The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I think this is what @apollo was getting at, that there's a negative consequence to these conversations being leaked.

Yes it shines a light on how Leipsic and his friends interact, but Pearson's wife was probably better off not seeing their comments for example.

The thing is though that this left, unchecked, spreads (kind of like this awful virus) and these guys had multiple targets and were on a bit of a roll.  Even IF "behind the scenes", it likely would spill over at some point because they clearly have no sense of right/wrong.  It's toxic so it's best outed and addressed.  I do agree...horrible for Tanner's wife and it's truly sad she was a casualty in their idiocy.  But at least she got the final "laugh" as these guys were dealt with swiftly and strongly.  It sets the precedent:  Don't be cruel.

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is though that this left, unchecked, spreads (kind of like this awful virus) and these guys had multiple targets and were on a bit of a roll.  Even IF "behind the scenes", it likely would spill over at some point because they clearly have no sense of right/wrong.  It's toxic so it's best outed and addressed.  I do agree...horrible for Tanner's wife and it's truly sad she was a casualty in their idiocy.  But at least she got the final "laugh" as these guys were dealt with swiftly and strongly.  It sets the precedent:  Don't be cruel.

Pearson's wife:  Married to an NHLer, beautiful young family, millions of dollars

Leipsic: Brushing up on how to say coke in Russian.

Everyone's different, but personally I'd just be laughing and moving on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yeah, why drag Jett in?  What the hell?  

Obviously there's some fringe players who feel threatened by those who actually show potential that they maybe don't.  What they lack in skill and talent others are showing and it's truly sad that their egos are using more real estate in their heads than their brains are.  Lash out instead of working harder, which is what most players focus on.  These guys tried to pump each other's tires by throwing others under them and it blew up on them.  Coke fueled to boot.  No wonder he sucked.

There’s a clip on a YouTube video with all his messages, where he cursed Jett Woo saying that he wanted to “go” his girlfriend. 

On May 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM, RRypien37 said:

Literally this. For those people "shocked" or "disgusted" have clearly never been in a locker room before. 

Pretty standard stuff. 

If arenas are empty we will hear probably worse on the ice...........

• Like 1

These guys are clearly douchebags.  Pretty low rent to tear down random people any sports group chats I’ve been involved with tend to be just teasing your own buddies and they can obviously respond in that situation.  How do people feel about the group chat vs trash talk/$&!# talk people sometimes devolve to when they get together.  From a content perspective I’ve seen people get equally or more offensive in person than on some of these group chats.

What’s with this damn trend of being felines? I’m sorry but this was a private chat. None of everyone’s business. We’ve created a society of wimps. From participation ribbons on sports day to males or females choosing between 200 genders on any given day. :picard:

44 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

What’s with this damn trend of being felines? I’m sorry but this was a private chat. None of everyone’s business. We’ve created a society of wimps. From participation ribbons on sports day to males or females choosing between 200 genders on any given day. :picard:

No longer private when it’s posted on the internet.

Hes an employee of the Capitals and agreed to conduct himself in a certain way as their employee. Not sure any other business that wouldn’t punish someone for those comments.

Tough lesson, but hopefully he learns from it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

So if a group of co-workers found pictures of your mom, sister, girlfriend or wife and decided to post these to a private chat and start making similar remarks that Leipsic's group did and someone got a hold of this chat and then sent it to you and other people, would you just say, "hey this is a private chat, it shouldn't be anyone's business?"

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grandmaster said:

He's a public figure. His comments weren't funny. His comments targeted his peers. He is a fringe NHL at best. This has nothing to do with a participation ribbon it has to do with conducting yourself in a professional manner. This guy is a mega douchebag who deserves to be thrown out of the league.

Sending a message online isn't a "private" message. People who defend this with oh it was a private conversation, online... What are you hiding? 

Edited by peaches5

After reading the first 8 pages I skipped to the end.   My wife and I saw a news story about this a couple of days ago with Zajac - the main target - who’s absolutely beautiful - and had to wonder why Leipsic and his buddies found this funny or whatever in the first place.   The internet isn’t a private place so don’t agree with anyone who’s upset this was leaked, fair game.   Had to think really hard if I’d ever called anyone fat before - can’t say I have or haven’t sure I said some stupid things as a kid, it’s sad for several reasons including a young mans career is now in the toilet, and that this shame will definitely follow him around probably forever.   He’s definitely getting a reality check on what is and what’s not appropriate behaviour and paying a very steep price for his actions - words in this case are so serious that he’s lost his career.  Nothing Cooke did on the ice had as much impact and he ended careers.

