The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Carson Soucy

12 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

A team full of unprotected expansion draft players just won the cup lol so what is your point? 

By your logic Marc Andre Fleury is a terrible goalie cause he was left unprotected in the expansion draft. Same with players like Carey Price and Vladimir Tarasenko.

Soucy is already one of our top defenders. Our defense has been terrible the last few years. 

Vegas only had what,  6 guys left from the original team?  Saying a team full of expansion draft players just won the cup isn’t remotely accurate 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Who cares he hits and gets under the skin of other teams, that’s the important part. 

Yup, he's a rough and tumble customer. Who cares who wins the outcome of a hockey fight. They aren't scored and don't mean anything.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't mind an "organic" fight, where guys who hack and whack and clutch and grab on each other in the corners and on the walls finally say, "f**k this, you're being an a-hole, let's go".  What I do mind are fighting for the sake of fighting (ie. staged fights) hoping to "turn the momentum", as well as those people that pick a fight for any perceived slight (such as when a teammate is legally laid out - ie. clean hit or hit for their own stupidity/inattention).  No guarantees that your selfish action will turn the momentum, you risk getting an instigator penalty and possibly being thrown out, and you cause your team to be short on personnel if the refs choose to assess the extra penalty to you.

You won't be contributing from the penalty box, no matter how people try to spin it, because unless you're on the ice, you're not going to be scoring or preventing scoring.  You also won't be protecting anyone from the penalty box - or worse, from the press box if you get a multi-game suspension.

If you want a real deterrent, get your fellow teammates to play harder and tougher; learn how to take a hit, and even better, learn how to dish one.  Legally, of course.  And score when you've got the man advantage.  Or even when you don't - the socre is the only part of the game that matters in the end.

Couldn't agree more. Natural fights that break out are good for the game, they add entertainment and keep everyone honest. I absolutely detest fighting because someone made a good hit. It's cowardice to the extreme in my books. One has to look no further than the playoffs when fighting completely disappears. It's not a helpful tool towards winning games.

Making hard hits, finishing your checks, and pushing back is what helps winning, not a couple goons dancing on skates.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

But he shows up. Losing doesn’t invalidate that. 

Yea it’s not like his fights were traditional drop the gloves and skate around each other and start chucking. Mostly it was him throwing a big hit and getting jumped by a guy wearing a visor haha

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, tas said:

if a guy has lost all 4 of his previous fights and still steps in for number 5, what more can you ask?

Especially when 1 of those fights is against a 99 point player (jt miller). I could Give a crap if my 5th string dman got punched twice before falling in a wrestling match if it meant taking away the other teams leading scorer for 5 minutes (if not more because he instigated for destroying his teammate with clean hit).

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He lost this fight?  Looks like he destroyed Troy Terry with a huge hit and then stood up for himself against Ryan Getzlaf. The fight was even at best, only 4 punches were thrown…

What a monstrous hit

Unrelated but i cant wait until Klimovich is in our lineup too

The guy is a freight train

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He lost this fight?  Looks like he destroyed Troy Terry with a huge hit and then stood up for himself against Ryan Getzlaf. The fight was even at best, only 4 punches were thrown…

I'd be curious to know how often the hitter loses these fights. 

Could see it going both ways... jacked up from giving a good hit, or the body is already at a disadvantage from the collision.

Hockey Fights is not the best measuring stick.  Fan voting at its "best", and yeah in this case it is an easy draw.

Hell, even if he loses those fights, if he throws those hits and draws some instigators, bring it on!  (just keep the hits clean and cut down on trips to the box)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2