Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D


Recommended Posts

If they were trying to use him to set an example he called their bluff and made them look stupid.

 

So what spend the rest of his rfa years in russia then sign with a team with a russian sub culture in NA. Win win.

 

Willie....i stood up for him while he was coach.....happy to see him gone. I get what the Sedins have done while never winning us a cup but the get away with uninspired play all the time. If youre setting an example its team wide, not just the new guy who is out of his element.

 

The teams that win cups have a no man left behind policy not a mutiple set of standards.

 

I am hoping this changes with Green

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Drewismyname
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

If they were trying to use him to set an example he called their bluff and made them look stupid.

 

So what spend the rest of his rfa years in russia then sign with a team with a russian sub culture in NA. Win win.

 

Willie....i stood up for him while he was coach.....happy to see him gone. I get what the Sedins have done while never winning us a cup but the get away with uninspired play all the time. If youre setting an example its team wide, not just the new guy who is out of his element.

 

The teams that win cups have a no man left behind policy not a mutiple set of standards.

 

I am hoping this changes with Green

I dunno Drew.  I don't get it but some fans have been hoping for a coach to come in and bench the Sedins (or Edler) for years now.

 

AV, Torts, Willie... all coaches who value hard work and all who leaned heavily on / basically gushed about the Sedins.  

 

It would be a pretty long bet to think Green is going to come in and crack the whip on the Swedes - not because they are/were "stars" but because it won't be needed.

 

A far safer bet would be that these guys were the pace cars for team effort, professionalism and consistency all along - and still are.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

I get what the Sedins have done while never winning us a cup but they get away with uninspired play all the time.

 

Soooo, you think that the Sedins do not put their all out effort into their games?   They are lazy?   What exactly are you getting at here?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I dunno Drew.  I don't get it but some fans have been hoping for a coach to come in and bench the Sedins (or Edler) for years now.

 

AV, Torts, Willie... all coaches who value hard work and all who leaned heavily on / basically gushed about the Sedins.  

 

It would be a pretty long bet to think Green is going to come in and crack the whip on the Swedes - not because they are/were "stars" but because it won't be needed.

 

A far safer bet would be that these guys were the pace cars for team effort, professionalism and consistency all along - and still are.

Yeah, as much as we've seen some age related decline over the past few years with the Sedins, they are hardly the problem. If anything, the struggles the twins have endured have exposed issues with the surrounding team, moreso than difficiencies in their own play.

 

If this team had a wealth of young talent at the top of the lineup, solid quality depth at all positions, and a coach who kept the team firing on all cylinders, I suspect the twins wouldn't see much criticism at all.

 

Clearly, the days of the Sedins being front line players you can build around have passed. And the team failed to address the void quickly enough. We're now playing catchup.

 

Thankfully, we are on the road to recovery, with some good young players in the system and likely several more on the way in the next few drafts.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, as much as we've seen some age related decline over the past few years with the Sedins, they are hardly the problem. If anything, the struggles the twins have endured have exposed issues with the surrounding team, moreso than difficiencies in their own play.

 

If this team had a wealth of young talent at the top of the lineup, solid quality depth at all positions, and a coach who kept the team firing on all cylinders, I suspect the twins wouldn't see much criticism at all.

 

Clearly, the days of the Sedins being front line players you can build around have passed. And the team failed to address the void quickly enough. We're now playing catchup.

 

Thankfully, we are on the road to recovery, with some good young players in the system and likely several more on the way in the next few drafts.

Oh yeah.  

 

I still remember that CA article at the end of last season showing most teams still matched their top defence pairing against the Sedins.  Pair that with less talent to play with (a young D and a revolving door of wingers) it's not hard to see why Father Time is catching up rather quickly.

 

Optimistically, I think this is the year Bo and Baer take the reigns - I think they're up to it.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Soooo, you think that the Sedins do not put their all out effort into their games?   They are lazy?   What exactly are you getting at here?

They have displayed uninspired play since 2011 and have been given a pass by their coaches getting a lot of undeserved top powerplay time.

 

Im getting at the vets need to be held just as accountable as the rookies. Try got given the tough love approach while he coupd barely speak english and then left.

 

He was the most dangerous d prospect we've had since Bourdon rest his soul and willie totally misplayed the situation and now hes in russia.

 

I get the whole paying your dues approach but clearly that is only applied the the ones in willies dog house which sends the wrong message to the team and creates a toxic devisive environment bwtween team mates, not to mention wastes the owners money.

