The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Yes yes yes to this signing. Toughness factor increasing. In Tryamkin’s rookie year, he got injured once that I can recall and missed games. That was due to a hard clean hit by the guy we just signed. Ferland is one tough cookie.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

That’s what I was saying earlier.. I’d even throw in Sutter to add a little butter.. he’ll, throw in a late pick and we could almost have a deal.. heard Columbus needs help..? Would that be enough to land Jenner? Or would that be a “deep-bowled” pipe dream?

Columbus has $15mil in cap space with 2 more contracts.  We could certainly throw some assets at them now, not only to dump a couple salaries but with value to grab Jenner.  Doing that, and it would even further the possibility of moving Sutter, which frees up even a bit more cap in the exchange.

One aspect of all this is that it could indeed make Virtanen available.  I don't want to see him moved, but it's no longer so much that he's a lone commodity in our lineup anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

I guess this kind of avoids lucic.dont really like this contract cause of concussion and injury issues in the past.This also fills the hole left by dorsett retiring.

What happens if concussions catch up to him?

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Brock's deal isn't in jeopardy. 

Great ! So no need to desperately give players away.

it also says Goldy still has slim chance( I like)to be 13 roster player an try redeem himself with 2 way performance when he does play.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a decent signing. If Ferland can put up some numbers playing with Pettersson and Boeser he should be fine. One thing to note though is that Monahan and Gaudreau both saw their point totals rise by about 20 points when playing with E. Lindholm instead of Ferland. He's a good complimentary player for our two players, but I think someone with more offensive ability would be ideal long term.

We do have too much money tied up in non essential players though. Each deal individually is manageable (Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Ferland, etc.) but it adds up quickly over time. Those players are good players and they do help us win, but there comparable players who aren't a significant downgrade on the ice while being a fraction of the cost. That's how teams like Washington, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, etc. have their cap set up and they've been some of the best teams in the league the last little while. We need to be paying below market value in our bottom 6, not market value.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be more moves. We would be barely under the cap if we didn't make any more moves with Boeser at 7.5, Goldobin at 2 and Roussell on LTIR, but we would have to make a move when Roussell is healthy mid season. The most likely trade option is likely Sutter, but I'm not sure he can be dealt without retaining some of his salary. If we can find a way to stick it out until the deadline and just take the best pick available for him with retention, that would be ideal but I don't think we make it that long. Tanev could also still be moved, but it doesn't solve our logjam at forward. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

It's certainly not the popular opinion but I agree with you.  While they are both top players and they make it work, I don't see it as a natural fit.  Pettersson is a quick thinker and Boeser is more of the Stamkos setup a shoot a rocket.  While that may seem like a good fit, in reality what it means is that Pettersson takes more defensive pressure.  I feel that he ideally needs a linemate that can do the same but with more physicality.  I personally feel that Podkolzin will be the perfect linemate for Pettersson.  I still feel that Horvat and Boeser have the most chemistry as Bo will drive through the middle physically leaving rebounds etc for Boeser which is where he shines.  Slight nuances to it, but I agree with you.  They aren't oil and water, but there may be some better options.  

Bo does a lot of defensive work and wins a lot of faceoffs which leads the puck getting to Boeser's stick.  Bo also starts a lot more times in the defensive and neutral zone than Pettersson this gives Boeser more room to carry the puck into the zone with speed.  All things that play to Brock's strengths.  

The only draw back of Bo is that Bo likes to carry the puck with speed into the zone as well.  Bo isn't a high end playmaker either.  There are no perfect fits.  The Sedin twins had perfect chemistry so playing them on the same line made sense even though they always faced the top checking line of the other team.  Pettersson and Boeser have imperfect and slightly below average chemistry making more sense to split them so one can chase the easier matchup.  

I don't think its too radical of an idea either.  Rantanen-Landeskog-McKinnon are awesome and have great chemistry and they still get broken up because Bednar understands that its better to allow your best players to play against easier match ups.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I am not over dramatizing anything.  Impossible was the wrong word, and it wasn't entirely intended for you.  Silkymits responds with LOL and you with a one line retort like its an absolute obvious that they have chemistry when there is clear statistical evidence to prove that there "may not be".  The eye test is subjective.  Everyone seems to see something slightly differently.  Your going to the games is awesome, but it doesn't increase the validity of your opinion.  Your initial response provided no context, so it is only natural for me to assume that you weren't allowing for much of a possibility of a contrary opinion hence the "impossible to handle".  

No worries any case, I am not picking fights on a message board.  I simply think that Boeser and Petterson are both better off playing separately for themselves and for the team.  Both great players, just not together...

Stats support your opinion?  Show please. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Well he hasn't missed many games for all the injuries and concussion comments I am reading.  Based on how physical he plays he will likely always need some games off during the course of a full season.  What am I Missing?

image.thumb.png.a2346c9cb6e0613cf06e2377f29a1a22.png

That’s very true.  I think when anyone hears “concussion” they think a guy is done.  Thankfully these days there’s a ton of precaution taken over the issue.  I think he’ll be fine and an awesome fit with us!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I love the one poster on that Calgary site that calls our team the “Sh*t Whales”.  That’s kind of funny. 

I LOL'd at the guy that posted that the Lames had the team toughness of a girls high school softball team...

• Haha 2