The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Matt Irwin

23 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

So, Soucy, Cole and Irwin all added to the left side. I thought they would make space for Hirose after his great showing late last season. Hopefully they have a plan for Akito as I don't want him to be press-box surfing and getting cold like Rathbone last year.

If Hirose is on the opening day lineup, he will have to earn it. Nice audition late last season but if that was enough to earn him a spot open on an NHL blue line then we suck as a team. All these D signings are legit. This team needs depth and competition on the back end. Keep it coming.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Some day someone needs to write a book about the fan reaction to our current management.  They were heroes less than 24 hours in.  Villains less than 2 months in.  Heroes again soon after before fans once again hated them due to the Bruce situation.  Aaaand once again heroes now that we've made some good moves.

Haha funny little fanbase that we have.

Are you surprised? We can't even agree on a jersey?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Ok so I am reading that we want to win now and I guess we can win with Irwin right? Nothing against Irwin...but with limited money to spend on we could have done a lot better don't you think? 

Did you bother to look at the cap hit he signed for?  It limits the team in no way at all.

They could sign ten of these guys and have no cap implications.  People keep explaining this to you and  not sure how it isn’t computing.

There isn’t a limited amount of cash we can spend, there is limited cap space.  This has nothing to do with the latter as it is well below what can be buried.  It actually helps the cap Vs. Paying a kid a couple hundred grand more to sit on the bench.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's because we're not a homogeneous unit; it's only the loudest factions that get noticed, and there's no shortage of opinion in the fanbase in all directions.  :ph34r:

Agreed! There are some definite trends however.  That's all I'm referring to.  Some posters are SUPER impulsive and reactionary.  In my experience you are not one of them.  (Hence the thoughtfulness in this very response)  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is a “we want our young guys to develop in the minors instead of sitting on the bench” move.

Irwin is a solid, dependable veteran who will be a perfect 7-8 injury replacement.

Great insulator addition. Open to going to Abby if need be. Big body. Low money. Nice, frugal decisions by this management team. We asked for some work on the blue line and these guys have delivered without anchoring us to bad contracts for years to come. Really impressed.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I can be.  And I've also been called a "troll", a "homer", a "hater", and all sorts of words unfit for print.

But, as one famous hockey player once said, "It is what it is" (though I'm preferential to, "you are what you eat", and I draw the line at any form of toes...)

Being passionate does not = being impulsive/reactionary.  You can have a well thought out position that you passionately defend/believe in.  Disagreement is not a bad thing. (it's when people can't handle disagreement)  I actively encourage the guys working under me to let me know if they disagree with how I'm doing things.  They might be right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

So, Soucy, Cole and Irwin all added to the left side. I thought they would make space for Hirose after his great showing late last season. Hopefully they have a plan for Akito as I don't want him to be press-box surfing and getting cold like Rathbone last year.

Both Cole and Soucy play both sides FYI.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Surprised so many people don’t know who Irwin is.

He played for the Sharks when they beat us in 5 games in 2013…

It's amazing that people on these forums even watch this team, despite having an overabundance of opinions.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

$775K, how many NHL'ers with experience that's younger that will play at that amount?  Burroughs just signed for 3 years at $1.1 million. How is this awful?

Ok we just threw $775K cap space out the window when I rather grow some of our own young talents into the roster since we already have a good mix of some vets and younger D's. We don't need to add another Vet!! 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • RoughGame 1