The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs part ways with GM Kyle Dubas

Rate this topic

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your post didn't provide an actual timeframe for when we sucked and the Leafs didn't.  The Leafs have been a pretty underwhelming team since 1982.  No cups, no Stanley Cup finals, no significant playoff victories to speak of.  No major regular season success in terms of President's trophies.  Meanwhile, the Canucks have had 3 beautiful runs to the finals with 3 completely different teams.  Obviously the first run was a fluke, but the other two were great teams built by 2 different GM's.  

Sure, since 2013 the Canucks have sucked.  But the Leafs haven't done much better.  You always seem to want to downplay our team and players, i.e with Petey versus McDavid and now the Canucks vs. the Leafs.  You say you are neutral and objective, but I don't see that, sorry.

And his response wasn't silly, he was confirming what I pointed out with facts.  The Leafs today are a mess, they have a top-heavy roster with an AHL defence and goaltending.  They are in no man's land.  Sure, they make the playoffs every year, but what is the point if you can only win one round since 2004?

I'd rather have the Canucks roster right now than the Leafs.  At least we have a top 7 goalie in the league, we have 2 stud Dmen now who both know how to play defence, and we have 3 stud forwards, none of whom are making $11 million.  And even if Petey gets to $11 million, Miller is locked in at $8 million for the rest of his career while bringing even more production than Tavares.  And we have alot more younger players who are on the active roster and in Abby who can help us now and in the future.  And IMO we have a better coach and assistant coaches and an actual GM and POHO who have won cups.  The Shanaplan in Toronto has produced one playoff victory in 9 years.  I think it's time for them to find a new plan.  We did that and we are much better off now...

Well said, as usual EP.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Looks like Quenneville may be coming back.  I can see Shanahan all over this one...

Commissioner Gary Bettman to meet with Joel Quenneville to review his status (msn.com)

My guess is Coach Q will have his choice of New York or Toronto. I could see him avoiding the crap show that is Toronto and taking the up and coming Rangers team to a cup.

• Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Go back through time, look at the three times the Canucks were in the final as compared to the Leafs, not to mention the President's trophies, the WCE years ... and we never ever drafted #1 overall. 

What's silly is you posting here as a closet Leafs lover. 

Come on now! 

2011 was twelve years ago.  Teenage Canucks fans legit don't remember it anymore.  We have a whole generation of fans growing up that haven't seen our team look anything competitive.

Fans here are stupid to think praising another team implies you're a fan.  I can hate every other team in this league (I kinda do), but I'm not gonna say they all suck for no apparent reason.  The Leafs have had a good run with this core.  It still is a very competitive team.  And they will be remembered for their brutal playoff record.  Compare that to our current Canucks core, which we expected to do great things following the bubble season but have now already traded away a key piece away (Horvat).

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your post didn't provide an actual timeframe for when we sucked and the Leafs didn't.  The Leafs have been a pretty underwhelming team since 1982.  No cups, no Stanley Cup finals, no significant playoff victories to speak of.  No major regular season success in terms of President's trophies.  Meanwhile, the Canucks have had 3 beautiful runs to the finals with 3 completely different teams.  Obviously the first run was a fluke, but the other two were great teams built by 2 different GM's.  

Sure, since 2013 the Canucks have sucked.  But the Leafs haven't done much better.  You always seem to want to downplay our team and players, i.e with Petey versus McDavid and now the Canucks vs. the Leafs.  You say you are neutral and objective, but I don't see that, sorry.

And his response wasn't silly, he was confirming what I pointed out with facts.  The Leafs today are a mess, they have a top-heavy roster with an AHL defence and goaltending.  They are in no man's land.  Sure, they make the playoffs every year, but what is the point if you can only win one round since 2004?

