The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

18 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Sweet Gordie I hope Jake has finally figured it out and shows up to camp fit as hell and ready to kick some ass. I also hope he's working on his cardio and not just the 'beach muscles'.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Sweet Gordie I hope Jake has finally figured it out and shows up to camp fit as hell and ready to kick some ass. I also hope he's working on his cardio and not just the 'beach muscles'.

To be honest, I'd rather hear about how fit Jake looks than how beefed up he looks.

• Burr 2
9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To be honest, I'd rather hear about how fit Jake looks than how beefed up he looks.

I think Jake is working out hard as he is in Kelowna away from friends and working out with Myers....

This alone is good news...

Can you imagine a fit faster Jake, maybe discipline decided to work with teammate Myers and keep focused....Its all good news...

• Like 1

I don't think Myers is a bad mentor for Jake. For a big man, I don't think he's ever had problems being in shape.

As much as I rag on Jake, I *really* hope he turns the page and takes it all seriously. A fit and focused Jake is a difference maker.

• Hydration 2
  • Burr 1

Lets hope Jake is realizing his potential as players like Miller and other pull him aside and work with him....Big hit in playoffs that knocked wind out of him, all these little things might of hit home with bigJake??? Jake has all the natural talent just has to start with work ethic and discipline and focus, keep in great shape..

Jake should be a top 6 forward producing GP 70 -- G 19- 24 -- PTS 44-48  Playing hard using his speed driving to net, consistent with big hits as he has speed on for check to scare D men....Lets hope Jake has changed still at 24 yrs old Jake can be a game changer if he plays his game...

With Jake working out daily with Myers, and staying focused, I think we're finally going to see the player we were hoping to see all this time. Jake scored 18 goals last year in a shortened season, and when he put in a half-a**ed effort.

I wonder how many he'll score next season playing on Bo's line?  25-30?

Jake had more regular time on the Canucks PP2 unit last year and once they started to produce, I recall Jake accumulating some points with them.  In total, Jake's 36-points consisted of 27 even strength points and 9 powerplay points so, if Jake continues to receive PP2 time and a more prominent offensive role, then I could see his numbers improving next year.

PP1 will presumably remain:

Boeser-Horvat-Pettersson

Miller-Hughes

PP2 will probably be:

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Edler-Schmidt

Sutter may figure onto the unit from time to time, but PP2 is mostly the same personnel as last year.  The addition of Schmidt could be huge however.  Edler might even swap out for Juolevi or Rafferty if either of them prove to be more adept as threats on the PP than Edler is at this stage of his career.  Edler is more of a static player on the PP at this point.  Schmidt's mobility could instantly make PP2 much more dangerous than it has before, and that would bode well for all the other players on that unit, including Jake.

Overall, all I want to see from Jake this year is that he's engaged right from cap and at puck drop for every game.  He doesn't always have to score since his skillset includes the ability to hit and otherwise pressure opponents D with his speed and strength.  If Jake is doing that at a good intensity level this season, then I would assume that the points would end up following.

29 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Jake had more regular time on the Canucks PP2 unit last year and once they started to produce, I recall Jake accumulating some points with them.  In total, Jake's 36-points consisted of 27 even strength points and 9 powerplay points so, if Jake continues to receive PP2 time and a more prominent offensive role, then I could see his numbers improving next year.

PP1 will presumably remain:

Boeser-Horvat-Pettersson

Miller-Hughes

PP2 will probably be:

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Edler-Schmidt

Sutter may figure onto the unit from time to time, but PP2 is mostly the same personnel as last year.  The addition of Schmidt could be huge however.  Edler might even swap out for Juolevi or Rafferty if either of them prove to be more adept as threats on the PP than Edler is at this stage of his career.  Edler is more of a static player on the PP at this point.  Schmidt's mobility could instantly make PP2 much more dangerous than it has before, and that would bode well for all the other players on that unit, including Jake.

Overall, all I want to see from Jake this year is that he's engaged right from cap and at puck drop for every game.  He doesn't always have to score since his skillset includes the ability to hit and otherwise pressure opponents D with his speed and strength.  If Jake is doing that at a good intensity level this season, then I would assume that the points would end up following.

Hell, you could even have Miller on PP2 with another d-man on PP1 (Myers, or Edler from your PP2). Or you could have Hughes on PP2 (if both units are struggling or to had legitimacy to the 2nd unit) to run that unit himself. I think Schmidt could be a good option on PP1 if we wanted Hughes on PP2 to spread out the wealth. 

It seems that most teams and I noticed it with the Canucks for sure play their PP1 unit for most of the PP so want to be sure the majority of the high skill is on that unit so it's not wasted.  Rarely they might start PP2 if the skaters from PP1 were just out, or the PP1 unit isn't producing any good looks.  

6 minutes ago, skategal said:

It seems that most teams and I noticed it with the Canucks for sure play their PP1 unit for most of the PP so want to be sure the majority of the high skill is on that unit so it's not wasted.  Rarely they might start PP2 if the skaters from PP1 were just out, or the PP1 unit isn't producing any good looks.  

There was a stretch where pp1 was overhandling the puck wasting 1 min passing around with no shots, then a turn over or clearing. PP2 came on and kept it simple with shots and goals

• Sedinery 3
7 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

There was a stretch where pp1 was overhandling the puck wasting 1 min passing around with no shots, then a turn over or clearing. PP2 came on and kept it simple with shots and goals

I noticed that often. 

Pissed away the minutes with PP1 before PP2 would just attack and head straight for the net.