The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

That's a fair deal and gamble. Sounds like he wants to be here, so perhaps that will help.

My first thought: 
Add this trade to the looooooong list of projects players over the past ten years that were hopeful, but didn't work out.
Maybe this time will be different? 

This time it didn’t cost us anything significant though.

This time we actually have a farm team close to home to develop these guys too.

Completely different circumstances.

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

At one point Cassel’s shinkaruk jensen looked like top six forwards to be too…. 

hopefull this turns out better than that lol. 

Nowhere near Podz Raty Kravtsov

Shinkaruk was the only one with the talent and upside MAYBE comparable to 1 of these guys.

Cassels and Jensen were not offensively gifted relative to these guys.

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

Man, that’s some pretty high end optimism there. ::D

Optimism > Pessimism

We just acquired a former top 10 pick that just turned 23 that's had success in the KHL from a team that has trouble developing their high end forward prospects, and we got him for almost nothing.

This is about as low risk/high reward as NHL trades get. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

All the talent and size are there.  Just need to develop them properly.

I’ll give Raty some more slack since he’s only 20, but each of those 3 guys don’t appear to have the offensive potential to form a second line to me. Need to see signs of it fairly soon or I think its kinda fantasyland thinking.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

This trade has more to do with cap leverage than the value of Lockwood as a prospect. NYR is going all in on Kane.

Benning could have chosen to use his cap space for deals like this rather than going all in on  UFAs. 

Even if you aren't sold on management it's great to see us leveraging cap space as a weapon. 

I get it, Rangers are trying to clear some room for Kane.  Still, they were still looking for -something- back for Kravstov and I doubt Allvin was looking to give away Lockwood. 

I’m happy their taking a big cut here while up in the count but I don’t see Lockwood as a zero value piece.

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

I’ll give Raty some more slack since he’s only 20, but each of those 3 guys don’t appear to have the offensive potential to form a second line to me. Need to see signs of it fairly soon or I think its kinda fantasyland thinking.

You're kidding right?  They haven't shown it in the NHL yet, but all 3 of them have shown offensive prowess at various levels.  That's why 2 of the 3 were top 10 picks, and the other was at one point slated to go 1st oa.

Just now, HKSR said:

Nowhere near Podz Raty Kravtsov

Shinkaruk was the only one with the talent and upside MAYBE comparable to 1 of these guys.

Cassels and Jensen were not offensively gifted relative to these guys.

I think that’s a little debatable… the point however is that there’s no guarantee these guys turn out how we think they may. 

I’m pretty confident Podz will be a top six player based on what we’ve seen from him. Other two… jury is out. 

• Like 1