I'd rather have the Canucks roster right now than the Leafs.  At least we have a top 7 goalie in the league, we have 2 stud Dmen now who both know how to play defence, and we have 3 stud forwards, none of whom are making $11 million.  And even if Petey gets to $11 million, Miller is locked in at $8 million for the rest of his career while bringing even more production than Tavares.  And we have alot more younger players who are on the active roster and in Abby who can help us now and in the future.  And IMO we have a better coach and assistant coaches and an actual GM and POHO who have won cups.  The Shanaplan in Toronto has produced one playoff victory in 9 years.  I think it's time for them to find a new plan.  We did that and we are much better off now...

You are aware we also have one series win in our last 9 years, right?  What gives use Canucks fans any right to harp on the Leafs for sucking in the postseason?  At least they make it every year.  At least they get to watch meaningful hockey in April while we start theorizing who we can draft in January.

Regular season success gets fans excited to watch their team, even if they crash out in the first round.  You're putting way too much weight into playoff success as a fan.  The point of succeeding in the regular season?  They get to watch their team play good hockey.  Nobody likes turning on the telly 82 nights a year and expect their team to lose.  Leafs fans can at least be happy with their on-ice product through the year.  Fans here have to decide whether or not to stop watching because they want their team to tank, so it's like rooting for your team to lose.  In more simpler terms, it's not the destination - it's the ride and the fun times we had.  Was the Sedin core a complete failure just because they didn't win a cup?  Did you not enjoy watching them play well, even in the regular season?  Are you not enjoying Petey and Hughes despite the team sucking this year?

We have made the playoffs twice in the past ten years.  We have repeatedly spun our tires and have had no strong direction,, with a revolving door of personnel changes.  In that span of time, the Leafs have abandoned their old core, rebuilt and qualified seven years in a row.  With Dubas gone, I expect major changes to happen within the next couple years.  The future of that team is unclear in every way.  But I'm not talking about the future.  I'm talking about Dubas' tenure and the competitive team he built, even with some costly errors and lack of playoff success.  You cannot say the same about Benning or Rutherford/Allvin so far.  They 100% expected to make the playoffs this year and got throttled.

As for our past discussions, think about what prompts my response.  You were trashing McDavid, and suggested that Petey was a better player overall, and that Miller was a better two-way forward.  I gave you HARD evidence backed by individual metrics that you were wrong (which you still haven't responded to).  Now you're trashing on the Leafs for being... a failure?  How can you say that when our team has had a much worse recent history?  We don't know how either team will do, but I'm pretty sure the current Leafs team can at least make the playoffs again next year.  They have proven that year-in, year-out.  You can't confidently say that about our team yet.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Didn't think he actually did that bad of job, the Leafs just suck lol.

I agree. However, his unwillingness to part ways with at least one of the core 4, really handcuffed building out a solid roster with young depth or more importantly a legit number 1 goalie. It's the same problem in Edmonton. Until they get a solid goalie who can handle playoff pressure in a CDN market, they won't win squat.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

2011 was twelve years ago.  Teenage Canucks fans legit don't remember it anymore.  We have a whole generation of fans growing up that haven't seen our team look anything competitive.

Fans here are stupid to think praising another team implies you're a fan.  I can hate every other team in this league (I kinda do), but I'm not gonna say they all suck for no apparent reason.  The Leafs have had a good run with this core.  It still is a very competitive team.  And they will be remembered for their brutal playoff record.  Compare that to our current Canucks core, which we expected to do great things following the bubble season but have now already traded away a key piece away (Horvat).

You are aware we also have one series win in our last 9 years, right?  What gives use Canucks fans any right to harp on the Leafs for sucking in the postseason?  At least they make it every year.  At least they get to watch meaningful hockey in April while we start theorizing who we can draft in January.

