The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Re-signing Edler to Canucks

18 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If leaving VAN was a major worry for Eddy im surprised he would push for 4 (if its a 4 year deal).  Doubt Seattle would waste a pick on a guy that would be there 1 year.  

Was just thinking this. Did Eddie asking for 4 just seal his fate that Seattle takes him? One year left they for sure say nay, but two years left they may say yay.

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Was just thinking this. Did Eddie asking for 4 just seal his fate that Seattle takes him? One year left they for sure say nay, but two years left they may say yay.

Meh. Maybe Seattle takes him if only a year was left to deal him at the deadline. In the end I just dont see them taking a dman of Eddys age. Eddy will be 35 at the expansion draft. 

5-5.5 is a pretty fair value if it's for 4 years. He will be a top 4D for the first 2 years of the contract and should get paid around 6-6.5. The latter 2, he might be on the 3rd pairing, and probably around 3.5-4.5 range.

If it's for 3 years, I think the Edler gave the Canucks a discount.

I'm happy that he is back. We couldn't afford to lose Edler, replacing him would have been very hard.

45 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Its not, its as bad as Ristolainen but we wouldn't have to give up assets. Ristolainen isn't going to be easy to trade for. You're looking at minimum a 1st and a prospect. Gardiner and Risto are offensive dmen that have below average defensive capabilities. The difference is one we get without giving assets.

I'd strongly prefer not acquiring a defenseman who can't play defense.  Weber, Larsen, and Pouliot were bad enough.

47 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not as bad as Myers will look with what he will sign for and objectively a better D man, just older. 

Seems fair.  He has always taken below market to help the team.

Hope he retires a Canuck.  

Did the Canucks sign Myers? Or are they going to?

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Meh. Maybe Seattle takes him if only a year was left to deal him at the deadline. In the end I just dont see them taking a dman of Eddys age. Eddy will be 35 at the expansion draft. 

Unless Edler maintains his current level of play and scores 35-45 points. Unlikely for a 35 year old to do so especially as Hughes will take over PP time but you never know. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Honest question.

who here actually thinks Seattle would poach edler?

i don’t.

I do, obviously depends who else will be available but I think he will be a good option for them. 

Also depends if he has a full NTC in his last year.

Edited by brian42
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd strongly prefer not acquiring a defenseman who can't play defense.  Weber, Larsen, and Pouliot were bad enough.

Im with you Heffy. I was just saying I would prefer Gardiner to Risto because of the cost to acquire. Id rather have neither. They cant play defense and that's a concern we need to address this year.