The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't see an in-season trade of either Stech or Tanev barring some disastrous run of injuries that has us out of the playoffs (knocking on my wood desk as I say this).

I think Stecher is the one that gets dealt as he's still an RFA so teams would be trading for some time prior to UFA there, so thats worth something. 

But in all likihood I see one of them simply walking as a UFA. Its not as critical as it was say 3 or 4 years ago to recover a mid-round pick. We still gain the roster spot and salary cap space when one guy walks, and thats all the team really needs. Picks are a nice bonus.

Swapping Nikita for Stecher is kind of a no-brainer, you'd make that trade any day imo. 

I think in the cap era we need to accept that a guy leaving as a UFA opens cap space, which has a value. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I think in the cap era we need to accept that a guy leaving as a UFA opens cap space, which has a value. 

yeah exactly. It happens all the time but only seems to be an issue on HF Boards with all the self-appointed asset managers. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't see an in-season trade of either Stech or Tanev barring some disastrous run of injuries that has us out of the playoffs (knocking on my wood desk as I say this).

I think Stecher is the one that gets dealt as he's still an RFA so teams would be trading for some time prior to UFA there, so thats worth something. 

But in all likihood I see one of them simply walking as a UFA. Its not as critical as it was say 3 or 4 years ago to recover a mid-round pick. We still gain the roster spot and salary cap space when one guy walks, and thats all the team really needs. Picks are a nice bonus.

Swapping Nikita for Stecher is kind of a no-brainer, you'd make that trade any day imo. 

I think it's unlikely, not impossible.

If Juolevi continues to thrive offensively and continues to clean up his game in his own end in Utica... I wouldn't put it past the team if there's a sufficient enough return coming back for either Stecher or Tanev (we'd also likely need to see a Juolevi recall at some point to see how he fairs at this level). Playoffs or otherwise.

Particularly if all signs also point to Tryamkin returning as well (which Benning should have a far clearer indication of from his agent towards the TDL). If Sautner, Brisebois, Rafferty and Teves continue to look solid as well (and Fantenburg when he gets in), that also makes a potential move easier to make (with capable depth waiting in the wings).

But yes, if I was putting money on it, it would be trading Stecher's RFA rights in the summer or Tanev simply walking as an 'own rental'.

And FTR, I think both are worth more than a mid round pick ;) 

But to the point of 'who's coming out?', it's one of those two IMO. Eventually anyway ;) 

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think it's unlikely, not impossible.

If Juolevi continues to thrive offensively and continues to clean up his game in his own end in Utica... I wouldn't put it past the team if there's a sufficient enough return coming back for either Stecher or Tanev (we'd also likely need to see a Juolevi recall at some point to see how he fairs at this level). Playoffs or otherwise.

Particularly if all signs also point to Tryamkin returning as well (which Benning should have a far clearer indication of from his agent towards the TDL). If Sautner, Brisebois, Rafferty and Teves continue to look solid as well (and Fantenburg when he gets in), that also makes a potential move easier to make (with capable depth waiting in the wings).

But yes, if I was putting money on it, it would be trading Stecher's RFA rights in the summer or Tanev simply walking as an 'own rental'.

And FTR, I think both are worth more than a mid round pick ;) 

But to the point of 'who's coming out?', it's one of those two IMO. Eventually anyway ;) 

I think they are worth more than that, just not sure we'd get offered more given the lowballing on Tanev in the past in particular. 

But hey if it played out that Juolevi made Stech tradable that would be something. I still don't think we see Nik play this year but who knows. 

Tanev is not getting traded. This team is trying to make the playoffs and win a round. You don't trade away your 2nd pair Dman who is clicking so well with Hughes when the team is playing this well. 

He'd be traded at tdl if we are a bottom feeder team but not if we are a playoff team. 

If Tram comes back it's possible Stecher gets moved in a package if an improvement could be made on 2nd line wing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think they are worth more than that, just not sure we'd get offered more given the lowballing on Tanev in the past in particular. 

But hey if it played out that Juolevi made Stech tradable that would be something. I still don't think we see Nik play this year but who knows. 

Tanev's been low balled because he (like a lot of our team the past few years when we've been a poor/low puck possession team) hasn't been healthy. I think he's even been on IR the past few TDL's IIRC. Nobody's paying top dollar for a guy on IR, with injury history and term left.

IF he can stay healthy and continues to put up solid numbers playing beside Hughes on an expiring rental deal though.... That Tanev has trade value. Possibly even a contender's late 1st +/-.