Regular season success gets fans excited to watch their team, even if they crash out in the first round.  You're putting way too much weight into playoff success as a fan.  The point of succeeding in the regular season?  They get to watch their team play good hockey.  Nobody likes turning on the telly 82 nights a year and expect their team to lose.  Leafs fans can at least be happy with their on-ice product through the year.  Fans here have to decide whether or not to stop watching because they want their team to tank, so it's like rooting for your team to lose.  In more simpler terms, it's not the destination - it's the ride and the fun times we had.  Was the Sedin core a complete failure just because they didn't win a cup?  Did you not enjoy watching them play well, even in the regular season?  Are you not enjoying Petey and Hughes despite the team sucking this year?

We have made the playoffs twice in the past ten years.  We have repeatedly spun our tires and have had no strong direction,, with a revolving door of personnel changes.  In that span of time, the Leafs have abandoned their old core, rebuilt and qualified seven years in a row.  With Dubas gone, I expect major changes to happen within the next couple years.  The future of that team is unclear in every way.  But I'm not talking about the future.  I'm talking about Dubas' tenure and the competitive team he built, even with some costly errors and lack of playoff success.  You cannot say the same about Benning or Rutherford/Allvin so far.  They 100% expected to make the playoffs this year and got throttled.

As for our past discussions, think about what prompts my response.  You were trashing McDavid, and suggested that Petey was a better player overall, and that Miller was a better two-way forward.  I gave you HARD evidence backed by individual metrics that you were wrong (which you still haven't responded to).  Now you're trashing on the Leafs for being... a failure?  How can you say that when our team has had a much worse recent history?  We don't know how either team will do, but I'm pretty sure the current Leafs team can at least make the playoffs again next year.  They have proven that year-in, year-out.  You can't confidently say that about our team yet.  

Your original post said that the Leafs have been a million times better than the Canucks over the years. You never specified a time frame.  Now after I presented you with HARD facts that show this isn’t the case and you are factually incorrect, you change course and specify the last 9 years. 

Why the last 9 years?  Just because we sucked during that time?  Why don’t you mention the years from 2006-2016 when the Leafs only made the playoffs once in 10 years while the Canucks were winning multiple President’s trophies and going to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals?  

You can’t just pick a timeframe and say the Leafs are a million times better than the Canucks. Things do change over time. We had tons of success with the Sedins while the Leafs couldn’t even make the playoffs. That was our window. Our window closed in 2014 and we had to start over again. Meanwhile the Leafs were building that entire time when we had the Sedins and were so bad they even finished worst in the entire NHL and had the luxury of drafting first overall. 

So picking and choosing a timeframe and saying one team is a million times better than the other is being disingenuous.  Teams go through cycles all the time. If you look at the last 40 years the Canucks overall have been way more successful than the Leafs, that is factual information that is not disputable. 

As for regular season success versus playoff success, I’m sorry but you’re way off on that. Nobody cares about winning during the regular season except Leafs fans who are used to losing in the playoffs. Playoff success is all that matters. Winning the cup is why you play the games. Any player will tell you that. 

The Sedins era wasn’t a failure because they did have playoff success. They went to a cup final. Lots of teams don’t even accomplish that. If they had not done that then yes it wound have been a failure because nobody cares about the President’s trophies. 

As for the present, you are claiming that Toronto has a competitive team, yet they can barely win a playoff round, they have an AHL defence and an AHL goalie. They are a mess right now.  The GM has been fired, Spezza resigned, the coach is about to be fired, Shanaplan is on its last legs. Matthews is a UFA in a year, Tavares is overpaid by like $4 million. Their star forwards choked in the playoffs again. They are closer to blowing it all up than they are in winning the cup. 

Meanwhile, we hired a 3 time champion in Jim Rutherford. He came here with a plan. He is executing that plan. It takes more than 1 1/2 years to do that. So we are still in waiting mode. This coming year looks like the year we take the next step and make the playoffs. IMO we are in better shape than the Leafs. 

As for Petey vs. McDavid, at some point you need to stop a debate. We went at for a bit and it’s done now.  However, I will say that I never claimed that Petey was a better player than McDavid. We were talking about Draisaitl and Miller too. Petey is a better overall player than Draisaitl. And Miller is a better two way player than Draisaitl. Those facts are indisputable. You put Petey on the Oilers and switch him with Draisaitl and they can probably win the cup. 

