The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

35 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I agree.

The thing is the 2nd time Kravtsov went to Russia, he didn’t have a clause and violated his contract with the Rangers. Rangers let it slide though and offered him continued support.

Was he really in violation, though? He was still under his ELC for 2021-22 (his last KHL season) which included a European assignment clause.

I know the Rangers chose a PR tactic where they really tried to amplify the idea he was “refusing” to report to the AHL, but wouldn’t any AHL assignment trigger a loan back to Russia anyway? And wouldn’t all that be automatic, once they’d announced he wasn’t on the NHL roster for that season and had been asked to report to Hartford (AHL)?

It’s possible Kravtsov and his reps may have jumped the gun on some procedural aspect, but I’d think the end results would be the same. If the Rangers weren’t going to have him on their NHL opening roster for 2021-22, then he would be headed back to Russia on a loan, under the terms of his ELC.

I didn’t really follow the situation at the time, and I’m not saying you’re wrong (that he violated his contract), but I’m just not sure what he actually did that was inconsistent with the terms of his deal?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Messed up the NY affiliates
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was he really in violation, though? He was still under his ELC for 2021-22 (his last KHL season) which included a European assignment clause.

I know the Rangers chose a PR tactic where they really tried to amplify the idea he was “refusing” to report to the AHL, but wouldn’t any AHL assignment trigger a loan back to Russia anyway? And wouldn’t all that be automatic, once they’d announced he wasn’t on the NHL roster for that season and had been asked to report to Bridgeport (AHL)?

It’s possible Kravtsov and his reps may have jumped the gun on some procedural aspect, but I’d think the end results would be the same. If the Rangers weren’t going to have him on their NHL opening roster for 2021-22, then he would be headed back to Russia on a loan, under the terms of his ELC.

I didn’t really follow the situation at the time, and I’m not saying you’re wrong (that he violated his contract), but I’m just not sure what he actually did that was actually inconsistent with the terms of his deal?

I think the clause was just for that 1 year. I’m not 100% sure either as I learned this from the  Rangers boards, but apparently he refused to play in the AHL after being told he was cut but would be the 1st call up. Rangers 3 games in had a bunch of injuries that year but he had already bolted to the KHL. 

I don’t have a problem with him exercising his clause on the contract both parties agreed to. Even if he did violate his contract, it’s his own career, it should ultimately be his own decision where he wants to play. The KHL is less of a development league and more of a competitive league with higher end skilled players. 

There’s probably other shit behind the scenes that led him to bolt briefly. I mean just look at all the Rangers top picks. Andersson, Chytil, Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov. All of them have been underwhelming and Chytil has just finally shown some life. They are terrible at development, and according to Rangers fans, Kravtsov would be benched for guys like Leschysyn and Gauthier after having a good game.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think people need to change the narrative around players who “refuse” to go the AHL.

Kravtsov (and Tryamkin) were given European assignment clauses on their entry level contracts.

AFAIK, those clause don’t have to be given to Russian players. There’s no transfer agreement. These clauses are standardized and automatic for the transfer agreement leagues (like Sweden), but for Russians, it’s case by case, and the clause doesn’t have to be given out (Podkolzin, for example, doesn’t have a European assignment clause).

So, if a team decides to grant the clause, they should expect to honour it.

And, IMO, if a team believes that a player may need some AHL development time, they should be upfront about that, during ELC negotiations, and be firm that they won’t grant the clause. They should be expected to sell the player on the AHL as part of those ELC negotiations. They shouldn’t write something into a contract and then try to pressure a player to waive the clause. That clause has value. It was part of the negotiations. Trying to get around that clause later is basically like trying to ask a player to cut their salary or forego their bonuses.

Teams shouldn’t be offering contract terms they don’t intent to honour. That’s dirty business IMO.

Look at it from the player’s perspective. An AHL demotion means a >90% paycut and moving to a team with inferior travel and accommodations. Is it really a “character issue” when a player, fully within their rights (as agreed upon in their contract), says “no” to this? 

For Tryamkin I think it’s pretty clear there was more to it.  

But Kravstov seems to be honest in his desire to play in the NHL.  