But again, I agree, it's likely (unfortunately) Stecher as odd man out.

Nik just provides playoff insurance in this scenario IMO. If we move out one of Tanev/Stecher, recall OJ (or Brisebois, Rafferty etc) and Tryamkin comes in after his KHL season, we've got plenty of depth should OJ falter or we get an injury. Beyond that, he's more of a 'next year' player, I agree.

Sure would be nice to have available to plug in come playoffs though. Especially if we end up playing a heavier team.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 11/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, SilentSam said:

bahahahaha great. he flipped the puck out for a penalty. welcome to the ignore list, a select few. who the f @s a guy 3 times? petty enough?

Tram is nothing special. Doubt he pushes anyone out of our top 6. upgrade over Stecher, maybe. I remember hoping Tram would put in half the effort of Stech, though when asked to, he instead fled to the KHL and trashed our city. I'd take the Richmond kid anyday. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you are talking about the two who will be on the block. Tanev and Stecher. Both have expiring contracts and Tanev will be the biggest CAP hit. Based on the return it is still Tanev I move even with a playoff push. I consider playoffs as part of the maturing process this club goes thru towards serious CUP contention in 3 years. I don't see either of these d-men as part of that team.

As quickly as Hughes is adapting to the NHL by the end of the season it might not make as big a dif as to the ongoing need for Tanev.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you are talking about the two who will be on the block. Tanev and Stecher. Both have expiring contracts and Tanev will be the biggest CAP hit. Based on the return it is still Tanev I move even with a playoff push. I consider playoffs as part of the maturing process this club goes thru towards serious CUP contention in 3 years. I don't see either of these d-men as part of that team.

As quickly as Hughes is adapting to the NHL by the end of the season it might not make as big a dif as to the ongoing need for Tanev.  

This is exactly my opinion and very applicable to other players as well. Sutter is having a good year and should have some trade value, while also allowing Gaudette to play important minutes as a centre and grow. MacEwen can replace Schaller. Tram, Juolevi or Rafferty can replace Tanev etc.

Let this budding young playoff competitor grow and play over guys that wont be here

Look, Benning wants internal competition and he wants his players to earn their ice time in that kind of environment.  He just isn't moving out players and rolling out the red carpet for an unknown quantity.  Also, what if Tryamkin comes over, has mixed results and heads back to Russia after a year.  Benning isn't going to weaken the team's D for a maybe.  If Tryamkin wants to come and play in Vancouver, he's going to have to work his tail off like everybody else.

• Upvote 2

I’m a Huge Trym fan and wanting him on the Canucks ASAP.

My concerns of his return this late season is Trym is left handed so he’s going to have too replace a left Dman. Stecher Tanev both right handed And play right side.

Green will NOT put Trym on the right side. So Stecher and Tanev are safe from being Tryamkin replaced unless Quinn moves to the Right side which makes more sence then Tryamkin on right side. Then who plays with Quinn? Top 4 unfortunately Green wouldn’t play Tryamkin as a top 4 to start till he proves he can be a NHL top 4 guy....maybe Benn can play right side paired on the third pair with Trym.

if Tryamkin was Right hand shot things would be solid, but he’s a left hand shot. 

so I’m not sure where Tryamkin fits in this season but he needs too be signed.

9 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

bahahahaha great. he flipped the puck out for a penalty. welcome to the ignore list, a select few. who the f @s a guy 3 times? petty enough?

Tram is nothing special. Doubt he pushes anyone out of our top 6. upgrade over Stecher, maybe. I remember hoping Tram would put in half the effort of Stech, though when asked to, he instead fled to the KHL and trashed our city. I'd take the Richmond kid anyday. 

Great post @Ossi Vaananen,   I will save it for future reference..  your doubts will keep you ihiding behind your shades and neck tie high in martinis.  Thanks for showing up.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I think a big part of it is how hard Benning goes after Barrie in FA, and also what kind of salary Stetcher really tries to demand. Even if Troy wanted to extend at his current salary of 2.35 I don't know if we really can afford that vs an ELC given that Benn can play the right side with Juolevi e.g. 

I like both players a lot but this is going to be one of those business decisions where you lose a good person. Happens. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’m a Huge Trym fan and wanting him on the Canucks ASAP.

My concerns of his return this late season is Trym is left handed so he’s going to have too replace a left Dman. Stecher Tanev both right handed And play right side.

