The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

24 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Fanta impressed me most, $ for $ of all our D this playoff, Hughes aside obviously.

ON TOPIC: Can Olli Juolevi stand tall and clear the crease at all, a la Edler?

He's got the size to try it on.  Haven't seen him play enough at this level to know, but there were a few encouraging reports of meanness from Utica last year. 

I was happy with Fanta's play as well. Smart, safe plays. Perfectly fine as a 7th/6th guy. Pretty useless offensively, though.

Sure hope OJ can be effective next year - even in a bottom pairing capacity. It would be especially nice if he could manage to feed the forwards quickly and put up some points of his own. We had difficulty breaking through the tough Vegas lines and really need more from the d to be able to transition. We can't rely on Hughes to be the only offensive driver from the backend.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, BoKnows said:

I wasn't impressed with him these play offs.  As a 7th I wouldn't mind him back, especially if he rotates games with Benn.

what do you expect him to be a top 4 dman? For what he is he played exceptionally well. You couldn't ask for anything more..

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, J-P said:

If there is no AHL I would love to see Jonah, Kole and Rathbone in the SHL.

European spots are going to be hard to come by, so those teams aren’t going to give out clauses for NHL returns. We will also need extra black aces on an expanded roster for the big club next season if there is no feeder league.  The NHL/AHL needs to give an answer on what they are going to do in regards to this sooner rather than later so the kids have some idea what to do.

Lind, Hoglander, Rathbone, Rafferty at the very least would be guys that we would have to keep close for injury replacements.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

European spots are going to be hard to come by, so those teams aren’t going to give out clauses for NHL returns. We will also need extra black aces on an expanded roster for the big club next season if there is no feeder league.  The NHL/AHL needs to give an answer on what they are going to do in regards to this sooner rather than later so the kids have some idea what to do.

Lind, Hoglander, Rathbone, Rafferty at the very least would be guys that we would have to keep close for injury replacements.

3 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

Hopefully Juolevi just stays with the Canucks and this won't be an issue. 

Players around the league are signing loan contracts that give them an out when camp starts. This isn't regular circumstances.

• Cheers 1

Boston already loaned 2015 bust first rounder Jakub Zboril to the Czech leauge.  at this point I am happy with any leauge our guys end up with.  keep in mind other athletes are trying to also make a living too in whatever leauge's, even if Kole Lind ends up in Austria or something I am fine with that or if Lockwood ends up in a tier 2 German Leauge ice time is better then no time. 

I think with the likelihood of Stecher getting shipped out, Juolevi better stay with the team because he might find himself as our 6th defenceman or at least on a rotating with Benn which would be great for him. Just keep the kid around the team - he's got to make a jump in at some point. To be fair, Rafferty probably deserves a shot more than Juolevi but with such potential and such a high pick we have to try and get Juolevi consistently into the NHL, and now's his chance.

Condensed season, lots of back-to-backs, it'll be good to rotate the defencemen and almost have Team 1 and Team 2 so to speak, which is where depth on defence is vital. Teams do it with goalies but if there's going to be these ridiculous 5-games-in-7-nights then I think we'll need to have the odd game to rest guys like Edler/Myers or they'll just crumble.

Get Juolevi and Rafferty in there alternating in the bottom-2 with Benn and Fantenberg. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Provost said:

European spots are going to be hard to come by, so those teams aren’t going to give out clauses for NHL returns. 

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think with the likelihood of Stecher getting shipped out, Juolevi better stay with the team because he might find himself as our 6th defenceman or at least on a rotating with Benn which would be great for him. 

This:

14 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Players around the league are signing loan contracts that give them an out when camp starts. This isn't regular circumstances.

Hoglander already signed a contract with an out clause to come to Canucks camp (and season if he makes the cut).

This will just allow a bunch of young guys the ability to keep playing hockey and continue developing rather than playing no competitive hockey for like a year. Juolevi ESPECIALLY, needs the play time after having missed so much due to injuries.

Same reason Tryamkin signed back in the K (though it's unclear/unlikely he has an out clause). But he wanted to play before December/January.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

This:

Hoglander already signed a contract with an out clause to come to Canucks camp (and season if he makes the cut).

This will just allow a bunch of young guys the ability to keep playing hockey and continue developing rather than playing no competitive hockey for like a year. Juolevi ESPECIALLY, needs the play time after having missed so much due to injuries.

Same reason Tryamkin signed back in the K (though it's unclear/unlikely he has an out clause). But he wanted to play before December/January.

I believe Tryamkin does not.

• Cheers 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, aGENT said:

This:

Exactly.  My one concern would be managing their minutes once they're back to avoid them being gassed near the end of the season.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:00 PM, Pete M said:

OJ is still listed on the current roster....sign of the times and yet to come. He will be on the team this coming season.

This appeared in the Province recently

"At even strength, Cull and his coaching staff often had Juolevi deployed alongside Ashton Sautner, one of the Comets’ most reliable and rugged blue-liners, facing down the opposition’s top forwards."

So why aren't we talking about Sautner more, politics ? rather than Juolevi

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

This appeared in the Province recently

"At even strength, Cull and his coaching staff often had Juolevi deployed alongside Ashton Sautner, one of the Comets’ most reliable and rugged blue-liners, facing down the opposition’s top forwards."

So why aren't we talking about Sautner more, politics ? rather than Juolevi

Likely ceiling of a 6-8/AHL guy, 26 years old, on an expiring deal.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1