The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

45 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

For those here suggesting we are:  no one's "telling Jake how to live his life".  But we are offering our opinion on it and that's ok.  Especially during a worldwide pandemic that's affecting all of our lives...what others do has a significant impact on that.  Never before has it mattered...but it does now. We're all in this thing together and so if people are dropping their guard and resuming normal life, it could set us back.  Even if under Gov't approval...it can all be reset in a heartbeat if the numbers explode.  And I expect that they will if clubs are open and people feel the urge to socialize without social distancing (which is what the original report was).  Remember - we can expand our bubble but it has to be with limitations and commitments.  And soon those bubbles will have to include teammates so they should probably be selecting carefully at this stage.  It can all be stripped away by the actions of a few who don't take it seriously.

Jake's a high profile professional athlete and we pay big bucks to watch him.  With that, we can offer our comments on how he prepares in the impromptu "off season" that's right before a playoff series is to begin.  It's what this board is based on.

very well said Deb!

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

But they aren’t in quarantine yet so they can safely do whatever they like until they are. 

If you saw the interviews with Petey and Hughes this week they said they're being quarantined in hotel rooms and can only get take out/delivery.

This article explains it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-pettersson-admits-bubble-life-strange-but-canuck-excited-about-playoffs/amp

Edited by buddyguy

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

I'm not telling him what to do, just providing my opinion that he made a poor choice.  If you think that qualifies as telling him how to live his life, then from all the posts we see on this forum, we should all be in Therapy.  

It works both ways, just as some of you jump to conclusions and think we are going overboard in criticizing him, I can say some of you are going overboard in trying to defend him.  

But people wouldn’t have to “go overboard” in defending him if others didn’t blow every little thing he does out of proportion. 

• Vintage 2

How about we split the difference? Have Jake self isolate for 14 days after the incident. He's going to be tested prior to going into the bubble anyways. 

If he comes out with a clean bill of health, and is in good physical condition everyone is happy. 

Was it a bit reckless? Yes. 

Maybe if Jake donated to BC Children's hospital, or any of the lower mainland hospitals that would be a good thing. 

Not everyone matures the same way. Some people at 53 are less mature than others at 23. 

• Like 1

This virus has shown the differences between people with "prosocial traits"  over "antagonistic traits" and narcissistic people don't you think ?

I am not sure if it's because we have more prosocial people here than the South, or just because of more open spaces, and less people that has spared us of the same result as them?

• Vintage 1

Lol I was clearly trolling with part of my post. I said dont hate on jake, hate on me. Then went on to spew some insensitive garbage and for those that I offended I'm sorry.

I am fortunate that this virus has not affected anyone close to me or even in my distant circle (facebook friends for example, acquaintances etc) and that is obviously a big reason why I dont take it as serious as some. 

But Jake did nothing wrong.

3 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I'm not telling him what to do, just providing my opinion that he made a poor choice.  If you think that qualifies as telling him how to live his life, then from all the posts we see on this forum, we should all be in Therapy.  

It works both ways, just as some of you jump to conclusions and think we are going overboard in criticizing him, I can say some of you are going overboard in trying to defend him.  

Just as y’all are going way overboard being upset about him going out when he is allowed to go out. If it weren’t allowed the bar would not be open. If you told me he was licking door knobs and shaking hands with everyone he seen, sure. Guy’s a goof. But as of now he’s just going out and I trust he’s being safe and responsible about it until told otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Yes Hughes and Pettersson are in quarantine as they came from another country??? So 14 days..

Petey and Hughes cannot go to grocery store...

Jake is from Vancouver and is safe to have beer in pub and go to grocery store ..

Petey and Hughes have to wait another 6 days and trust me they will be going to pub for good meals and safe contact socializing....

Its okay no crime....

I didn't say it was a crime. Just explaining to people why Petey and Hughes can't be in public and doing what Jake is doing.

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

For those here suggesting we are:  no one's "telling Jake how to live his life".  But we are offering our opinion on it and that's ok.  Especially during a worldwide pandemic that's affecting all of our lives...what others do has a significant impact on that.  Never before has it mattered...but it does now. We're all in this thing together and so if people are dropping their guard and resuming normal life, it could set us back.  Even if under Gov't approval...it can all be reset in a heartbeat if the numbers explode.  And I expect that they will if clubs are open and people feel the urge to socialize without social distancing (which is what the original report was).  Remember - we can expand our bubble but it has to be with limitations and commitments.  And soon those bubbles will have to include teammates so they should probably be selecting carefully at this stage.  It can all be stripped away by the actions of a few who don't take it seriously.

Jake's a high profile professional athlete and we pay big bucks to watch him.  With that, we can offer our comments on how he prepares in the impromptu "off season" that's right before a playoff series is to begin.  It's what this board is based on.