Green will NOT put Trym on the right side. So Stecher and Tanev are safe from being Tryamkin replaced unless Quinn moves to the Right side which makes more sence then Tryamkin on right side. Then who plays with Quinn? Top 4 unfortunately Green wouldn’t play Tryamkin as a top 4 to start till he proves he can be a NHL top 4 guy....maybe Benn can play right side paired on the third pair with Trym.

if Tryamkin was Right hand shot things would be solid, but he’s a left hand shot. 

so I’m not sure where Tryamkin fits in this season but he needs too be signed.

Tryamkin plays mostly on the right side actually that is what he played almost exclusively with us last time around.  He can play either though.

This season (assuming no injuries which is kind of laughable considering our history) for the playoffs you would end up with:

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher
Fantenberg-Tryamkin

Depending on the series and who is playing the best, you could easily see Tryamkin slotted into Stecher's place sometimes for fresh legs and to lean on the opposition early in series to wear them down.  That gives us 8 legit NHL defencemen and you need that depth for the playoffs where you don't make it through unscathed.

Next season could have a 3rd pairing with Benn and Tryamkin who can both play either side and slide up to the 2nd pairing in case of injury.... or Juolevi in the 3rd pairing and Benn (who you don't need to worry about development) as the extra guy.  That means we would only sign one of Tanev and Stecher at most for the following season.

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Juolevi-Tryamkin
Benn

If we signed Tanev and Tryamkin you could always package Juolevi up with something to go after a top 6 winger, which we are still short of by one or two.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Juolevi-Tryamkin
Benn

If we signed Tanev and Tryamkin you could always package Juolevi up with something to go after a top 6 winger, which we are still short of by one or two.

I ready like your D pairings for next season. 

I hope Tryamkin is able too get some playing time this season with the Canucks. 

I just know Coach Green is likes lefty’s left side and righty’s right side. If Tryamkin is solid on the right side and convinces Green that would be huge for moving forward. Only Woo which is yrs away from the Canucks lineup and I think Rathbone are the only righty’s Canucks have.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I just know Coach Green is likes lefty’s left side and righty’s right side. If Tryamkin is solid on the right side and convinces Green that would be huge for moving forward. Only Woo which is yrs away from the Canucks lineup and I think Rathbone are the only righty’s Canucks have.

Nice thing about Tryamkin is he plays both sides, and actually prefers his off side.  I always forget about Rathbone.  He looks like he's going to be on our team before Woo.  The kid is really good!!!

10 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Tryamkin is a lefty but like Lumme plays the right side

Rathbone is a lefty and plays left.

Rafferty is Right & Right

Woo is Right & Right

Juolevi is a L & L.

Sautner L&L

Fatenburg L&L 

The only other righty we have currently is Chatfield.

Benning's dilemma is does he have enough faith in Tryamkin and Rafferty to trade Stecher for a winger, although IMO Beartschi is still a top 6 winger, assuming his health holds out.

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Tryamkin is a lefty but like Lumme plays the right side

Rathbone is a lefty and plays left.

Rafferty is Right & Right

Woo is Right & Right

Juolevi is a L & L.

Sautner L&L

Fatenburg L&L 

The only other righty we have currently is Chatfield.

Benning's dilemma is does he have enough faith in Tryamkin and Rafferty to trade Stecher for a winger, although IMO Beartschi is still a top 6 winger, assuming his health holds out.

I love Stecher, but he's a bottom pairing dman. He's like Hutton who's a decent player, but may simply cost too much for a replaceable position. Rafferty is decent insurance should for any reason Tryamkin not pan out. With that said, Stecher isn't going to have a lot of trade value either, but you might find a desperate team like Toronto give up slightly above value to shore up their defense.

The potential of Tryamkin is worth the gamble here IMO. It could also determine how "expendable" Tanev may be as his cap space may be needed.

Edited by theo5789

12 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I love Stecher, but he's a bottom pairing dman. He's like Hutton who's a decent player, but may simply cost too much for a replaceable position. Rafferty is decent insurance should for any reason Tryamkin not pan out. With that said, Stecher isn't going to have a lot of trade value either, but you might find a desperate team like Toronto give up slightly above value to shore up their defense.

The potential of Tryamkin is worth the gamble here IMO. It could also determine how "expendable" Tanev may be as his cap space may be needed.

I watched Rafferty last season straight in from the NCAA and he has "it" his IQ is high ad for a couple of shifts was paired with Hughes, instant understanding. I tend to think Rafferty has a chance to be an above average NHL player. Certainly and interesting prospect to keep and eye on, Tryamkin would be a great addition for the play-offs IMO. he can certainly dish it out as good as any in the NHL