The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

From 2007 Red Line:

Slick Zach Hamill is this year's most consistently underrated forward. He is constantly knocked for being either too slightly built, too much a perimeter player or not fast enough for a little guy. But all he does is produce. Hey, he must have done something right to lead the WHL in scoring at 18 years old. But to hear some scouts talk, you would think he was a big disappointment. He is very intelligent on and off the ice and a real character kid, too. He has soft hands and reads the whole ice beautifully with great anticipation.

Hamill at 8th overall was just another case of 'Hockey IQ', 'Intelligence', 'Soft Hands', 'Reading the Ice' etc. being overrated.

A guy could get away with being smallish if he's not perimeter and slow too. If he's all that, then his bust potential is just too damn high.

Virtanen is not too small or too slow and he goes to the net with gusto. He's got size, speed, skill and a helluva shot. He's got potential to be the best player in the draft imho.

• Upvote 1

Really the only reason that the Canucks chose Virtanen is because he is from Abbotsford, don't get me wrong he has a ton of potential but Ehlers has more skill

That's the only reason? He has an intriguing skillset.

Really the only reason that the Canucks chose Virtanen is because he is from Abbotsford, don't get me wrong he has a ton of potential but Ehlers has more skill

can't imagine that Canucks brass is that dumb. lol.

i think Benning is smarter than just picking a player because he's from BC. I think Virtanen has an interesting skill set as some here on the board have said. If he can reach his potential - Virtanen would be an excellent player. Another year in junior won't hurt him, and a couple of seasons in the AHL would do wonders for his professional game. He seems to have an NHL body already, at the age of 17, I can't imagine what that body will look like in 3-4 years of development and progression. Minimum, he's a third line player. Maximum, he's a first line, top six player for the club.

I think they should trade both of those guys for futures. They aren't in a position to compete with Portland, Kelowna, Edmonton but they did finish 4th in points in the WHL so maybe they'll push for a Memorial Cup. Virtanen will have a good year next year maybe they surround him with good players and push for a cup.

If his team sucks and he gets tons of pp time it wont be all bad. We could use his shot on the PP with the Sedins sooner then later.

Yes...because we need more small skilled players instead of players better suited for the West like Virtanen...

Virtanen might have the biggest upside in the draft. Ehlers is good but Virtanen has the non bust tools to at least be a 3rd liner if he doesnt fulfill the unlimited potential.

Edited by messier's_elbow

can't imagine that Canucks brass is that dumb. lol.

i think Benning is smarter than just picking a player because he's from BC. I think Virtanen has an interesting skill set as some here on the board have said. If he can reach his potential - Virtanen would be an excellent player. Another year in junior won't hurt him, and a couple of seasons in the AHL would do wonders for his professional game. He seems to have an NHL body already, at the age of 17, I can't imagine what that body will look like in 3-4 years of development and progression. Minimum, he's a third line player. Maximum, he's a first line, top six player for the club.

I agree but it wouldnt be fun for Jimbo if he picked one of the slick Euros instead of home town Jake and he becomes the next Bobby Hull. It was obvious they were taking Virtanen for quite a few different reasons.

edit\ Buttons an idiot but he was right about us taking Virtanen... thats how obvious it was. If was comming out of Finland where his Dad is from I think, it would have been a tougher decision. As it was it was a no brainer or a Button if you will.

Edited by messier's_elbow

Virtanen might have the biggest upside in the draft. Ehlers is good but Virtanen has the non bust tools to at least be a 3rd liner if he doesnt fulfill the unlimited potential.

Sorry; Virtanen does not have the highest upside.

Look, a great pick. Not questioning that. Wicked shot, lots of speed and having a full size NHL body / NHL athleticism at 17 there is almost no risk he wont make it. Most guys need to develop NHL speed (see Horvat), endurance (Ritchie), or size (see Nylander or Shinkaruk). Many have more upside, but also pose a risk (see Schroeder) where they might not make it at all?

But what you dont have is the slick puck possession and passing skills that give a guy 85 or 100 point potential.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with this one but Jake reminds me a lot of Booth in almost every way possible.

- They both have rather large bodies.

- They both generate many of their goals by driving to the net

- They're both shoot first players

- They have both been critiqued for being a little weak on their passing game

- They both have a very good shot

- They both tend to skate with their head down/towards the net in a power forward fashion

I just hope Virtanen's mentality is different. It could prove to be the difference.

• Upvote 1

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with this one but Jake reminds me a lot of Booth in almost every way possible.

- They both tend to skate with their head down/towards the net in a power forward fashion

I just hope Virtanen's mentality is different. It could prove to be the difference.

good comparison except for booths shot. Its terrible. I'd say Jake's shot is already better than booths. Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

What stands out IMO is the fact as a 17 year old ( which means he was close to 16 at the begining of last season ) he scored 45 goals. There's few juniors that have done that. I understand the line he played on was pretty explosive all around so how much of that was Virtanen and how much his line mates... I guess we'll have to wait

What stands out IMO is the fact as a 17 year old ( which means he was close to 16 at the begining of last season ) he scored 45 goals. There's few juniors that have done that. I understand the line he played on was pretty explosive all around so how much of that was Virtanen and how much his line mates... I guess we'll have to wait

He played with $#!^ linemates most of the season, never played much with the Hitmen's top scorers, and usually only got 2nd PP time.

I'm excited to see what he can do next season playing with a guy like Greg Chase. I think 55-60 goals is a possibility and maybe 35-40 assists. The Hitmen are losing all there top offensive players so he will be relied upon heavily to produce.

Final tsn rankings had Virtanen ranked 7th and we took him 6th. I didn't realize the pick was that off the board! Look all of us had our favorites most didn't get picked but it's time to look at things a different way! You have a goal scoring PF in the system who got drafted to his favorite team! If he pans out we have a career canuck!

Spot on comparison IMO

• Upvote 1

booth was on a trajectory to be a very good NHL player until richards took his head off. Jake i think has a better shot that booth and hopefully more willingness to work on his game. I think its a pretty fair comparison. If your comparing him to booth of the last 3 years then heck no. But booth predecapitation was on the way to be a solid top6 forward if not topline winger.