 

Ego has no place in a performance driven industry.

Edited by Drewismyname
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow on the two bolded statements.   Just wow.  

 

  • On the first one, these are two HOF players who leave it all on the ice every shift.   They are not flashy, they are not physical but they play their assets off every shift and it takes a missing limb or two to get them out of the lineup.   I am amazed anyone calling themselves a Canuck fan would question their effort.   Have their skills declined as they have aged?   Yup.   Are they winning NHL hardware in their late 30s?  Nope.   However, saying they are not "inspired" to me is simply not compatible with reality.
  • By "dangerous" do you mean most likely to lead to a goal on your own team or do you mean he is handy with a weapon?   I am certainly you are not implying from a hockey skill perspective.   If you are, you think he has more potential than Juolevi?    Really?!   I guess I need to add a third "wow".

 

Each to their own opinion but I do not share much of yours in respect to those two points.    You also seem to be blaming the last coach for a player getting married, having a wife who wanted to be back in Russia, a player who didn't report to team in way he was told to and a few other elements that if a coach did have control over would be both creepy and probably illegal in most countries - but you go with that if you wish.

 

Have fun and keep on keeping on slagging the Sedins.   I guess someone has to question the character of two individuals who may have the best character of any professional athletes your Province has even been blessed to be associated with - I guess you are that someone.    You are not questioning their inevitable decline in skills, you are questioning their character.   Wow.

 

It's sadly common in the fan base - "fan favorite flavours of the week" like Virtanen, Goldobin or Tryamkin get called out for anything and the fans start pointing fingers at the Sedins of all people for doing the same thing. Heaven forbid our vulture media gets anything less than a warm hug of a comment from the captain towards a young guy.

 

I mean they're human - I'm sure there are moments where they aren't 100% but our coaches and opposing coaches still see them as the best on the ice.  Considering their careers are built on equal parts brains/skill/effort I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt that they're consistently bringing a professional effort. If they haven't earned it no one ever will.  New guys have a LOT to prove and quite frankly coaches and vets are doing them a huge disservice letting them cut corners instead of forming proper habits.

 

With things like power play time there's a catch-22 in coaching where people assume there is a solution to every problem. Sometimes the talent just isn't there. The thinking is if something isn't working, you just need to try something else over and over until eventually things will work out. In my experience the best option generally is to stick with what you're doing and try to tweak, troubleshoot and build off of it rather than tear it down and start all over multiple times.  Especially with limited mid-season practice time.  But meanwhile coaches get crapped on for not trying something new, even though they might be, just on a smaller scale.  The catch-22 is the coach would hear just as much criticism if you tried something random that didn't work. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Fair enough man. You say tomato I say uninspired play. I think we're a bit too far off on our perspectives for it to even be worth debating.

 

And yes I think tryamkin has more potential than juolevi in regards to winning this team a cup.

Tryamkin was my favourite Canuck to watch last season.  As his fitness improved he began to join the rush more, and cycle into the offence.  The guy is literally a HUGE loss for our team, and the fans who loved to watch him play.  What ever the reasons for his going home, he will be missed here:(

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spook007 said:

Its kinda like the patients running the asylum. isn't it? 

This is a team sport. What message does it send to the other players, that an NHL rookie obviously out of shape get game time ahead of others working their ass off in the Off season? 

I agree, consistency is very important. But they threw that out the window when they made an exception for Virtanen who was also horribly out of shape. They could have kept an experienced pro like Chaput when they realized that Jake was out of shape. They didn't and I think it just send the wrong message to the players that if you were the hometown prized 6th overall pick you didn't have to put in the same level of commitment. I believe the previous season Daniel alluded to it when he called out effort level of some in the dressing room. I believe now that he was referring to Jake, I think it was Dave Tomlinson that said that he was the last guy on the ice and first guy off of it. 

 

So really you have a situation where they enforced the standard and sat out Tryamkin for being out of shape but they gave Virtanen an undeserved spot in the lineup despite being out of shape. The big Russian is distressed and asks them to consider the option of sending him to Russia. I believe they should have taken that option. As soon as a prospect arrives in less than optimal physical condition, you send him back. Virtanen should have been sent to Utica as one of the first cuts and Tryamkin should have been loaned back out to his Russian team. It sends a message to the entire organization that no matter how good you are there is a standard expected of all players and personnel that you must follow. I liked what the Isles did with Ho-Sang, he showed up late and boom he was back on a flight to his junior team the next day. That's how you make an impression and now the kid looks pretty good in his brief stint in the NHL.