The problem is, not reporting to the AHL means you’re out of the system - not being coached up and developed in a way the parent club wants.  From what I’ve read that’s reflected in Kravstov’s development as well.  (If it didn’t, he wouldn’t have been available, at least not so cheap) so here’s hoping Tocchet and management can help his NHL career along more than NY could.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

I must admit I have not been following this prospect thst much. Is he like the rangers version of juolevi? 

minus the injuries. I don't think he has gotten injured a ton, just hasn't worked out on the Rags for whatever reason (lack of intensity, prowess, fitness, etc) so we'll see if we can turn the ship around. I think he still has potential, physically, if his mind is right.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Both Krav and Baertschi were in their draft +5 seasons when we acquired them. Baer 4 points in 15 games and a small offensive player and Benning gave up a 2nd. Lockwood is already 24 with 1 point and -12 and a 2026 7th is nothing.

Krav has size and defensive upside as well. Shows how much more competent Allvin is over Benning 

Baer averaged 21 goals and 40 points per 82 games during his canuck stint. Krav is at zero thus far. Little early to call the race.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think people need to change the narrative around players who “refuse” to go the AHL.

Kravtsov (and Tryamkin) were given European assignment clauses on their entry level contracts.

AFAIK, those clause don’t have to be given to Russian players. There’s no transfer agreement. These clauses are standardized and automatic for the transfer agreement leagues (like Sweden), but for Russians, it’s case by case, and the clause doesn’t have to be given out (Podkolzin, for example, doesn’t have a European assignment clause).

So, if a team decides to grant the clause, they should expect to honour it.

And, IMO, if a team believes that a player may need some AHL development time, they should be upfront about that, during ELC negotiations, and be firm that they won’t grant the clause. They should be expected to sell the player on the AHL as part of those ELC negotiations. They shouldn’t write something into a contract and then try to pressure a player to waive the clause. That clause has value. It was part of the negotiations. Trying to get around that clause later is basically like trying to ask a player to cut their salary or forego their bonuses.

Teams shouldn’t be offering contract terms they don’t intent to honour. That’s dirty business IMO.

Look at it from the player’s perspective. An AHL demotion means a >90% paycut and moving to a team with inferior travel and accommodations. Is it really a “character issue” when a player, fully within their rights (as agreed upon in their contract), says “no” to this? 

THIS. Amen brother. Seems like some people like to throw players under the bus so quickly and label them with character issues even though they know nothing about them. 

Getting demoted to the AHL is a bigger deal than people think. If a player is in his contractual rights to earn his full paycheque and stay with the big club then why should they agree to go down to the farm team?  

The Rangers have like 5 guys who they are supposedly still developing, including a 1st overall pick and a 2nd overall pick. Seems like they may not have the best system in place to develop young talent. Hopefully we give Kravtsov the chance he needs to live up to his draft status. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

THIS. Amen brother. Seems like some people like to throw players under the bus so quickly and label them with character issues even though they know nothing about them. 

Getting demoted to the AHL is a bigger deal than people think. If a player is in his contractual rights to earn his full paycheque and stay with the big club then why should they agree to go down to the farm team?  

The Rangers have like 5 guys who they are supposedly still developing, including a 1st overall pick and a 2nd overall pick. Seems like they may not have the best system in place to develop young talent. Hopefully we give Kravtsov the chance he needs to live up to his draft status. 

Exactly what I’m saying. Stick Kravtsov on the 2nd line for the rest of the year and see what he can do. We have absolutely nothing to lose.  

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

31 minutes ago, Pears said:

Exactly what I’m saying. Stick Kravtsov on the 2nd line for the rest of the year and see what he can do. We have absolutely nothing to lose.  

That's what I'm thinking. Give this kid a real opportunity to succeed. 

Maybe him, Petey and Kuzmenko. See what kind of chemistry, if any, they develop. 

• Like 1

Just now, wildwood12 said:

I hope he doesn’t turn out to be another Nicolay Goldobin. All flash and dash.

He’s very much flashy. He could drive a line if he puts in the effort to play the right way. Hopefully he figures it out with us.

It was a free look at a guy who has a very high ceiling. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devron said:

Remember when Russians didn’t want to come here? Oh wait that was just Tryamkin 

YARN | [ Whispering ] Shh! Quiet, they'll hear you! | South Park (1997) -  S21E05 | Video clips by quotes | dfe154c8 | 紗

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Is Mikheyev Aussie in some fashion? Upside havin' ass. 95 is a pretty clean number too. Smh.

He should change it smh

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 1