As far as the “native” comment goes, of course it’s inappropriate too.  Growing up and to this day some of my best mates aren’t  white and I love different cultures.  What I don’t love is overreactions when it comes to this topic as it can do more harm then good - and really this site didn’t take long to blow it completely out of proportion.  Anti-semitism came up - like wow.  Also  perspective is required - we don’t know for sure if it was racially motivated (it does appear that way  though) and for anyone on this site identifies  as an Indian, Native American, First Nation or now Indigineous People that took offense I’m truly sorry.   One of my buddies was the middle weight kick-boxing champion of the world, one of the best the sport has ever known around 3 losses and 30 wins most by knockout and fought until he was 49 - he’s Native American and that’s how he identifies himself - his mother identifies herself as an Indian (given her age and doesn’t consider it a bad word).  A young man my family knows would definitely be insulted by this - and prefers the name his people chose over First Nations - and maybe I’m not very good with sensitivity but don’t have a racist bone in my body and never have - love everyone based on who they are not the skin colour (which is so stupid I can barely understand it) - point is the adjective used in this case has some screaming and saying horrible things they’d like to happen to  Leipsic - like die.  Wow. 

If girls were caught making these comments it wouldn’t make the news.  Same thing if it was a group of regular young men.  Apollo had a point - not that these things should remain private - nothing is on a device and  not that the hacker should be punished - but that the hate is spread by giving it air time as does the negativity.  Nobody needs a story like this to understand that racism exist or that boys-young adults could be misogynistic.    

It’s a sad sorry and I feel for Zajac and anyone directly and indirectly affected by it.   It’s happened to my daughters online too (body shamed) and they are great looking slim teenagers.  By both sexes.  Why’s this story news and there’s are not hmmm.    This doesn’t need to turn into a hyperbole of negative girl hating racists- and I’m glad Zajac is taking the time to show that the human form is beautiful in many shapes.    Maybe keep the pitchforks in the shed - and be mindful that person you might be replying to has had something far worse happen to them and that we are all fighting the pandemic and might not be the best version of yourself at the moment (stop personal attacking) and that nobody got shot, raped or beat to a pulp, - its not like our grandparents fighting to free the world from Nazis’ or white people slicing up and conquering North America bad is it - and just maybe it’s a bit re-stimulating for those who have suffered from those things too.  

This is not meant to make  it  ok or breed intolerance because I do detest that and will never understand why in this day and age in this continent it should still exist.   Leipsic is going to pay dearly for this for the rest of his life.   I believe that’s enough - and same with the positive spin Zajac put on it and how she is working hard to promote positive behaviours. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 7:24 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Just going to go out on a limb here and say that if Ovechkin were putting this kind of stuff out, it would be more newsworthy than this and we'd probably know about it. 

Adding to this, let's imagine for a second that Ovie was the one who said all this with some friends.

Would the Capitals kick him off the team? I'm guessing no.

There is so much hypocrisy with today's callout and cancel culture that it's getting pretty ridiculous. But something to think about...

Times are changing and people (mostly men) are updating their moral code and learning better manners, and for good reason. This is not new is society, as manners have slowly been instilled into society over time since the beginning of civilization - albeit very slowly - and they have been studied for a long time now. What Liepsic and his friends did was not OK, and to minimize it is not OK either. However...

Our current cultural update has lost its way a little. We need to look at what our end goal is and the best way to get there. If we want people (again, mostly men) to respect others, then what do we do when they don't? What's the punishment?

Right now the punishment is your career and reputation with no chance of redemption. You hurt someone, so therefore you must hurt in return.

It's retributive justice at work.

This retributive punishment creates no room for people to learn, feel remorseful, apologize, grow, and be better as a result.

But haven't we as a society been supporting restorative justice for decades now? 

So now we have cancel culture supporting retribution over restorative justice, all while still supporting restorative in their every day life. So now it seems to be more cherry picking that's based in hurt feelings. 

