The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think this is why we have to focus on the future and not the now

Move players at the TDL and make smart picks at the draft

IMO, if we can somehow get another 1st, we would be in a fantastic position to pick 2 great Dmen, as well as another forward

I can't hang my hat on winning 1st overall.......but there are enough other great Dmen prospects in the top 20

As for Pettersson, he brings skill, creativity and speed........complimentary things that go with our other prospects........ 

We just have to develop a couple of top end Dmen............

This takes time!.....Just time!

There are bunch of good D yes I just hope we won't have to wait 3-4 years for this one to step on the ice. JB needs to pull a Chychrun Sergachev Werenski out of this draft and get a D who can step in sooner than say a Juolevi type. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Let's examine how the rebuild is going.  A year ago, the Canucks had lost their way.  Benning was useless.  Three drafts had passed and they were on their way to bottoming out.

Today, all of a sudden, the Canucks have the best prospect pool they may have ever had and the future looks bright.  We just have to wait for them to hit the NHL.  See how quickly the worm turns?

Now, there are calls from the local impatient press to trade away some key players like Tanev who may net good assets in return and the rebuild will finally be wonderful.

The Canucks are closer than anybody thinks.  Their prospects just aren't ready for prime time.  Most of them are in the system.  They need a few more but there is no need to jettison the veteran talent they still have who will be able to shelter their way into the NHL.  That is the way Benning et al are bringing the kids along.  Don't throw them into the deep end of the pool.

Things are ticking along just fine imo.

I can't disagree with you CC

But that is not to say, Benning should not try to improve his pick allotment 

Even if we were not to get a first by sending away an Edler/Gudbranson

We could move this years 2nd and next years 2nd and Vanek for an improved pick, "IF" the option presented itself

I am not saying do it, but I hope it is an option that Benning considers, if the prize is worth it

But we should take this discussion to the proper forum.......sorry! This is Pettersson's forum right?! LOL

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

There are bunch of good D yes I just hope we won't have to wait 3-4 years for this one to step on the ice. JB needs to pull a Chychrun Sergachev Werenski out of this draft and get a D who can step in sooner than say a Juolevi type. 

If Nikita comes back and OJ comes as advertised.... watch out.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, The Lock said:

As already shown in evidence by a couple of people, I think the evidence shows that size isn't what defines a cup contender, nor should it be really. Rarely do we see teams like Boston make it and more often we see teams with more faster, skilled players like Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Another example is Winnipeg. They've been a huge team. but until Scheifele and Laine showed up, they were pretty bad. Now they have skill and they're good. Toughness alone did diddly squat.

I think a more accurate description would be "For a cup contender the Canucks need more skill at forward and defense before they should even think about toughness.

I think way too many people on these boards are focused on toughness. I think people remember the Vancouver/Boston series and immediately assume, but it's misleading. It's just one series that has proven to be the "odd one out".

My comment on size is based on durability during a playoff run not 'toughness' which I assume is fighting. Not sure what you meant. Along the same lines I am not saying there is not room for smaller players, there is. My issue with the Canucks is a need for bigger players who can play a physical game the way Virtanen-Dowd-Gaunce have been doing the past half dozen games. It does not mean a lot during the regular season but playoffs are another style of game. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

One guy, who could carry 25 to 30 minutes a night, playing 5 on 5, and PP would change our D instantly.  Guddy and Edler could focus on Dzone starts and PK.  Hutton, Pouliot, and Stetcher could play softer minutes for sure.  I'd send MDZ off to the fashion magazine cover shoots.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

One guy, who could carry 25 to 30 minutes a night, playing 5 on 5, and PP would change our D instantly.  Guddy and Edler could focus on Dzone starts and PK.  Hutton, Pouliot, and Stetcher could play softer minutes for sure.  I'd send MDZ off to the fashion magazine cover shoots.

OEL. Come on down. July 1st 2019 here we go.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My comment on size is based on durability during a playoff run not 'toughness' which I assume is fighting. Not sure what you meant. Along the same lines I am not saying there is not room for smaller players, there is. My issue with the Canucks is a need for bigger players who can play a physical game the way Virtanen-Dowd-Gaunce have been doing the past half dozen games. It does not mean a lot during the regular season but playoffs are another style of game. 

Ya. I am guilty of using the word size and toughness. But really its more just hard to paly against that I mean. The kind of player that when you go out for a faceoff and you look up over and think....Frik.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I can't disagree with you CC

But that is not to say, Benning should not try to improve his pick allotment 

Even if we were not to get a first by sending away an Edler/Gudbranson

We could move this years 2nd and next years 2nd and Vanek for an improved pick, "IF" the option presented itself

I am not saying do it, but I hope it is an option that Benning considers, if the prize is worth it

But we should take this discussion to the proper forum.......sorry! This is Pettersson's forum right?! LOL

Trading Tanev would be stupid. He is young and valuable. Players need to learn from pros. Just look at Edmonton. The picks we get today will be tomorrows discounts. If we keep Tanev his style he will be a great shutdown defenseman until 34 ish maybe 36. |No point having top guns with out stud defensemen. ie Willie Mitchell. Back to Edmonton. Maybe their struggles have a lot to do with not knowing how to win. Something that might not change  in the near future. All the players have been brought up with a losing culture that lacked structure. Seems like the same kind of hockey in Edmonton as 4 years ago. Blow a team out of the building followed by 3 or 4 loses. We have to be careful not to deplete our team of Veterns just to stockpile young players. Next year we could have a few younger forwards in our line-up. Then we will need the Gudbranson's and Tanevs , to allow growth and stability for EP, BB, and others. I swear our Media want us to follow Edmontons model because they are not Canucks fans. If JB is fired I also think a few media personal should be fired also. Its not like they report hockey anymore, they try to sound like smart Hockey people and that they know better. Take Tony Gallegar  quick to point out all JB's mistakes, How about posting some of his mistakes, Different ballgame.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Trading Tanev would be stupid. He is young and valuable. Players need to learn from pros. Just look at Edmonton. The picks we get today will be tomorrows discounts. If we keep Tanev his style he will be a great shutdown defenseman until 34 ish maybe 36. |No point having top guns with out stud defensemen. ie Willie Mitchell. Back to Edmonton. Maybe their struggles have a lot to do with not knowing how to win. Something that might not change  in the near future. All the players have been brought up with a losing culture that lacked structure. Seems like the same kind of hockey in Edmonton as 4 years ago. Blow a team out of the building followed by 3 or 4 loses. We have to be careful not to deplete our team of Veterns just to stockpile young players. Next year we could have a few younger forwards in our line-up. Then we will need the Gudbranson's and Tanevs , to allow growth and stability for EP, BB, and others. I swear our Media want us to follow Edmontons model because they are not Canucks fans. If JB is fired I also think a few media personal should be fired also. Its not like they report hockey anymore, they try to sound like smart Hockey people and that they know better. Take Tony Gallegar  quick to point out all JB's mistakes, How about posting some of his mistakes, Different ballgame.

The injuries are piling up on Tanev. I'm not confident he would endure a playoff run. 

If JB gets a serious offer he should consider it.