The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

4 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I hope all those that are outraged over Cherry’s firing (I’m a Cherry fan but agree with your stance in that he did it to himself), are just as outraged at those born and raised Canadians that aren’t wearing a poppy. Because I have sure seen a lot of people not wearing them and I can guarantee they are not all immigrants. 

You realize if this is how Cherry made his statement he wouldn't have been fired. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Probably a quite a few but something tells me Cherry wasn't set off by a group of blond haired, blue eyed people without poppies. 

Unless they were from Sweden.:P

Cherry would've went off how they remained "neutral" throughout WWII.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

he was a clear cut racist on national TV. idk how u call this overblown? tell me ur kids watching, how do u explain it to them the term "you people...our milk...our honey"? 

I said he has said worse things before. I think sportsnet was just looking for an excuse to get rid of him. He gets paid an obscene amount of money for working 1 day a week.

Anti-immigrant rant sure, but he didn't mention colour or race once in his rant. They are not the same. His message was buy a poppy for those who lost it all to provide the way of life we all enjoy; not a lot of people do that anymore, hence the "you don't see any poppies walking downtown Toronto." He was incorrect to insinuate that it was only immigrants doing that because a lot of canadian citizens are no better.

I don't agree with what he said but as far as Don Cherry goes this is par for the course. Any one who gets more upset over this compared to things he has said in the past is overblowing it. Politicians have said worse things and still win elections and/or lead parties. Don is 85 years old and probably shouldn't be given a platform anyway, his views are out dated, no argument about that. I just don't get the surprise and outrage.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

The PC crowd are authoritarian to the core, and is absolutely their end game.

100% it's all

for power and control - certain politicians and corporations behind them vying for an easily manipulated base of support. It's got my hackles up and no one seems to

understand this as they are using people's sensitivity and empathy against them. Scary stuff man.

yay we all win again they will cry while eating their soylint greens

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Because he's talking about being in downtown Toronto and not seeing any immigrants wearing poppies there. Now, unless Don either asked them about their background, or he does in fact have the ability to look at someone and know their entire background, he's basing that assumption on the color of their skin alone. 

Your bang on, unfortunately most of the immigrants Cherry was probably talking about has come from war torn countries and have more experience then Don ever will when it comes to remembering lost or fallen solders and even innocent family members or friends. My family just returned home from our towns gathering for Remembrance Day and Myself or my family were not wearing poppy's, what does that make me to Don Cherry? I probably donated at least 1\2 a dozen times over the last two weeks or so to the poppy drive and have had many family members as well as friends fight for our country in many different wars we have fought in.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Left wing, mamby pamby tree hugger SJWs, who are full of hypocrisy, are turning our great country into porridge.  Don Cherry didn’t single out anyone.  He said, “you people”.  That’s ALL OF US who live the comfortable lives we do.  I’ve said the same thing here on a number of occasions.  We are ALL hypocrites, so stop preaching about how terrible one man is, and improve yourself.  Give up your cell phones, only eat locally produced foods, and go to a military graveyard and take care of one man’s plot.  

I just hope CDC doesn’t follow the same path of self righteousness, and start banning posters who don’t quite fit the mould.  

Is this a young people vs old people thing?  

Far left extremists have taken over the asylum, is what it is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Left wing, mamby pamby tree hugger SJWs, who are full of hypocrisy, are turning our great country into porridge.  Don Cherry didn’t single out anyone.  He said, “you people”.  That’s ALL OF US who live the comfortable lives we do.  I’ve said the same thing here on a number of occasions.  We are ALL hypocrites, so stop preaching about how terrible one man is, and improve yourself.  Give up your cell phones, only eat locally produced foods, and go to a military graveyard and take care of one man’s plot.  

I just hope CDC doesn’t follow the same path of self righteousness, and start banning posters who don’t quite fit the mould.  

He didn't just say "you people" Alf .... that is the issue.  He said you people coming to our country.  That is implying immigrants.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I just don't get the surprise and outrage.

It’s not really surprise. These people are champing at the bit for comments like this,  it’s their lifeblood. Any time anyone says anything that can be remotely construed as offensive gives them an opportunity to jump on their soapbox, show off how virtuous they are and destroy the wrong-thinker.

I don’t agree with Cherry’s comments and I’m pretty indifferent to him on hockey night in Canada, I don’t care much for him or McLean, but something like this was inevitable. Any old man with outdated views is basically Hitler these days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Exactly.

At the end of the day, he simply voiced his opinion, which ever way people decide to interpret his comments.

I agree that immigrants should participate just like citizens should participate.

No one should be forced to, but it's about respect.

Canada would not have existed today if it wasn't for our veterans.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2