The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

If we can get him playing the rest of the season he might make the team next year. 

Bring in Johansson and we look pretty good on D.  

Now what to do with OEL,Rathbone and Myers. 

Two we should be able to trade.OEL well we might be stuck for another year with him.  

We do need cap room so maybe a big trade to help a team get to the cap floor and add a piece or two plus later say 3rd or 4th rounder if OEL will go?

Akito is already our 3rd best Dman. He’s better than those other RHD we didn’t sign. He will be with the Canucks next season. He will make the club and contribute.

Rathbone, Brisebois and Wolanin are all behind him hockey IQ wise.

also, why can’t anyone pronounce his last name properly?  There is no SEE in Japanese. It doesn’t exist. 

His last name is pronounced HE RO SAY…

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Akito is already our 3rd best Dman. He’s better than those other RHD we didn’t sign. He will be with the Canucks next season. He will make the club and contribute.

Rathbone, Brisebois and Wolanin are all behind him hockey IQ wise.

also, why can’t anyone pronounce his last name properly?  There is no SEE in Japanese. It doesn’t exist. 

His last name is pronounced HE RO SAY…

He already looks a lot more poised than Gudbranson did haha

• There it is 1

On 4/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, cripplereh said:

Bring in Johansson and we look pretty good on D.  

Assuming Johansson pans out. 

It feels like everyone’s penciling Johansson in the line up, but I’m still a wait and see what he does at training camp. He might need some seasoning in the AHL before being a staple on the backend on an NHL team. 

The good thing, though, is that he’s young. 22 years old right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

image.png.0e3d10f908d5a67a1a5067d5187bfa96.png

Bang on, but sadly it's partly Jack's fault too. I've said he deserves a chance but he really sucked at the start of the year and hasn't been lights-out in Abby the way he was last year. Injuries didn't help but here we are with a freebie, arguably stronger version of Rathbone, we have to take it.

I expect a massive battle in training camp between these two. If Hirose is better defensively he deserves the place with Hronek on a very dynamic 2nd pairing. If Jack is strong enough defensively, he brings some great offensive upside so think he slots in with Myers (if we can't get rid of him). 

Sadly if Hirose wins, I think Jack will (and maybe should) be traded, because we've just locked up Wolanin and Brisebois. I know they're mostly AHLers but Wolanin is arguably the best of the bunch there.

canucks need to get rid of myers and OEL, we need more contract slots. 

Also trading boeser and garland should be a priority. We need a goal scoring Right winger some one like nylander.  

we need a elite Rhd dmen to play with hughes. Hronek i think is better suited Top4 rather than Top 2.

Some one like ekblad would be perfect with hughes.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bang on, but sadly it's partly Jack's fault too. I've said he deserves a chance but he really sucked at the start of the year and hasn't been lights-out in Abby the way he was last year. Injuries didn't help but here we are with a freebie, arguably stronger version of Rathbone, we have to take it.

I expect a massive battle in training camp between these two. If Hirose is better defensively he deserves the place with Hronek on a very dynamic 2nd pairing. If Jack is strong enough defensively, he brings some great offensive upside so think he slots in with Myers (if we can't get rid of him). 

Sadly if Hirose wins, I think Jack will (and maybe should) be traded, because we've just locked up Wolanin and Brisebois. I know they're mostly AHLers but Wolanin is arguably the best of the bunch there.

Yeah, I'm not sure he'll play another game for the Nucks unless it's another emergency call-up. I can see him being traded this offseason as part of a bigger package, or just toiling in the minors all of next year. He hasn't shown enough structure on the defensive side of things to be favoured over Hirose, Wolanin, Breezer, even OEL.

Simply no room for him, hopefully we can accrue an asset back if we decide to let him go.

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I was at the game last night and came away seriously impressed by this kid...

Me too, he's settling in quite nicely. Speed and hockey IQ are prevalent, and he's got some ice in his veins too.

• Cheers 2