The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Auston Matthews close to signing a 3-5 year deal at $13.5 million AAV

Annual Average of Matthews’ Next Contract Done, Term Close (msn.com)

Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos shared what he’s hearing on the situation and insights from Elliotte Friedman, who appeared on NHL Network, shed a little more light on what’s going on. In fact, Kypreso indicated he’s spoken with multiple people and that the figure has been determined.

He joined the JD Bunkis Podcast and said:

“I don’t know whether we’re in a blinking contest or not between Nylander and Matthews or who needs to go first, but if I’m Auston Matthews, I’m not holding my breath on Nylander’s contract getting done at all at any point this summer. So, how far does Matthews want to go into the season, now, without a contract? If it is as close as everyone is reporting – and everyone that I’ve talked to says it’s a $13.5M AAV – then what is the term? I think for me, the biggest decision right now, which I think Auston can’t decide on or they haven’t made a final decision is, is how many years will what we believe is a $13.5M AAV last?”

With the number of years still not quite finalized, Friedman believes that an agreement will be reached and probably fairly soon. The exact terms and timing remain uncertain but he thinks the contract duration is expected to fall within the range of three to five years.

This is the double edged sword of playing for the Laffs. Matthews is a great player no doubt, but he doesn’t deserve a million more than McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl, etc. If it wasn’t for the Toronto hype machine pushing his reputation up this number would be lower.

The only way this really makes sense for Toronto is if they actually managed to get him on a reasonably long term. If it’s another short term extension I’ll be laughing.

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos shared what he’s hearing on the situation and insights from Elliotte Friedman, who appeared on NHL Network, shed a little more light on what’s going on. In fact, Kypreso indicated he’s spoken with multiple people and that the figure has been determined.

“I don’t know whether we’re in a blinking contest or not between Nylander and Matthews or who needs to go first, but if I’m Auston Matthews, I’m not holding my breath on Nylander’s contract getting done at all at any point this summer. So, how far does Matthews want to go into the season, now, without a contract? If it is as close as everyone is reporting – and everyone that I’ve talked to says it’s a $13.5M AAV – then what is the term? I think for me, the biggest decision right now, which I think Auston can’t decide on or they haven’t made a final decision is, is how many years will what we believe is a $13.5M AAV last?”

With the number of years still not quite finalized, Friedman believes that an agreement will be reached and probably fairly soon. The exact terms and timing remain uncertain but he thinks the contract duration is expected to fall within the range of three to five years.

3 years.  Just my opinion.

FWIW I dont see him as a $15 Mill player. Is there such a thing?  I also don't see him worth his current contract. But he holds all the leverage...  

As for Nylander > yeah Matthews is better, Marner.  Much better?   Nylander actually had the same forty goals & 2 more assists than Matthews this year.  Outproduced Tavares this year and last.  I can see why he would say why do these guys have more than $15 Mill extra in career earnings. I think he should hold out for $10 Mill.  The worst he could do is get $8.5M in a tax haven in the sun next summer.

The money Nylander did not get on his last deal was overpaid to Tavares / Marner / Matthews.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ok, is Matthews better than Petey? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Ok, is Matthews better than Petey? 

I don’t know how people think Pettersson is even remotely close to Matthews’ level. One is a 2x Hart nominee, 5x 40+ goal scorer (one of those years was a 60 goals season) and has been over a PPG player, throughout his career. The other, only has had one superb season, and 3 seasons under a PPG (didn’t count the 2021 season where he missed most of it). 

Even in Matthews’ “off” year. He still manage to score 40 goals, and have 80+ points.

But keep pumping Pettersson’s tires.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Three to five years...?  Seems short.

Matthews is about the flash of his cheque and the status that brings. He will want a term that ends very soon after McDavid’s next contract begins. Then he can leapfrog McDavid’s money and brag. 

If true, Matthews and his agent is really trying to squeeze the Leafs out of as much money as possible.

You are paying a massive premium w/o even having term. You could make an argument to sign Matthews with that cap hit but only if he's willing to sign for the full 8 years. 

But 3 or 5? And then asking for a raise after the contract is up? Ouch 

7 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Kyperos…..lol

Yup. Any hockey reporting gets a lot of reads in Toronto. Add that it’s about the Leafs and Matthews signing an extension and that’s going to be devoured by Leaf fans. IMHAO Matthews signs for 3 years at 14+ per or he walks as a UFA July 1, 2024. He has 100% of the negotiating leverage. The can’t trade him. They either give in to all his contract demands or he leaves after this year and they get nothing for him. I guess Tredieing could trade him for Huberdough and Weegar! :lol:

Honestly, that's how it should be 3-5 years deal but paid their true value.  Those 7-8 years deal only makes the player complacent and always becomes an albatross by the end of it (except for the exceptional players).    Nowadays, players are more interesting in securing their future than actually winning or living up to expectations.

It might seems like Matthews is showing no loyalty or commitment to Toronto, but I have to give him credit for taking controlling his future and having options while risking injury of declining performances.  Unlike Dubois who forced himself out of Winnipeg, Matthews is still giving time to Toronto while not closing the doors to signing elsewhere in the future (or back in Toronto if he thinks that where he wants to be).

We often complains that we cannot get local boys to play for their hometown team.  Draft has become so competitive that everything needs to fall into place to draft an elite local boy.  After that they sign an 3 years ELC, something a bridge deal and then an 8 years deal.   By then they are wait past their prime most of the time.   Shorter term contract would means potentially losing players earlier, but also opening more possibilities.  Free agent Frenzy would become more relevant instead of getting excited about above average players who gets overpaid most of the time.

• Like 1

so let me get this straight..........$13.5 to someone who ain't won anything significant?

who disappears come playoffs? won't play defense? 

sign me up!!!

P.S. staying with the Laffs at that price..........priceless !!!

• Cheers 2

I don't think 13.5, if that is the number, is that far off value when you go by % of cap and not just AAV.  He does produce goals, and the McDavid/Draisaitl contracts people like to bring up are 6yo now.  He's got a NMC and hes approaching UFA in the middle of his prime - he's got leverage in the most scrutinized market in all of hockey,  if he signs for way less % of cap I'd be quite surprised.   

• Upvote 1

According to some Toronto analysts, 13.5M AAV would be a discount for Matthews - but I don't think they're referring to short term deal. If McDavid doesn't exist, Matthews would be the best player in the league in their minds. I can't agree with that until he performs in the post season when it matters. 

Matthews signing only for 3 years means he's likely not resigning after this contract. This is the best window they have to win. 

This would start next year after the cap starts to climb.  

It is less than McDavid took on a % of cap when signed.

This is less than was expected to make.

This guy has always been about the money and staying and playing as a star in Toronto is likely as good a financial position as you can get in from a sponsorship perspective.  If he can somehow win a cup there it will be that at an exponential level.

He bets on himself with these short term deals and they are how he maximizes his earnings.

I bet the next deal he takes will be a long term one as his value will start to decline so he will try to lock in maximum value for as long as possible at that time.

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't think 13.5, if that is the number, is that far off value when you go by % of cap and not just AAV.  He does produce goals, and the McDavid/Draisaitl contracts people like to bring up are 6yo now.  He's got a NMC and hes approaching UFA in the middle of his prime - he's got leverage in the most scrutinized market in all of hockey,  if he signs for way less % of cap I'd be quite surprised.   

I’ve always said, MacKinnon should be the standard for the next batch of contracts. No one should be paid more than him, until McDavid’s next contract (despite cap going up).