The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

In scouting reports, you hear people say that Quinn Hughes' skating and edge work are elite, Boeser's release is quick and his shot is accurate, E.P.'s hockey IQ and visions are exceptional. I hear people say that Vasily is skilled, but nothing in particular. I would have to agree that he is a skilled player, but his most outstanding feature is his on ice compete level. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Why do discussions have to be black and white? Why can't a player be skilled in the sense that he was picked in the 1st round but not particularly skilled compared to his peers on the very top of 2019 draft? 

No one said discussions have to be black and white. Where did you get that?

You are saying you think Vasily is not skilled. So you better be ready to tell others some legitimate reasons why, other than posting some youtube videos anyone could watch.  Your "analysis" directly goes against what many actual NHL scouts say. You just again typed "he was picked in the 1st round but not particularly skilled compared to his peers on the very top of 2019 draft?"

Actual scouts would laugh at your statement.

So as I said, when you contradict actual professionals and their opinions on Vasily, you better be able to say why.

• Wat 2

Not saying I’m concerned but can admit that I’m extremely interested in how Podz’ game looks when he comes over for the CIBC challenge series (and the World Juniors for that matter). 

Repeat - not concerned and not an alarmist. Just extremely interested.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Because Podz is not following a normal development path largely due to his KHL club's internal method.  He has two lower level league teams that he also plays on.  

He is getting the hard treatment at the KHL level.  One mistake and benched.  Older veterans who have already proved themselves will play over Podz and Podz has to wait for an opportunity and 'earn' his minutes.  

If that was it, then Podz would be in trouble, but he also gets to go down to the VHL (AHL equal) and MHL (CHL equal) and dominate against his peers.  

Had we been able to develop Virtannen in this method, I believe he would have had a much better path to the NHL.  

Due to this rather complicated route, stat watchers are particularly weak in their analysis, too many variables to account for easily.  Analytics is also out the window.  

So the normal armchair scout cannot get a good read on Podz.  So in the vaccum, Podz cannot be as skilled as other picks because look at their numbers as compared to an incomparable method.  Podz is playing at a higher level than practically everyone else drafted with Kakko and Hughes as the exceptions.  

is he a playmaker, scorer or just a two way grinder?  He looks to be all 3 or is that just how he is deployed in different leagues? 

Really, outside of Stierlitz, who else on this board can say they watch his games and have a strong understanding of the Russian hockey system?  

Wait and see, be patient and IMO Podz is the Russian Bo.  

I’m really excited to watch him play a big role at the world juniors.  Playing against his peers should give us a good idea about his offensive potential.  Even if it is a short tournament.

3 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I’m really excited to watch him play a big role at the world juniors.  Playing against his peers should give us a good idea about his offensive potential.  Even if it is a short tournament.

He’s on the Russian team touring in November too.  They play six games against three CHL all star teams.  Someone posted the schedule.  

This kid is still super young. He has two more world junior tournaments to play as a leader of the team before he makes the jump over here. I for one am excited to see how this 18 y/o kid develops over the next two years. He is seemingly getting more comfortable at each level as the season progresses. He looks to be too good for the MHL, is one of the more significant contributors in the VHL and I would say is bound to break out a bit at the KHL at some point this season. I could see him being a contributing regular in the KHL by seasons end. But if not, nothing to worry about. Still has another season over there. Super young. 

• Like 1

this might have been shared, incase it's been buried, here are all his goals in his draft year.

I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but the goals he's scored in these highlights can be a solid indicator of how he will get his points in the NHL.  deking driving the net, etc etc.  how can this guy not remind you of Bo Horvat?  Vasily "Pot goals in" is going to make some teams who drafted ahead of us regret for not taking him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

I'm wondering too if he's like the Russian skilled biega, always hounding on the puck and always attacking,, but sometimes it costs him, which is to be expected from a 18 year old playing in a men's league, but if he's anything like bull dog was he'll be a NHL regular and of he has the skills the scouts say he does then he'll be a productive top 6 guy for sure 

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

this might have been shared, incase it's been buried, here are all his goals in his draft year.

I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but the goals he's scored in these highlights can be a solid indicator of how he will get his points in the NHL.  deking driving the net, etc etc.  how can this guy not remind you of Bo Horvat?  Vasily "Pot goals in" is going to make some teams who drafted ahead of us regret for not taking him.  

Yes, he does have a similar game to Bo.  Along with the offensive characteristics, he also plays well in his own end.  He is a team leader and, as we all know,  has a huge drive to win. 

He must have a closet full of uniforms for that season. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just to let you guys know that the best young Russian players are split into two teams to participate in two U20 tournaments happening at the same time: CIBC superseries in Canada and U20 4-Nation tournament in Helsinki, Finland. Some team leaders, namely D Alexander Romanov and F Grigory Denisenko are going to play in Finland, along with the best goalie prospect for 2020 draft Yaroslav Askarov. And the permanent Podkolzin's centre in the national team Kirill Marchenko will be in Helsinki as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On October 25, 2019 at 12:34 PM, Maddogy said:

Why do discussions have to be black and white? Why can't a player be skilled in the sense that he was picked in the 1st round but not particularly skilled compared to his peers on the very top of 2019 draft? 

I think the problem is you comparing apples and oranges....

for example would you compare MT and Johnny hockey? Or if your old enough to remember would you compare Bert and Nazzy??

two skilled guys in their own right but you can't really compare the two cause they play different styles...

VP will probably be the best pwf out of his draft, when your looking at the draft , you can't look at it like say five years ago, where VP might and I say might have fallen, in today's games guys like VP,MT and Brady are the rare gems now....

so what I'm trying to say is you can't / shouldn't compare skill guys to guys like VP. Guys like VP arnt in ever draft but softer skill players are....so you have to take that into consideration too.....

I am certain this video might have been posted earlier, that said if so I will post this again.

this is probably one of the best break downs available.... well.... on YouTube... he is pretty much giving an honest opinion based on 7 games he was able to catch on tv I believe.  He is up right honest, no bull, and nothing more.  

Despite his conclusion of this pick, after this video I am actually even more excited for this pick.  He wasn't to fond of his lack of play making, and some agility will make him better.  He points out that he is a straight line player, I personally think there is a good and a bad to what PotGoalsIn can do, check it out from the beginning boys I tell you this video is more worth it then the other one I posted.

anyways, from what gather, he sounds like a another bo Horvat in the sense, that Podkolzin never quite and is a relentless forechecker if the puck is not in his teams possession.  anyways I can't wait for him to actually get here, I am ok with the 2nd line label, because he is going to be a wrecking machine for us in our top 6.  I can very much see why he was a top 10 pick, also news that Philly waited for us to make our pick, because there were rumors that Philly wanted Podkozin also, and if he was not there they would trade down, which they did. 

On 10/25/2019 at 11:40 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I just want to say that Podkolzin's lack of production through league play in his draft year was probably more of a factor in him dropping to 10th overall than his 2 year KHL contract. 

I agree 100%.  Many top prospects play outside of the NHL for 2 years after the draft.  I really don't think teams shied away from him for that reason, it was because he didn't produce enough to take a risk on him with a top 5 pick.