 

I believe that Tryamkin will be back, the faster he improves the more likely he is to come back to the NHL earlier. I think he was just not happy with his progress last year. I think if he had persisted he would have found success especially this season but he thought going back home would be the better environment for improvement. I can somewhat understand that as the language barrier comes into play and even with an interpreter it is still hard not to feel disadvantaged. Hopefully now that he has an understanding of the level of commitment the NHL requires of him he can be more focused on his fitness. Maybe taking some English lessons might help as well, Mrs Tryamkin can also help, I think someone just posted that she has a grasp of the language.

 

I can't understand the people who seem to have turned on him, maybe Russia is the best place for his development. He certainly hasn't gone there for the money as we know he would make more here. Have some faith that this could be better for him in the long run. 

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

 

It's sadly common in the fan base - "fan favorite flavours of the week" like Virtanen, Goldobin or Tryamkin get called out for anything and the fans start pointing fingers at the Sedins of all people for doing the same thing. Heaven forbid our vulture media gets anything less than a warm hug of a comment from the captain towards a young guy.

 

I mean they're human - I'm sure there are moments where they aren't 100% but our coaches and opposing coaches still see them as the best on the ice.  Considering their careers are built on equal parts brains/skill/effort I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt that they're consistently bringing a professional effort. If they haven't earned it no one ever will.  New guys have a LOT to prove and quite frankly coaches and vets are doing them a huge disservice letting them cut corners instead of forming proper habits.

 

With things like power play time there's a catch-22 in coaching where people assume there is a solution to every problem. Sometimes the talent just isn't there. The thinking is if something isn't working, you just need to try something else over and over until eventually things will work out. In my experience the best option generally is to stick with what you're doing and try to tweak, troubleshoot and build off of it rather than tear it down and start all over multiple times.  Especially with limited mid-season practice time.  But meanwhile coaches get crapped on for not trying something new, even though they might be, just on a smaller scale.  The catch-22 is the coach would hear just as much criticism if you tried something random that didn't work. 

How exactly is Virtanen "flavour of the week"? Guy regularly gets dumped on which is why you see so many instances of people coming to his defense, I don't even think that many people have faith in him anymore and most have him relegated him to bust/4th liner territory. People look around the league and screams "bust" cause some other guy is doing good and decide to come here and say "Virtanen is trash, no brain, ego maniac. We coulda had Sedin 2.0 in Nylandurr".

 

I agree people will over inflate Tryamkin though. He is like the Russian Gudbranson. Could bring that leadership (Potentially, he seemed like a good guy), toughness, and grit just like Gudbranson but neither will light up the league with their offence. Which is fantastic given he was a 3rd rounder honestly.

Edited by N7Nucks
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

How exactly is Virtanen "flavour of the week"? Guy regularly gets dumped on which is why you see so many instances of people coming to his defense, I don't even think that many people have faith in him anymore and most have him relegated him to bust/4th liner territory. People look around the league and screams "bust" cause some other guy is doing good and decide to come here and say "Virtanen is trash, no brain, ego maniac. We coulda had Sedin 2.0 in Nylandurr".

 

I agree people will over inflate Tryamkin though. He is like the Russian Gudbranson. Could bring that leadership (Potentially, he seemed like a good guy), toughness, and grit just like Gudbranson but neither will light up the league with their offence. Which is fantastic given he was a 3rd rounder honestly.

I agree - He isn't anymore but last year around Camp the "young guys" got called out by Sedins / Burrows and fans got their usual knickers in a twist about keeping that in the room blah blah blah shut up old guys focus on your own play blah blah blah.  Then they turned around and crapped on the kid on their own. I agree Virt gets (unfairly)treated like a doormat by most nowadays-but he needed that kick in the pants to the AHL and he seems to have straightened himself out.

 

Yeah Tryamkin's upside was always built around his size.  Quick "for a big guy."  That's why I don't see it as much of a loss if you believe he didn't like being pushed to play physical.  Maybe he'll change his mind over time.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

.. and recently seen where WD refused to use him..

ps. Love the fact his instagram and FB account pictures have him in the Nuck's flavours.

