The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Carolina looking to make major moves

NHL Trade Rumors: Carolina Hurricanes close to signing Vladimir Tarasenko (msn.com)

The summer heat is still rising in the NHL as trade talks continue to swirl around the Carolina Hurricanes.

With reports about the potential acquisition of Vladimir Tarasenko, availability of Brett Pesce and imminent arrival of Tony DeAngelo, the Hurricanes are making headlines as they aim to strengthen their roster for the upcoming season.

According to renowned insider David Pagnotta from Betway, everything appears to be aligning for Tarasenko to land in Raleigh. Although nothing is signed yet, there are indications that Tarasenko is leaning toward a one-year deal with the Hurricanes, possibly in the range of $3-4 million.

While a few teams are exploring the possibility of persuading him elsewhere, it seems increasingly likely that Tarasenko will don the Hurricanes' jersey next season.

However, the Hurricanes' activity doesn't stop there. Pagnotta said that the Tony DeAngelo acquisition is set to take place on July 8, adding another intriguing dimension to Carolina's defensive corps.

Amidst these changes, Brett Pesce has emerged as a trade asset. Pagnotta confirms that Pesce has provided a 15-team trade list, indicating his willingness to be moved.

Talks between the Hurricanes and Nashville Predators for a Pesce deal happened during the Draft but fell through. Nevertheless, discussions have now resumed, and renewed interest from Nashville suggests that Pesce could soon be departing Carolina.

• Thanks 2

Nashville is an odd suitor. They moved on from a lot of their core this offseason, aside from Josi and Saros. Why try and add Pesce? Their work has made it seem more like a rebuild, than the reset that the Blues have undergone. 

Edited by KirkSave
  • Like 1

Carolina only has $3.6 million in cap space for both DeAngelo and Tarasenko.  I don't see how they can fit them both in, even at 50% retention for DeAngelo.  Plus, with DeAngelo they'd have 5 RHD on the roster.  So this tells me that Pesce 100% will be traded, probably for forward help...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, KirkSave said:

Nashville is an odd suitor. They moved on from a lot of their core this offseason, aside from Josi and Saros. Why try and add Pesce? Their work has made it seem more like a rebuild, than the reset that the Blues have undergone. 

Something tells me Nashville will never through in the towel, and with shrewd management they might just bounce back quickly.

• Cheers 3

Willander is 2-3 years away, we don't want to rush him.  Let him stay at Boston University for at least 2 years, maybe 3.  So, I'm good with a Pesce trade and for him to partner Hughes. It would complete our defence.  Problem is what do we have to give up to get him and what does his extension look like?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Willander is 2-3 years away, we don't want to rush him.  Let him stay at Boston University for at least 2 years, maybe 3.  So, I'm good with a Pesce trade and for him to partner Hughes. It would complete our defence.  Problem is what do we have to give up to get him and what does his extension look like?

I'm guessing Van is on his 15 team no trade list.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm guessing Van is on his 15 team no trade list.

Could be.  It's a big list, almost half the league.  I remember a guy saying that alot of Americans had all the Canadian teams on their no trade list except Vancouver.  Can't remember who that player was...

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Could be.  It's a big list, almost half the league.  I remember a guy saying that alot of Americans had all the Canadian teams on their no trade list except Vancouver.  Can't remember who that player was...

After years of being "so close" with the Canes, I'd think his list would work include most of the teams perennially on the outside looking in.  However, Petey and Hughes could be a draw..........moot point as I doubt Van has the pieces to make that work.

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Possibly Brian Burke.  Heard that on the radio when he was promoting his book a couple of years ago.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d assume those lists have changed as teams have risen or fallen in and out of relevance 

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A lot of Canadians have all the Canadian teams on no trade list. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Marc Methot said that 

• Cheers 2