I can trash McDavid and the Leafs any time I want to be totally honest with you. This is a Canucks message board. The Leafs and McDavid get trashed on here every day but you took the time to heavily respond to my posts to defend them. The fact that you go so hard to defend both of them tells me you are not objective at all and most likely you are a McDavid and Leafs fan. I mean who else would be defending them so hard if not a fan?  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Disgusting, he should never hold a job again.

Chicago got Bedard, and it hasn't even been a  year and they're hoping this is swept under the rug?

Does Bedard have a case?

eg not wanting to go to Chicago..

Shit happened there, and perhaps still does.

No accountability; no remorse; no forgiveness, and never, ever forget.

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

How about round 2?

Balding NHL players | Page 11 | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for  National Hockey League

Word on the streets when I was living in TO was that he got let go because he couldn't let go of some sports announcer and got her pregnant. 

Don't think that'll be happening. 

10 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Word on the streets when I was living in TO was that he got let go because he couldn't let go of some sports announcer and got her pregnant. 

Don't think that'll be happening. 

That was Hazel May. Burke went ballistic and was suing ISP's to get the identities of of anonymous internet ID's

Brian Burke sues Internet commenters over firing rumour, so watch yourself, ‘Poonerman’

"I'm gonna get this Poonerman character if it's the last thing I do."

Brian Burke was pretty direct about what it was that got him fired as the General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs back in January. "We didn't win enough games," he told the media at the press conference following his dismissal, and that about summed it up.

But if you were to listen to Internet commenters like "POONERMAN" or "CAMBARKERFAN" -- two individuals whose usernames should tell you all you need to know about their airtight credibility and intelligence -- there was more to this story than simply a failure to get the Leafs to the playoffs.

These guys claimed that Burke was actually fired because he had an affair with a Sportsnet reporter. Salacious.

Burke denies this, however, and he won't tolerate the rumour's continued dissemination. On Friday, the former GM launched a lawsuit against the commenters behind this rumour in B.C. Supreme Court. From Metro News:

“The Defamatory Statements were made with the knowledge that they were false or with a reckless disregard for their truth,” the notice of civil claim reads.

“The Defamatory Statements have been published, republished, downloaded, viewed and commented on by persons in British Columbia and Ontario and throughout Canada and the United States by various means, including through email, internet bulletin board postings, Facebook pages and Twitter messages, and have harmed the Plaintiff’s reputation in, amongst other jurisdictions, British Columbia, Ontario, and other parts of Canada and the United States.”

“In publishing the Defamatory Statements, the Defendants were motivated by actual and express malice, and had the intention of damaging the Plaintiff’s reputation.”

I think it's safe to say that Burke's never heard of the Streisand Effect. Good luck with this one.

Burke is suing for damages, as well as an injunction that would prevent the 18 defendants from posting any more defamatory statements.

So who are the defendants? Why, I'm glad you asked, because they're only listed by username, and those usernames are incredible:

The usernames listed in the claim are: “NOFIXEDADDRESS”, “CAMBARKERFAN”, “LAVY16”, “MBSKIDMORE”, “TULOWD”, “LOOB”, “NAGGAH”, “MOWERMAN”, “AARONP18”, “STEVE”, “KABOOMIN8”,“THEZBRAD”, “SLOBBERFACE”, “POONERMAN”, “ISOLATEDCIRCUIT”, “KANADA KEV”, “NCOGNITO” AND “SIR PSYCHO SEXY”.

I'm skeptical that "Sir Psycho Sexy" is fit to stand trial. If he's really that psychotically sexy, it's going to be tough to find him liable. But you'd best watch yourself, "Steve". You'll be the easiest to track down.

It is my sincere hope that Burke wins this suit and the defendants are ordered to meet him in a barn.

• Haha 2