IMG_0455.PNG

Ugh...imagine that coming down on your head...!? My neck hurts thinking about it lol. Nice to see him getting some PP time, and in front of the net! Cherry on top. I remember when Byfuglen was in Chicago and they would park him in front of Lu on the PP. Was damn effective...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys......I agree with all that has been said about Tryamkin

 

1. Came into camp out of shape.......

2.......what exactly was #2?

 

Maybe I am wrong but, I seen the first games where he was gassed.........then he started to get better..........the team didn't, the Sedin's didn't, Hutton didn't, really what can be said about a team that ends up in 2nd to last spot..........

 

Oh, yeah, Their 6'8" rookie is out of shape and that was the root of the Canucks dismal season........Really?

 

The truth is, and correct me if I am wrong, but Tryamkin's curve was upward.........

 

Teams were skating down the other side

 

Other teams tried to goon him

 

All the while, most fan's seen steady improvement

 

Did he misjudge the commitment needed.......yes, he probably did.......but he got into shape and while he did it, Willie and the Sedin's call him out for it, all the while the whole team was playing poorly and the Sedin's who seldom back check, call him out for his fitness

 

Again, his play continue to strengthen, with other players play did not, and while the coaches decisions did not.............this probably confused the $&!# out of Tryamkin, because he seen his own progress, and didn't see it from others...

 

The coach bagging on him....maybe rightfully so, while there is no PP, no PK, no elite offense from the Sedins

 

Sorry guys, Tryamkin is the future, and the Sedin's great play was in the past.....

 

I thought Willie's demise, or part of it was not being able to let go of his early season feelings and gave the guy a pat on the back.....same for our great leaders, that didn't say things like wow has he improved! Man I am glad I don't have to go down his wing, Yeah maybe someone should have stood up for our rookie

 

To me, we just didn't send the right messages to Tryamkin........does anyone think Tryamkin's play was why Willie got fired?

 

By the end of the year.....who was better than him outside of Tanev and Stecher? Now think of him as a rookie.......he made an impact, and Willie got fired, and Benning should have given him a decent raise, and a exercise program for the summer...

 

Yes his fitness was questionable...........what about the other guys.......you know the vets?

 

You guys are hitting one point.......I believe if Benning would have fired Willie earlier and sent a message to the players that this is a work in progress....I think it turns out better!

 

Just my $1.37 cents worth....

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Toews said:

I agree, consistency is very important. But they threw that out the window when they made an exception for Virtanen who was also horribly out of shape. They could have kept an experienced pro like Chaput when they realized that Jake was out of shape. They didn't and I think it just send the wrong message to the players that if you were the hometown prized 6th overall pick you didn't have to put in the same level of commitment. I believe the previous season Daniel alluded to it when he called out effort level of some in the dressing room. I believe now that he was referring to Jake, I think it was Dave Tomlinson that said that he was the last guy on the ice and first guy off of it. 

Agree 100% ... Think they need to keep the fans interested...ticket sales.

Quote

 

So really you have a situation where they enforced the standard and sat out Tryamkin for being out of shape but they gave Virtanen an undeserved spot in the lineup despite being out of shape. The big Russian is distressed and asks them to consider the option of sending him to Russia. I believe they should have taken that option. As soon as a prospect arrives in less than optimal physical condition, you send him back. Virtanen should have been sent to Utica as one of the first cuts and Tryamkin should have been loaned back out to his Russian team. It sends a message to the entire organization that no matter how good you are there is a standard expected of all players and personnel that you must follow. I liked what the Isles did with Ho-Sang, he showed up late and boom he was back on a flight to his junior team the next day. That's how you make an impression and now the kid looks pretty good in his brief stint in the NHL.

Again regarding Virtanen yes, Tryamkin maybe... They wanted to see what they had, and when they saw, what they had, they did not want to let him go again. Think it was a lot to do with poor communicationr between Tryamkin/WD/Management... That's how it came across, when it came out in the press, that he couldn't be sent to AHL due to contractual reasons. Who knows, maybe it was Tryamkins way of trying to go back to Russia. He may not even have wanted to be here at that stage?

 

Quote

 

I believe that Tryamkin will be back, the faster he improves the more likely he is to come back to the NHL earlier. I think he was just not happy with his progress last year. I think if he had persisted he would have found success especially this season but he thought going back home would be the better environment for improvement. I can somewhat understand that as the language barrier comes into play and even with an interpreter it is still hard not to feel disadvantaged. Hopefully now that he has an understanding of the level of commitment the NHL requires of him he can be more focused on his fitness. