The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm not even mad about how they handled the situation. Understood the reasons at the time. And once Stech was here on his second stint, they gave him plenty of opportunity and he earned the spot and never looked back.

I just don't get why they try sell it as something else.

The truth was fine. Why mess with it?

Probably spoke out of incorrectly. been a long season.

15 minutes ago, xereau said:

I really want to hear some candid talk on our D.  We have some amazing forward prospects.  But our D cupboard is like a can of corn or two away from being completely empty.

How do they plan to address the regressive tendencies of Edler and Sbisa?  Who are they going to protect on D?  If the Canucks do not get #1 or #2, will they trade down and take another D?

Sbisa and Tanev were our best defencemen this year. If Edler is here at Sbisa's expense it will be a mistake, but who they protect largely has to do with what happens via trade prior to the expansion draft.

Right now they protect Tanev, Gudbranson, and one of Sbisa or Edler depending on who they value more.

A trade involving a defenceman almost definitely happens before June 18th. 

Willie Desjardins was never anything but honest and positive all 3 seasons he was here. I never saw any signs of players having tuned him out, or anything like that. He had to be fired because why put him through another season like this next year?

He was brought in to coach a team he was told was just retooling and getting younger but looking to get back to playoff contention. When we had a team of decent veteran core players, he delivered what was expected of him. He was maybe out-coached in that series with Calgary, but the guys on the ice got outplayed. How do you blow that lead in game 6 with an opportunity to bring it back home for game 7?? I don't blame Willie there as much as the guys on the ice.

Even this year, the talk was of competing for a playoff spot, and for a short time they did that, and again Desjardins tried to deliver on that. I think there was mixed messages most of the year about wether or not we were a playoff team, or developing. Then he sees 2 of his 5 veteran forwards traded away, and he still had us competing as best we could with AHL'ers, journeymen D-men playing forward, college kids and Swiss leaguers every night.

For me he over-acheived in year 1, and maybe he underacheived a bit in the 2nd year, but no one could've gotten more out of this group than he did. This was probably one of the worst teams the Canucks have ever iced since the mid 80s. Worse than any Messier era team was. If not for goaltending we would have been lucky to have more points than the AVs.

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

WTF was JB talking about when he said Stecher earned a spot out of training camp and they made room for him?

Somehow I remember Stecher being assigned to Utica before the Canucks opened the season. And then recalled due to injuries. And then Stecher getting reassigned (so they could keep Biega and Larsen), when they had 9 Ds. And then recalled when Tanev went on IR.

How is that earning a spot out of camp?

How is that making room?

Seems like JB's memory is a little selective here.

When I saw Stecher live in pre-season, he was clearly our best D-man (and Gudbranson, Hutton were there). If it were a Rep tryout, he's what the crowd would have said "noticeable".

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I am so done with Edler. His disinterested play, continuous big mistakes, zero pushback and emotion.

Loved seeing Hutton drop the gloves last night, and you can bet it was because Horvat dropped them game before. I love these new guys. They're wide-eyed, engaged and competitive, and I'm sure they have a lot of fun out there.

Edler just looks miserable, and at his age now, he's not going to get better.

I hear ya, dude has been on my s&*t list for a while.. Years ago, it all started with broken sticks and shin pads, but anyways -

I keep asking myself- "Who on the team would do better than Edler, playing 25mins a night?" I keep coming up with nothing more than Gillis' old mantra - "Defense by committee".

It's not like we're going anywhere next season, yet Edler still wants to remain in Vancouver, why? Does he hate winning? Does he genuinely not give a crap? Because his play most nights tells me he doesn't care at all. Hopefully JB's over him too,  is eager to shed some more of that stale old core and is willing to make a tough play - "Alex, waive that NTC or I'm exposing you to Vegas, baby, Vegas."

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I hear ya, dude has been on my s&*t list for a while.. Years ago, it all started with broken sticks and shin pads, but anyways -

I keep asking myself- "Who on the team would do better than Edler, playing 25mins a night?" I keep coming up with nothing more than Gillis' old mantra - "Defense by committee".

It's not like we're going anywhere next season, yet Edler still wants to remain in Vancouver, why? Does he hate winning? Does he genuinely not give a crap? Because his play most nights tells me he doesn't care at all. Hopefully JB's over him too,  is eager to shed some more of that stale old core and is willing to make a tough play - "Alex, waive that NTC or I'm exposing you to Vegas, baby, Vegas."

I agree. IMO, I think Edler is just lazy and hates packing and moving. Not sure it has anything to do with hockey. Just quietly collecting his millions.  

11 minutes ago, b3. said:

Linden is so scared to say the "R" word.

Rebuild, rebuild, reeeeeeeebuild.

I think he's less afraid than he is spiteful.

the fans and media are the ones hung up on the semantics of the word choice. to quote linden in that interview, "call it whatever you want."

For me sadly it's really simple.  For this team moving forward and due to contracts and ensuing NTC's

Edler either has to be asked to waive or told he's being exposed (yes I know...but if he refuses to waive there's literally 0 recourse for 2 more seasons no less)

Tanev has to be shopped at least to see what the interest is, whether a trade is made or not it has to happen.

Juolevi needs a spot and even though I think it's against his best interests development wise they'll have him on the team with Boeser as our youth infusion next season.

Something has to give on the blue line.  It's far to crowded and this team is starting to develop needs in other areas

10 minutes ago, b3. said:

Even when Donnie sets it up for him by nicely suggesting that its fair to now call it a rebuild.

I think we are seeing a stubborn streak in Trevor we haven't seen since the 94 SCF.

I mean of course they are rebuilding the team. Why not just say it? Meh, I don't really care if he does or not, but its funny how he and JB have built a wall around that word.

20 minutes ago, b3. said:

Yet, he's so in touch with the fan base and their love for young players, as he just said?

Then why wouldn't he know they want a full, hard rebuild and want those exciting young kids?

If he said rebuild, at least he'd appease some fans, the customers.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yet, he's so in touch with the fan base and their love for young players, as he just said?

Then who wouldn't he know they want a full, hard rebuild and want those exciting young kids?

If he said rebuild, at least he'd appease some fans, the customers.

There's one very important person it may not appease......

From what I can gather from a quick glance over the summary provided ( Thank's op, + to you ) Linden & Benning knew it was going to take shedding the contracts from the prior regime to really start building things back up.

Now, they could have made a few decisions differently and pushed a few players out sooner, but no GM/President is perfect. If you looked at all 30 ( soon to be 31 ) teams and compiled a list of mistakes made by their respective management teams it would be a rather long list.

Last years Draft forward and this years of-season will really set the tone / pace of the "Re-Build" going forward.

If anything its unfortunate that Management felt the need to Bring in Loui Eriksson ( A move I will admit to being probably 60/40 in favor of at the time ) as even B.Sutter has a contract that is set to expire, right around the time the new core currently being assembled will start to really be cemented.

This year was an absolute Fluster Cuck, which with current pre-lottery draft positioning was probably the best outcome we could have hoped for ( save for it happening last year, but " Le Sigh " 20/20 right? , bar cracking a few key players knees before the last 5 games of the season, the Canucks seemed poised to finish the previous year in the #2 draft slot as well ) allowing Benning to solidify either the C position of get a true PMD .

Archived