The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Myers as a forward

Remember what Chicago did with Dustin Byfuglien?

Originally a defenseman at the start of the 2007–08 season, he was moved to a right wing position to give the team a larger body near the net.

What if we find that Myers is better suited for his offensive skills, making life difficult for goalies, and using that long reach to poke in rebounds and get the ugly goals. Could he be an interesting option for Bo's second line winger? 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearsons Horvat Myers 

Leivo Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Edler Stetcher

Hughes Tanev 

Hutton Benn 

Markstrom

Demko

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 8

It's not the most insane idea I've ever heard, but close. I think if we somehow Juolevi is a top 4 guy right out of training camp and we find ourselves with an excess in defensemen, maybe then, but even if that unlikely event occurs, I'm not sure I'd do it.

Doing that would be pretty bold but also very stupid.  Difference with Byfulgien started early in his career as a forward, Myers is 29 and has played solely Defence in his 10 year career.  Asking a 29 year old to play a completely different position in his first year of a huge deal with a new team seems like a terrible idea. You can destroy a guy's confidence like that. 

Not to mention that also reflects poorly on the teams ability to appropriately slot players where they can succeed in the lineup.  That is a recipe for disaster and likely scare players from ever coming here.  To pitch to Myers that he would be a top 4 dman on the team to place him in a completely different role would be very silly for TG to do that.

Vancouver will start to become a desired location for players to come again, lets not jeopardize that. 

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Let's hire the biggest Sumo wrestler to be the goalie! 

Hmmm... is that legal?  Might not be in he “spirit” of the NHLPA ... it could be “circumventing” it.  Let’s do it! 

Edited by IBatch