The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I've been sitting here on a rainy day off watching a lot of player highlights out of shear boredom. 

Watching Jake's, I noticed how lopsided his production is from the left side is compared to the right. 

It's hard not to notice most of his offence comes from the left side.

I'm wondering if he could benefit from a permanent move to that side; Especially after Podkolzin arrives.

Edited by komodo0921

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

So, I've been sitting here on a rainy day off watching a lot of player highlights out of shear boredom. 

Watching Jake's, I noticed how lopsided his production is from the left side is compared to the right. 

It's hard not to notice most of his offence comes from the left side.

I'm wondering if he could benefit from a permanent move to that side; Especially after Podkolzin arrives.

Couldn’t agree more. Puzzles my mind how he hasn’t been converted to a left winger permanently. Always thought player development was placing players in a position of strength. The glimpse of this year’s breakout Virtanen is the dominate Left-wing WHL Virtanen. With him on the left wing, our organizational left wing depth is slightly bolstered more thus also solving some of the glut on right wing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I looked at Virtanen's 18 goals and it may be an insignificant stat, but at the beginning of the season his goals were purely building off leads the team had fully established.  As the season went on, many of his goals began to be either goals to tie the game or were go-ahead goals.

I may be reading into it too much, but it seems that Jake during crucial moments of the team being down a goal or were tied had a higher level of urgency and scored some pretty big goals.  I'm seeing an evolution in his game, and this season particularly you started to see Jake mentally lock down and really push the pace of the game to conform to him rather than him trying to adjust to the game.

I don't know if that will lead to an uptick of offensive numbers, but I think we are seeing take place a chapter in Jake's game where he is starting to consistently show he can really dictate games with his individual skill set.

Nice detail find. I'm excited to see his continued development.

• Cheers 1

Yeah. I'm excited for Jake. 

18 goals this year, in a season that was cut short. I think he could've hit 20 goals by season's end, had the full season actually came to an end. 

This was his breakout year

I'm soooo excited at what he's going to do next season. 20-25 goals a possibility? 50-55 points? 

With more confidence in his ability to produce, I think he can get there. I'd be happy if he can hit anywhere from 45-50 points. That would be considered top six numbers, wouldn't they? 

And yeah, Green needs to play Virtanen on the left wing. 

42 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Watching the 2015 WJC gold medal game and I gotta say, Virtanen really wasn't very good at the time. He's improved a ton since then.

He's had such an unusual path to his development, which is why I want to hang on and see what is his ultimate upside. There are few guys who are comparable to him. Brett Connolly is close but even he had a more successful AHL career than Jake. I feel like he can still improve leaps and bounds, as much as he has improved he still seems raw.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Toews said:

as much as he has improved he still seems raw.

That's the thing. Whether it's watching him now or in the 2015 WJC game, you see these super tantalizing flashes. He'll use a combination of strength, skill, and speed to make a great play on the rush, maybe driving to the net or whatever, then the next time down he'll take the puck behind and up the halfboards just to fire a soft shot on net. 

That said, he's improved so much. He was struggling to make and receive passes here in 2015 and now you'll see him plays that would've never been possible for him back then. His positioning on the ice is much better too. Watching him in 2015, once his line was set up in the offensive zone he never seems to know what to do. Spends most of the shift sitting on a teammates' hip.

• Upvote 1

I sure hope big Jake Virtanen stays in Vancouver.. Every team wants a guy 6'1, 220, age 23, great speed, decent skills, future 19-25 G - PTS 44 - 50..

Jake only averages 13 minutes a game this season and put up good number with his amount of ice time. I really feel Jake Virtanen is ready to play in top 6, will his size and speed and skill  Jake will make more room for the talented players around him...Jake using his size better and rushing puck at full speed toward net causes so much havoc. Its like a train full speed coming down the track causes fear to other teams defence... 

Jake has a very bright future, hope we can sign him this summer - 3 yrs x 3.3 million...

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 2

love jakes game this yr it boggles my mind how many people want him traded on here and on twitter pretty much a 20 goal 40 point forward in full season for 1.25 mill bargain of a contract  id love him signed 4 yrs 3.5 mill per  especially if he gets more minutes  he should be groomed for pk and given time on second power play unit. He's 23  id keep him over Pearson who makes 3.75 another yr  I really could see Pearson being traded  at next deadline for a good prospect or a late first rounder. It all depends on if toffoli resigns which I think he will

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 4/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, Borvat said:

Hey I donated those shorts after my wife told me she wouldn't be seen in public with me if I wore them again.  Wonder where he got them?

donationbins.jpg (564×423)

Isn't he like ... a millionaire or something? And is he color blind. :lol:

• Cheers 1

On 5/6/2020 at 1:59 AM, Dats hockey said:

Look back at this picture you realize mans not even sweating:ph34r:

he’s stepped his game up... although his stats in the second biking stats in the second pic arent too impressive lol

81F2B98A-A7F8-46A8-9F07-AD9EC6DE3AA8.png

AD176436-3148-4647-B465-28B968F60076.png