The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former President Linden: "I tried to have a longer vision, but at times that didn't work for people."

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

My favourite player, maybe our worst executive. 
He brought in Benning and then lost in a palace coup. 

Translation:  Linden was the one that brought Benning is so he is partially culpable in his own demise.  

Amazing there are still Benning nut huggers.  An average player that was a journeyman type of career as a Canuck that stuck a shiv in Linden's back while having an average at best performance as the GM of the Canucks after 7 years.  I rank that up there with how Keenan treated Linden.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Shoutout to @NuckLuck19 who mentioned this another thread earlier today:

Let the Aquahate resume!

Aquilini dumped Nonis for not trading futures in hopeful win now moves. Gillis followed the direction (with great success) but he too was fired when suggesting a rebuild was needed. Now this with Trevor. Hopefully our new management can do what Gillis did but win that extra game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, awalk said:

The key part of that interview is when he says they tried to play both sides too much, aka re-tooling on the fly. It doesn't work, you just end up confused and in the mushy middle. Have to lean into being bad when the team is bad. Don't know why ownership never accepts it. 

Maybe the owner doesn’t trust us fans to support the club during the deep diving years? Ironically we supported the Benning years though. 

• There it is 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe the owner doesn’t trust us fans to support the club during the deep diving years? Ironically we supported the Benning years though. 

Seems like it. Ironically I'd say being in the mushy middle is worse for the fans than being a draft lottery team picking top 3 or even top 5 after a season like we just witnessed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

6 minutes ago, awalk said:

Seems like it. Ironically I'd say being in the mushy middle is worse for the fans than being a draft lottery team picking top 3 or even top 5 after a season like we just witnessed.

The Benning stain is not so easy to wash out. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He should've asked Linden for advice:

:ph34r:

Okay I have wanted to know for years now...  He says eyeglasses will cost you as much as...and then it shows a puck going into a net and he says...you get the point.

I don't get the point.  Eyeglasses cost as much as a goal?  As much as a puck?  This commercial never made sense.

Explain or take your number down from the rafters Trevor.

• Haha 3

"Listen Francesco, we need to start the rebuild process right now or..."  <Trevor clicks button and TV screen in Francesco's office shows the Seinfeld episode about the Manzier>  "...you get the point."

Jim Benning:  We need to do something about Trevor.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 2
  • elephant 1

36 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Very bad ownership.

The rumours are true.

Please sell. 

That was my take. For a long time I defended Acquilini suggesting alot of rumour mongering, and no facts. As someone who's met him and had a long conversation with him years ago about the Canucks (over 1/2 hour), I came away thinking, this guy is a huge fan like all of us. So it was hard to believe he would meddle so much. I guess being a fan doesn't mean you get how to run a hockey franchise.

As a result, given Trevor never really was specific on why he left (again rumours) I assumed it was more rumour mill stuff. But that interview closed the loop, he finally came out and said, that he wanted to rebuild and felt it was needed but others did not. Clearly, the others are Acquilini and Benning just towed the line. I can't see Benning being the strong dissenting voice that over ruled Linden, Benning was meek.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, awalk said:

The key part of that interview is when he says they tried to play both sides too much, aka re-tooling on the fly. It doesn't work, you just end up confused and in the mushy middle. Have to lean into being bad when the team is bad. Don't know why ownership never accepts it. 

Rumour is Francisco wants to win a cup asap before his dad ultimately kicks the bucket within the decade or so. 

• There it is 2