Very well said.  This isn’t a lifestyle issue, it is a physical distancing issue.  Hopefully, no one at the club was carrying the virus, and this can be used as a learning experience for Jake.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Just as y’all are going way overboard being upset about him going out when he is allowed to go out. If it weren’t allowed the bar would not be open. If you told me he was licking door knobs and shaking hands with everyone he seen, sure. Guy’s a goof. But as of now he’s just going out and I trust he’s being safe and responsible about it until told otherwise. 

I understand and appreciate your point of view, and I agree with you.  However, the reports are that he was not physically distancing himself.  That is the only issue here.  

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

Awesome post, just ridiculous how people are still going on about Jake out for a few beers???? 

Do you people go to grocery store? 

Did someone see Jake do anything wrong besides go have few drinks with his good friends?? What 3 guys and 3 girls, there all healthy and aware of covid 19? The decks and pubs are full of people having a few drinks and snacks, its not a crime...Its okay these people are aware of covid..I feel Dr. Bonnie has done a great job.  Dr. Bonnie  has said its okay to have drinks in pubs just be smart and aware...Is phase 3 not started???Okay enough...

Big Jake is a smart guy so you ridiculous people leave this young talented man alone..Very rude assuming he is unsafe because he went for drinks?

Do we not learn that gossip and assuming things are worse then Jake having a few Beers?

Most of these people posting have kids? What do you say to your kids when there gossiping or assuming things??? 

Yes thats right, please stop assuming and gossip...Go read a book or go for a long walk..Get a life..

If Jake shows up to camp July 10t out of shape?  start your gossip but until then Jake Virtanen has done nothing wrong!!!!!

Go Jake Go -- 

Talk about positive things...See Jake's future - 75 GP -- 19 -24 G -- 42-46 PTS -- 23 yrs old - 6'1, 220, speedy power forward !

second - third line guy...Sure hope we keep Jake around...

ya wait till the boys go to a movie next people are going to lose it See the source image

• Like 1

Sometimes I get the feeling that Jake is like the black sheep of the Canucks. Maybe his team mates rib him a lot, think he's arrogant? Does he hang out with anyone else on the team? Does he have any real friends on the team? I know Miller was trying to keep Jake focused and acting like a mentor earlier in the season. Is Jake practicing with the team? I saw Miller out there, but no Jake. I have my opinion on Jake's behaviour. No need to go on about that. The boy will do what he does, just like O'Brien and Kassian did before him - Canucks legends. :picard:

Edited by NUCKER67

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sometimes I get the feeling that Jake is like the black sheep of the Canucks. Maybe his team mates rib him a lot, think he's arrogant? Does he hang out with anyone else on the team? Does he have any real friends on the team? I know Miller was trying to keep Jake focused and acting like a mentor earlier in the season. Is Jake practicing with the team? I saw Miller out there, but no Jake. I have my opinion on Jake's behaviour. No need to go on about that. The boy will do what he does, just like O'Brien and Kassian did before him - Canucks legends. :picard:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-canucks-video-game-ban-is-more-about-bonding-on-road-not-babysitting

Plays videogames with Boeser and Stecher. 

9 hours ago, Pears said:

But they aren’t in quarantine yet so they can safely do whatever they like until they are. 

This is phase 2 protocol.  Several players have elected to stay outside of it as it's very restrictive but any player back at the team's facilities are in phase 2.  The phase 1 protocol they are referring to asked that players self-isolate.  The league is expecting that players observe stricter rules than local rules.

ACTIVITIES OUTSIDE OF CLUB FACILITIES

Outside of the individual training to take place at Club Facilities, it is important that all Club personnel, including Players, continue to adhere to the personal precautions recommended by the CDC, as well as any additional direction that may be issued by your local health authority and Club Medical staff. As such, Players are strongly recommended to continue to exercise “distancing” behavior, practicing the same social/physicaldistancing measures as observed during Phase 1 of the League’s “pause” in the 2019/20 Season. Specifically:

1. Players and Club personnel shall continue to stay at home as much as possible and practicable and must avoid unnecessary interactions with non-family members.

2. Players shall not physically spend social time together in close contact.

3. As noted above, Players participating in Phase 2 are not permitted to work out or skate at any public facility or other location, except as may be permitted by the Club, and may not organize any Player skates or group skates outside of the small group sessions organized by the Club.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

He is well liked in the dressing room. Quite popular.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 11:34 PM, hlinkas wrister said:

I'm pretty sure every member of the team will be tested before they enter the bubble when training camp starts. 

Testing doesnt safeproof anything. Numerous of cases have been documented where a patient tests negative but actually do have COVID19. Such as inhaling the virus directly into your lungs; the swap tests only swap tissues from the nose and throat, it doesn't detect catch these cases. More recent examples like Trumps's Tulsa rally. 2 members of his staffs tests positive after the event even though the president has all the resources in the world to test, prevent, COVID19 infections during his event. 

The bottomline is less exposure less risk. As simple as that. The inability to take COVID19 seriously is why it is still a ongoing crisis in North America when the rest of the world is actually moving on. And the posts on this forum shows this so very clearly. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3