The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Interesting statements. If he really wants to help out, why not mentor JV himself?  He really doesn't have to be in the capacity of the Canucks organization to do that.  I know as he neared the end of his career things turned a little sour for him and he had depression, etc.  This can be a good focus for him, and make him feel like a winner again ensuring his prodigy succeeds.

lol unless they hire Bertuzzi i doubt Bert would just come to Vancouver and mentor JV.. he can prolly go to bert for advice but i don't see him actually working with him unless he's getting paid. who knows what bertuzzi financial status is since we won't know how much he had to pay out of pocket for the steve moore lawsuit. so i highly doubt Bert would work for free.

39 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

So, contracts at this point aren't allowed to have escalators for such things as goals/assists/points, All-Star appearances and the like?

I think they were once allowed, but in modern times, I'm pretty sure it's limited. Cap Friendly puts it this way:

A Performance Bonus can be given to a player in addition to their salary. Performance bonuses are only paid to the player if they meet the requirements as defined by the bonus. Performance bonuses count against the salary cap; however, a team can exceed the salary cap due to performance bonuses by the maximum performance bonus cushion amount of 7.5 percent of the upper limit. Not all players are eligible for Performance Bonuses, and to receive a bonus within their contract, a player must meet one of the following criteria:

1. The player is on an entry-level contract.
  2. The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.
  3. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

For example, Brock Boeser has made a bunch of extra cash based on the performance bonuses in his ELC. Alternatively, if the twins sign 1-year deals next year, they could have performance bonuses on their deals as well. Jake is just finishing his ELC now and obviously doesn't meet the second or third criteria either, thus he isn't eligible for performance bonuses.

While polarizing.

I think Bertuzzi would bring a very unique look to this teams development.  He started as a disappointing 1st round pick, blossomed in vancouver, became a premier player suffered under one of the most graphic examples of violence seen on the ice in decades then played through endless injuries and finished off a long productive career as a shootout hero.

There's some significant teaching he could do to a number of young players 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

This sure is an interesting debate...

I don't know if there is anybody in the Canucks organisation just now, that can properly mentor JV as a big power forward.

Fair enough the Sedins will teach him how to train, work every day etc, but the nastiness you want from a power forward is not the Sedins stronghold.

Like what he's saying that JV is not going to be a top PWF until 24-28... Sure why not... Try to have Bertuzzi help him over the line. Whats there to lose?

4 hours ago, rekker said:

If JB thinks it will help to hire Bert he will. He needs JV to work out. A failed sixth overall is a fugly mark on the resume.

Jake needs to workout, as in GET FIT.  I really think Jake has a serious fitness issue, which stems from his lack of (off ice) professionalism.  I heard that Bert interview, and he thinks Jake could become a really good player.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Bertuzzi was my favorite Canuck growing up, and I think he could help Jake for sure 

On a side note they need to send the kid down, it's painful watching him get on the scoresheet just once or twice a month 

For  whom?   This has been a nice step year for him.   I don't see it as painful at all.   Getting a full NHL season under his belt while demonstrating all the key things the coaching crew wanted him to improve is massive to his development.  It is only painful if you just look at goals and assists and those are in short supply for the team in general.   Patience.   It is coming.   Just a few more seasons and maybe even as early as next year.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Buddy stop telling me to be patient, and no I'm not just looking at goals and assists.  I see missed defensive assignments, I see circles instead of stops and starts, I see a lack of battle in front of the oppositions net, I see good puck tracking particularily in the neutral zone, I see him being physical but not at the right times or place I see a good offensive break out game maybe once every 3 weeks?  It's just not good enough, maybe you just don't see the things I do. 

If we drafted an 18 year old out of the Campbell River house league you would probably tell me to be patient

Lol. They could start by dropping the twins and Jake experiment. 

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol unless they hire Bertuzzi i doubt Bert would just come to Vancouver and mentor JV.. he can prolly go to bert for advice but i don't see him actually working with him unless he's getting paid. who knows what bertuzzi financial status is since we won't know how much he had to pay out of pocket for the steve moore lawsuit. so i highly doubt Bert would work for free.

Never said he would be asked to work for free.  I know if I was a cusp NHLer with potential like Virtanen has, I'd consider it an investment against my future earnings.  He IS being paid almost a million so it's not like he couldn't spend some of that being taken under Bertuzzi's wing for a few months.

With that said, I made the assumption that Bertuzzi lived in Vancouver - which he may not.  Kinda changes things.

