U25 Defensemen?

Hiskanen, Maker, Fox, Dobson, Seider, McAvoy, Dahlen, Powers, Sergachev, could all lay claim to being better over-all defensemen. Never mind incoming , Nemec, Juricek, Drysdale, and Clarke. All good young defensmen.

Now is Hughes better than most, yes but better than the starting 5, who every they be? I am not sure! maybe he is #5 or #6 on the list. But for how long? I am not slamming him, saying he is terrible, or that any part of his game is bad. I am simply pointing out, there are more than a few, and more on their way, that are pushing his ranking, in that #5 or #6 spot.

His value? Well, I am sure you could get Nemec, and a late 1st rounder if New jersey wants to Get Hughes for marketing purposes, and you may be able to squeeze another piece out of them in one of Holtz, Bahl, or Mukhamdullin. But I honestly doubt, New Jersey wants to mess with their team, mid-season while sitting in while in 3rd place overall in the entire league standings. Not a chance! So it is a futures type deal, with some cap dump either coming to us, or in separate moves to clear enough cap for him. Think out-going Tatar as one of the pieces (4.5 Million), with another one leaving as well, just to find the cap space (Exactly $7,850,000 more space Total!)

So, sure, if they want to give us a boat load, disrupt their team in multiple ways, then sure I would look at it, but I would not be holding my breath on that!

As an overall dman, I'd put Hughes somewhere in the 15-20 range.

• Cheers 1

I don't believe NJ is after Quinn at all. They have Luke coming up at the end of the year and already loaded with 8 NHL defenders.. 

Any asset they have will be going to SJ for meier ( unless he's commanding 9+ as a winger )... In that case they will go for a cheap option like maybe one of the bums be got for essentially free but I doubt it because they are too soft already 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They don't need Quinn and we don't need to trade the greatest Dman in Vancouver Canucks history...

Canucks have never drafted great D man since coming into the league in 1970 so shocking.. 

I will always say if you can move 1 great player and your return is over the top with 4--5 players coming back you have to make those tough trades..Vancouver will be a middle of road team until they make this kind of trade..

Canucks will be 14th to 26th place team for many years if they don't make a big trade like this..

Return with NJ Devils would be very very good.

1 hour ago, GB5 said:

For the Canucks to trade Hughes who is a player unlike any other to have ever played in Vancouver then jersey would need to offer a ridiculous lopsided offer.

to VAN

marino

mercer 

nemec

shakir 

2023 1st and 2nd + 2024 1st

to NJD

hughes

schenn

rsthbone

Not happening you say? exactly.... Jersey can either make it really worth it or buzz the hell off.

Thats ridiculous NJ doesn't make that trade..Your key players  Nemec RD 18 - Mercer 21 W-- 1st rounder 2023 -- 2nd rounder 2024

Bahl 22 LD

16 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Canucks have never drafted great D man since coming into the league in 1970 so shocking.. 

I will always say if you can move 1 great player and your return is over the top with 4--5 players coming back you have to make those tough trades..Vancouver will be a middle of road team until they make this kind of trade..

Canucks will be 14th to 26th place team for many years if they don't make a big trade like this..

Return with NJ Devils would be very very good.

In memory 2 top d-men drafted are Dale Tallon and Quinn Hughes. Tallon was the beginning of poor player development which has continued for decades. Hughes is a talent that has risen above the BS of Canuckland. Like any player management has to value Quinn and decide if moving him is a net benefit to the organization. If they misjudge then the Canucks will suffer their decision for a decade or longer. My biggest fear is that he wants to move on like his friends did in Calgary. PA has some time to figure that out. This is not a panic situation. There are more important players to trade right now. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1