The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, HKSR said:

What does size have to do with it?  I think ability is more important.  If OEL is only having to play 15min a night along with Bear, I think it would be a massive win to have a 3rd pair that can be completely relied upon when they're out there.

Have you looked at the buyout cost of OEL?  Look at it again.  It makes ZERO sense to buyout OEL.  Retaining on him to bring his cap hit down to $4.7M means you could ship him out for sure.

Please stop explaining to the "buyout OEL" crowd why it makes no sense.  They'll never get it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The full cost can’t be weighed until the Isles pick is solidified.

But to have no 2nd round pick in yet another draft is the real killer for me. That’s likely to be an early 2nd where alot of good talent is found.

Like others have said this feels way too much like a Benning move for comfort. Throwing away 2nds because his ego tells him he can find players just as good in the 3rd-7th round. How did that work out again?

Your words are hitting home with me…highly suggestive I hate it more than I like it. I literally finished up a gym session, looked at my phone and saw the trade then jumped in here. I’m still willing to come around to it. Of course, in saying all this, I’ll readily admit I know jack sh*t about Hronek. Given what we’ve given up here in draft capital he better be a fine player. I’ll be watching him with a laser focused eye.

I’ve wanted this team to gather prime draft picks for so long now - watch prospects develop, and seeing some of them in the World Juniors is part of the entire package of being a die hard hockey fan in Canada. But then, I’m not at all convinced about Allvin’s drafting ability….so maybe thats a positive for this trade.

Ah, I’m just perplexed right now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's the same condition -- the pick becomes an unprotected 2024 1st-round pick if it is in the top 12.

Here's to hoping the Isles go on a tear and that pick is in the 20's somewhere either this year or next. Ahhh, shizenheimer!

I'm still gobsmacked. Can't we have anything nice?

7 minutes ago, TeamTurmoil said:

His defensive numbers look alright to you? He was minus 29 and minus 38 in the last 3 years. He had a worse +/- than Mike Green, yes, that Mike Green. 

Oh boy. Some ppl are really good at making their case. 

:unsure:mike green was on good teams though 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

It is interesting looking at Hronek's stats from this season...his +/- is currently at +8...

He was paired with Chiarot for 44% of the time at even strength. As a pairing they were -8 at ES.

When paired with anyone else, Hronek (56% of his time at ES) was +18 at ES.

This is a massive difference. It appears to me that Chiarot has been a complete disaster this season (he is currently at -23) and so he not only had a huge negative impact on Hronek's defensive numbers, but also negatively impacted everyone else he was paired with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Mid 1st(no guarantee it’s 2023) and a 2nd is not an overpayment for a top 4, 25yr old, offensively talented RHD. 

It’s fair value. 

if they were intent on flipping that pick, what I don't get is why not wait for the draft when the value is higher?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

We have to re sign EP40.  We can't start a complete rebuild if we want to keep him. He'll leave if we start a 10 year rebuild. 

This is kind of the thing. David Reinbacher isn't falling to the Islanders pick, he's going to be a top 10 guy.

Axel Sandin-Pellikka is a good RHD target in that range, but by the time he's 23 & making a legit impact Pettersson will be 29. So what is really the window here?

Canucks are between a rock & a hard place in many ways, but I don't think that means give up on Pettersson. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Some of the negativity here is hilarious. Like Allvin said, they're adding to their young core. Not sure about anyone else, but I don't want the Canucks to suck forever just so they have lots of Draft picks.

Look at the Draft picks in previous years. Is Artyom Manukyan really going to bust onto the NHL scene and help the Canucks? :lol:  Even high drafted players like Virtanen and Juilevi didn't guarantee a good, successful NHL player. 

Pettersson

Beauvillier

Kuzmenko

Podkolzin

Mikheyev

Kravtsov

Raty

Hughes

Hronek

Bear

Demko/Silovs

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Seems like a solid addition.  25 is a nice age.

Thought we were going to lean a little harder into the retool for this year at least.. but, nope. At least we can watch everyone freak out over this… and hopefully there’s a move or two to still be made. :)

The guy is 25 and is one season away from a very big payday.  Can we continue to build a good team while paying this guy 6-7 per? We still have OEL eating up 7+. 

It's just another of our owner insisting to cut corners in hopes to speed up the retool/rebuild. Even if it works, the future was sold to get better right now. The winning won't be very long lived. Just a stupid move for a team that should be building. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, would have been nice to still have Schenn.

Hughes-Schenn

???-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Would be quite an improvement.

He’ll be coming back home to us this summer, I can feel it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'd say the majority of the fanbase was anticipating a rebuild, and nobody in the entire league was expecting us to actually be buyers at the trade deadline.  

Did you expect us to be buyers at the deadline?

Then that anticipation was misguided. Rutherford and Allvin have been pretty clear with targeting players 23-25, so yes, buying players in this age range is of no surprise to me. 

Is it the right approach to take? TBD, but I'm nervous as you all are. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I guess Joulevi is a great prospect, wherever the f**k he is?

Can't wait to see what that Jake Virtanen prospect turns into, he was 5th overall!

Yes, Kratsov shows all the tools of Bertuzzi. You're f**king high dude. Keep grasping at straws.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

He plies his trade with the San Diego Gulls. :lol:

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's untradeable.  Nobody is taking him for $4.76 million for 4 years and he has a NMC anyways and won't agree to a trade even if we could find a trade partner.  I'll take that bet.  You name the price.  The only stipulation is that if he goes on LTIR then the bet is off as that is the best-case scenario and may also happen...

I dunno, you name the price.  Tell ya what, if the Canucks buy out OEL, I will be obligated to "like" every single post I see of yours on here lol.  Vice versa if OEL is not bought out. 

• Haha 2

Just now, MattWN. said:

Wow, that's your argument.

It's pretty f**king clear what I meant.

Podkolzin and Raty should be in the A, because they're not NHL level players. That doesn't make them prospects.

Being a high pick doesn't mean shit when they've absolutely stalled and shit the bed at both the NHL and AHL level.

I guess Joulevi is a great prospect, wherever the f**k he is?

Can't wait to see what that Jake Virtanen prospect turns into, he was 5th overall!

Yes, Kratsov shows all the tools of Bertuzzi. You're f**king high dude. Keep grasping at straws.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Yeah, I'd hide my face too if that was my take.

what is your super big brain definition of a prospect, son?

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Devron said:

I love these mixed response trades muhahahaha

This is why I’m going to patient and not react it’s really an interesting trade could be a win could be A loss 

we will see with time 

• Upvote 2