53 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For  whom?   This has been a nice step year for him.   I don't see it as painful at all.   Getting a full NHL season under his belt while demonstrating all the key things the coaching crew wanted him to improve is massive to his development.  It is only painful if you just look at goals and assists and those are in short supply for the team in general.   Patience.   It is coming.   Just a few more seasons and maybe even as early as next year.

That's a pretty low standard you have for a fifth overall pick in his third year as a pro.  Though I'm rooting for Virtanen to succeed, he's demonstrated very little on a consistent basis to justify his place as an everyday NHL player.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- with what I've seen out of Virtanen, if he amounts to anything resembling Raffi Torres, that is going to be a win for Benning and the rest of us Canucks fans.  And that makes me sad that that's all I can hope for out of Virtanen at this point in his career. 

Maybe it's coaching?  Would Virtanen have enough in his tool bag to be the Canucks version of Tkachuk?  A player like that would at least bring value to the Canucks.  Right now, he's a baby-fat less project who is taking the long and winding road to becoming a regular NHLer.

I'm betting his next contract is a two year two-way deal that pays him $675,000 in the NHL and $67,500 in the AHL. Sort of what he deserves. 

35 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

That's a pretty low standard you have for a fifth overall pick in his third year as a pro.  Though I'm rooting for Virtanen to succeed, he's demonstrated very little on a consistent basis to justify his place as an everyday NHL player.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- with what I've seen out of Virtanen, if he amounts to anything resembling Raffi Torres, that is going to be a win for Benning and the rest of us Canucks fans.  And that makes me sad that that's all I can hope for out of Virtanen at this point in his career. 

Maybe it's coaching?  Would Virtanen have enough in his tool bag to be the Canucks version of Tkachuk?  A player like that would at least bring value to the Canucks.  Right now, he's a baby-fat less project who is taking the long and winding road to becoming a regular NHLer.

I'm betting his next contract is a two year two-way deal that pays him $675,000 in the NHL and $67,500 in the AHL. Sort of what he deserves. 

I am betting that he will not want a 2 way and would try to take less money that what he is offered to avoid a 2 way, because he knows that is where he would spend time, with the new guys in the system coming up, and if they shine. he won't have that decision to play up here

He doesn't need Bert, Travis was a star out of junior and had to decide if he wanted to play in the NHL or not, because he wasn't going to be a star in the NHL and he re-invented himself and worked hard.

Jake needs to decide how long he wants to play in the big leagues and act accordingly, if he chooses to stay

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

At some point we’re gonna have to look beyond this ‘baby steps’ approach and begin to analyze just what exactly he brings to the table as an NHL player, especially with his contract negotiation coming up. 

For starters, his production can be overlooked if he were a physical force out there. He isn’t. Secondly, “getting a full NHL season under his belt while demonstrating all the key things the coaching crew wanted him to improve” is belittling him. He’s turning 22 this year and should no longer be hand-held and treated the same as the 17 year-old Jake we drafted. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

At some point we’re gonna have to look beyond this ‘baby steps’ approach and begin to analyze just what exactly he brings to the table as an NHL player, especially with his contract negotiation coming up. 

For starters, his production can be overlooked if he were a physical force out there. He isn’t. Secondly, “getting a full NHL season under his belt while demonstrating all the key things the coaching crew wanted him to improve” is belittling him. He’s turning 22 this year and should no longer be hand-held and treated the same as the 17 year-old Jake we drafted. 

He's turning 22, not 26. Be patient.

• Thanks 1

I think it's more about merit. Just what exactly is the justification for putting playing Virtanen instead of guys like Goldobin and Boucher who've been scoring at over a PPG in Utica? One could say physicality but Virtanen barely uses it. One could also say defensive awareness but Jake isn't particularly good at that either. Makes one question if maybe his draft pedigree is the thing that's keeping him in the NHL.

CalgaryPuck had some interesting things to say about him. It's important to note that a lot of these posters are Hitmen regulars and fans (due to the location of course).

lLl8W7.png

xq1Wjx.png

tgZa6Q.png

Sometimes it's okay to call a spade a spade. 

Edited by guntrix

5 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

In today's NHL 26 years old you are already starting to decline in production lol. Get with the times.. 

Unbelievably false. Please provide some proof.

Derek Ryan, Jonathan Marchessault, Scott Darling, Ryan Ellis, Ekholm, Bellemare, Mike Hoffman, Panarin, Burns. All late bloomers, and recent. I only just scratched the surface.

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Upvote 1