The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

GOD. They've been SO STOKED at playing together and played SO WELL in their only opportunity. The fact that it took this long is garbage.

I agree with you. The preseason is all about trying different combinations until you find the one that works. In this case, they did find such a good chemistry only to break it up right away.

But at the same time, can't blame WD too much on this. He wants to balance the lines with the right mix of vets and the youngsters. The thing I like about WD is that when he is wrong, he is not afraid to admit it as can be seen from him deciding to go back to this line combo. If it were AV (I know, great coach), he would be too stubborn to admit his mistakes.

So the lines based on the reports above would be,

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

A bit weird to leave McCann out because he is playing pretty well.

You cannot put stock in something that half the players aren't taking seriously.

While I agree the pre-season isn't the greatest indicator on regular season play, when players play that well together and the Canucks are trying to mold a new roster, it makes sense to try them together again.

I agree with you. The preseason is all about trying different combinations until you find the one that works. In this case, they did find such a good chemistry only to break it up right away.

But at the same time, can't blame WD too much on this. He wants to balance the lines with the right mix of vets and the youngsters. The thing I like about WD is that when he is wrong, he is not afraid to admit it as can be seen from him deciding to go back to this line combo. If it were AV (I know, great coach), he would be too stubborn to admit his mistakes.

So the lines based on the reports above would be,

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

A bit weird to leave McCann out because he is playing pretty well.

Yeah, but if he's banged up a bit, better to rest him and stretch his 9 games.

While I agree the pre-season isn't the greatest indicator on regular season play, when players play that well together and the Canucks are trying to mold a new roster, it makes sense to try them together again.

Which is perfectly fine, bud.

Just the way you phrased it like it was game 80 or something. :frantic:

Will be interesting to see how this line plays, I am sure all three are itching to make an impact.

Virtanen - Hungry for his first goal

Baertschi - Just sat out

Horvat - Was just -3 and must have been frustrated with his line mates

I think they will come out flying, motivated and confident.

Hope they play well!

had a couple of nice takeaways last night. If we can see more of that, especially on the forcheck he would be so dangerous. 

I agree.  He would be a key player on the Nucks if he uses his blazing speed and strength effectively on the forecheck every game.  Talk about a game changer eh?

• Like 1

I agree.  He would be a key player on the Nucks if he uses his blazing speed and strength effectively on the forecheck every game.  Talk about a game changer eh?

you guys know more than me, but what's your take on how easy it is to teach that stuff? people say power forwards take time right. 

• Like 1

Does this kid want to make the team or what?  He needs to show why he was a 6th overall pick.  I don't know if he just isn't smart enough to get himself open or if he's just not interested in producing offense.  19 years old or not I'd like him to show me something to get excited about, instead of just floating around for 2 periods and then sitting out the 3rd. 

Yeah, Jake did not do much tonight against the Capitals. I don't want to revive the "hockey IQ" debate but his offensive instincts did not look good. Right now it would be hard to justify keeping him the line-up when Higgins comes back.

I hate to say this but Jake reminds me a bit of Zack Kassian. He seems to be unsure where to position himself, when to go in and help out and generally more often than not he stands around looking lost. Imo we must not let him lose out on going to Utica where he can be coached under less pressure even if it means a year in the majors before it happens.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we didn't see him up again for 2-3 years if it will help him avoid turning out like Zack.

I would much rather have seen Gaunce get his chance. (he looked the best of the rookie forwards anyway) I also think we might see a much better, more physical Shink if he keeps up his early season form.

I don't blame JB for keeping Jake up, after all we needed to see if he would stick before shoving him back into the majors and I think we can all see, it takes more than a few hits to make it in the NHL.

Edited by alfstonker

I can't imagine if Jake gets sent down to the juniors after his 9 games... a power forward with speed plus a true local kid... that's gonna hurt the market even more if you haven't noticed the empty seats... most local fans have lost the passion and would rather follow the Blue Jays. Jake is definitely good enough to stay and he just needs more time. Trevor Linden already mentioned Jake was pencilled in to our roster during offseason and the kid sure has a lot of heart to make things work.

He did look lost on the ice at times but he's only 19 in his first season!! More often than not, you do see him skating hard, getting involved, getting into the dirty area and of course laying big hits!

On a side note, Gaunce would be an upgrade over Cracknell for sure though!