Do we want people going around and saying hurtful things? No. But if it does happen, maybe the next course of action is to try and create a safe space that includes both the offender and offended to talk it out, to teach, to learn, and to move forward, rather than putting someone in a figurative prison to rot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

to teach, to learn, and to move forward, rather than putting someone in a figurative prison to rot.

I know others have said it, @Fateless most recently I believe, that mandatory counselling should be the first course of action. Correcting behaviour. Wanting to assist and help your fellow man and woman to become better people, especially after a screwup. 

There's a difference between:  "Fat native"

And: "I'm (proud to be) native"

One is a slur and racism is based in that. 

The other is a right to show pride in heritage and culture.  God help the person who says (dumb, fat, whatever insult people hurl out of hatred and ignorance) native to the kick boxer.  Good luck with that (although he's probably more civilized than the name caller).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

There's a difference between:  "Fat native"

And: "I'm (proud to be) native"

One is a slur and racism is based in that. 

The other is a right to show pride in heritage and culture.  God help the person who says (dumb, fat, whatever insult people hurl out of hatred and ignorance) native to the kick boxer.  Good luck with that (although he's probably more civilized than the name caller).

Deb your one of my favourite posters - like the Mom of the CDC and what you says matters.  A super fan and very obviously a lovely person too.  And I’m not siding with Leipsic one bit but do feel justice has been swift and even cruel given the crime. 

My buddy Pats (kick-boxer great fella) is a cool customer and doesn’t get upset about trivial things (not that this is trivial).  We’ve had discussions about what bothers him and what doesn’t - and for me at least there is no surprise that it bothers him more that what he’s called keeps changing then being called an Indian (which doesn’t one bit bother him - but it’s offensive now  nonetheless so sorry ahead of time if I shocked some white folks for saying it).   Gen x and earlier grew up playing Cowboys and Indians and it was fun to play either side - and I preferred being an Indian and now that I know better wish we all were like them...maybe the best civilization the world has ever seen as far as sustainable lifestyle goes and much can be learned from them.  How we see possessions and land ... silly really. 

Leipsic’s life is forever going to change now - he’s definitely would rather get kicked in the face then what’s coming.   Strange thing is when I bring this up with my much younger sisters they get upset with the idea that Cowboys and Indians is awful and distasteful and wrong thing and the rest of it.  But when I talk to my older native buddies they laugh it off and are more concerned with regular name changes and lost culture.   Wonder how many people responding to this are First Nations.   As white people if you’ve hurt or done something wrong then shame on you.  But we don’t have to carry the shame for those that actually did the harm forever either.  Yes it’s a touchy subject and sorry if I pushed anyone’s buttons.   Just my two cents and again I’m not the greatest when it comes to sensitivity training because it never existed when I was in the work force. 

image.jpg

Edited by IBatch
49 years old and still killing it. Way to go a Brennan.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The worst of what's coming for Leipsic isn't for the racism or mysoginy.  It's for throwing teammates under the bus.  When you're one of the worst performers at your job, you don't have the luxury of moaning about your coworkers.  This goes for any job.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The worst of what's coming for Leipsic isn't for the racism or mysoginy.  It's for throwing teammates under the bus

:lol: 

Throwing teammates under the bus is worse? 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

:lol: 

Throwing teammates under the bus is worse? 

Ethically, no.  When considering bringing him into a dressing room, yeah.  I wouldn't bring him in either way, but you have teams like Nashville bringing Watson back.  The NHL will have more issue with the more serious stuff though.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:15 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This circle of jerks in the chat group are/were fringe NHLers or less.  It's not a stretch to suggest that they might be dumping on others to make themselves feel better about their own shortcomings.  Often that's how this stuff works. 

Of course the Capitals would have responded differently if it was Ovechkin.  But they don't have to because Ovechkin is Ovechkin and doesn't do this stuff because he is comfortable with his own worth as a player and a person.  Not the case with these guys.

I think you underestimate locker room talk... 

There are probably dozens of players in the league trying to delete convos right about now.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kesler and Burrows:

Kesler: "Tell Kelly I said hi"...

Burrows: "Kelly's a great gal"...

Warning: Some graphic language...

Nothing really bad there. The "give your balls a tug.." is towards Backes, and Kelly stuff was nothing offensive. If they called Kelly a fat pig in TODAYS era, then its a problem