The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Over his career, sure, especially during the regular season. Last playoffs and this year? He's a fringe 4th liner in terms of production. If you include the 2020 playoffs, in his last 51 games, he had 7 points (6G, 1A). That pro-rates to 11 points a year. That production is only acceptable to the premium 4th line guys who provide huge assets in physical play, defensive play, or leadership and they usually need those in droves to make up for that paltry production. Virtanen's absense of his prior offense is one (not the only) reason why we're struggling this year.

At his peak, Virtanen is a fringe 2nd line powerforward with a good physical edge. At his valleys, as we're seeing now, he's a 13th forward or AHL material. Are the peaks worth the valleys? Last regular season, I would've told you "yes". This year I'm not so sure.

I've always been on "team Virtanen" and I still am. However, just because I'm cheering for him to succeed, doesn't mean I can blindly look past his mistakes and failures.

My sentiments exactly.

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

i believe jake has 16 games to turn his game around, otherwise it might be time to cut some more fat. vesey at 1 mill is it much worse?

Based on 10 games, NO to Vesey

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

If only his teammates or linemates finished their chances. 

your joking right? can't remember a decent pass from Jake in a long time

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Based on 10 games, NO to Vesey

sure no vesey, but i don't think you will find much better for under a mill. anyways the point is if virtanen is playing like this, a replacement level (IE one of our prospects) forward might bring more bang for the buck.

vesey played 7 games for us btw.

14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

sure no vesey, but i don't think you will find much better for under a mill. anyways the point is if virtanen is playing like this, a replacement level (IE one of our prospects) forward might bring more bang for the buck.

vesey played 7 games for us btw.

7 ok, thanks

Jake will not be hard to replace 

ZACK MACEWEN

We saw JB cut Gaudette loose after not building on a decent year last season, and he'll do the same with Virtanen in this off-season I think. Right now Green is giving him <10 minutes a night and deploying him as a 4th liner. A 4th liner who doesn't score, doesn't contribute on the PP anymore, doesn't kill penalties and doesn't take faceoffs. Gaudette was the last player to do this (basically bring nothing to the table but 1 goal every 20 games) and JB got rid of him (arguably rightly so timing-wise). Virtanen is certainly next, especially with his higher cap hit.

Virtanen just needs to bring SOMETHING to the table. We see MacEwan can hit and fight, Boyd and Highmore can at least take faceoffs and therefore play on the PK, Motte does so many things (gritty, win battles, PK and score) but Virtanen really doesn't bring anything. He hasn't carved out his own niche and he's had opportunities all over the lineup to do so. The only other passenger I'd say right now is Vesey but he was a cheap waiver wire pickup, not a 6th overall pick on >$2M...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

22 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If comment^^^^^is sarcastic - yah, I agree.  If Jake only had better and more offensively gifted linemates to play with, he wouldn't have a big fat donut under the assist column.

If comment^^^^^is for real - ahhh no.  Plays go to die on Jake Virtanen's stick. 

I have been an ardent Jake Virtanen supporter, but the time has come to cut him loose. He's sorely lacking on hockey intelligence, creativity, abrasiveness/agitation, puck skills, and takes the momentum-killer crown (in another words, he's a dunce on the ice).  He's improved on the hitting and positional play, but he doesn't do nearly enough to be a regular roster player.  It's time to move on from Virtanen.  Fingers crossed the Kraken take him in the expansion draft.

If you made this statement a few years ago, i would definitely agree but you seem to just like repeating what others are saying the paat few years instead of actually watching the games. Open your eyes! 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

Then as I mentioned to another poster, open your eyes and actually pay attention

Wow, I was pretty sure my eyes were open, got a little drunk by the 3rd......... haven't missed a canucks game

Its very cute your Jake bromance, ahhh nice.

Send him flowers when he leaves town.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Wow, I was pretty sure my eyes were open, got a little drunk by the 3rd......... haven't missed a canucks game

Apparently what you and I see with our eyes open is much different than what someone else sees.  Perhaps our 20/20 vision is flawed in some way.

As much as I have wanted to see Virtanen succeed, it's time to get rid of him.  The cap space Virtanen takes up is more valuable to the team than the player himself.  Time to bite the bullet, admit the past seven years with Virtanen has amounted to a whole pile of nothing. 

48 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Apparently what you and I see with our eyes open is much different than what someone else sees.  Perhaps our 20/20 vision is flawed in some way.

As much as I have wanted to see Virtanen succeed, it's time to get rid of him.  The cap space Virtanen takes up is more valuable to the team than the player himself.  Time to bite the bullet, admit the past seven years with Virtanen has amounted to a whole pile of nothing. 

Well said, agree 100%

Like all canucks fans we wanted Jake to succeed and IMHO he has been give many opportunities to succeed

I hope he finds his way

Go Canucks go 

With Gadjovich, MacEwen, Lind, Jasek, Podkolzin, Karlsson and more in the wings I can't see any reason why Jake deserves to still be on the team next year over any of those cheaper most certainly more energetic options.

I've always been a team Virtanen guy, but after watching him and his conduct last year in the Okanagan and his production and lack of literally ANY level of energy on the ice over more than a period i'm done.

We have cheaper more willing options and there's a long history of teams that have picked far higher, far more consistently with far more busts than us and a 6th overall pick

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With Gadjovich, MacEwen, Lind, Jasek, Podkolzin, Karlsson and more in the wings I can't see any reason why Jake deserves to still be on the team next year over any of those cheaper most certainly more energetic options.

I've always been a team Virtanen guy, but after watching him and his conduct last year in the Okanagan and his production and lack of literally ANY level of energy on the ice over more than a period i'm done.

We have cheaper more willing options and there's a long history of teams that have picked far higher, far more consistently with far more busts than us and a 6th overall pick

I've never heard anything regarding Jake last summer.  Doesn't seem like he could get in any trouble hanging out with Meyers.

10 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

While your blind jake hatred is boring

• Thanks 1