The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Ryan White with Canucks

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Just to be clear, no signing.   He isn't anything more than present at camp on a try out basis.   He has no other contract with Vancouver Canucks - no commitment whatsoever and can be asked to leave camp at any point during camp up until camp breaks or they choose to sign him.

You're right I used the wrong word.

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

13 fwd spots. Sedin Sedin horvat Erickson granlund baertschi sutter gagner boeser that's 9.

That leaves gaunce goldobin Burmistrov dahlen virtanen megna Chaput Molino Dorsett rodin boucher and now white all going after 4 spots. 12 guys. 4 spots. Add labate Maybe macewen More to come?  Lol. 

There's a point at which competition becomes mass confusion.  Are the coaching staff gonna see enough of each guy to make the right call?

Guess we'll see.

Boeser is a long way from being guaranteed a roster spot.

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Nice PTO to sign. No risk at all with high reward. He's a grinder who is physical, chips in with the odd point and can provide some energy to a arena with a fight, hit. Excited to see how he fits in

I'm fine with bringing White in as a PTO but I think calling this a potential "high reward" is a bit optimistic. Will happily eat my words later though!

I really like Ryan White.  Tough as nails, fearless, and versatile.  Can play wing and centre, has been good in the faceoffs draws, fights, plays important minutes on the PK (which could free up guys like Bo to play more offensive roles).

Ideally he would be a great 13th forward for us.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Boeser is a long way from being guaranteed a roster spot.

Are you kidding me Boeser scored 4 goals in 9 games?? Boeser will be a 25 goal guy this year??

I don't think you have watched much hockey..This kid has so much talent and only 20 yrs old..

Top 6 forward from game 1 of the season... He knows how to score we have lacked this for years..

Natural talent.. 

Might even win Rookie of the year in NHL...1.line   Boser - Bo -- Bart 

2.line  sedin - sedin - Grandlund

4 minutes ago, combover said:

Lol.

bennings can't be choosers. 

Que the "foundational" nonsense to justify it or "we really like him" 

Queue the monkey rolling around flinging their own poop at their computer and calling it a worthy contribution.

Thanks Comb

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Cool. I'd be thrilled if he took Dorsett's job. We can't have 2 of them though, that'd be redundant. 

after reading the other comments maybe I'm wrong, maybe he might be a good gamble.... but you're right, where does that leave Dorsett? 

27 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

It's a PTO, there is no risk.  If he earns a spot, he didn't "take" it from anybody, he earned it. Lots of competition this year for the bottom 6, I like it.

I like this thinking.

8 hours ago, Ronning4center said:

I don't know guys...9 goals, can hit and fight.  Derek dorsett replacement in case he can't go?  We need some grit in the lineup.  I'm a fan of this :)

8 hours ago, mll said:

He must feel he has a legit chance to get a job - he knows Newell Brown who has already brought in Burmistrov.  

8 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Nice PTO to sign. No risk at all with high reward. He's a grinder who is physical, chips in with the odd point and can provide some energy to a arena with a fight, hit. Excited to see how he fits in

I agree with all these statements. As has been much-discussed, the Canucks are an extremely soft team. And with Burrows and Hansen gone, and Dorsett a question mark, what little grit they had in the forwards last year is largely gone. The odds are against him making the team but the Canucks could certainly use his toughness.

6 hours ago, Western Red said:

Fair enough. Philly may have a steal in Gostisbehere, but Voracek makes 10m this year! Sorry geeking out on nhlnumbers.com

Back on topic, White might get a 2 way for Utica, no problem there.

Veteran spots are limited in the AHL.  Only 6 veterans can play per game (260 pro-games) and no more than 5 can have more than 320 pro-games. They already have 4 veterans of over 320 games signed to AHL deals.

Many have Megna and Chaput in the AHL and both have 320 games - a vet will be healthy scratched each game.  It becomes crowded in Utica if they also add White and who knows who else gets sent down. Biega, Burmistrov, Rodin and Wiercioch are at 320 games. Boucher and maybe Holm (not sure how they count Allsvenskan) are at 260 games.

Archived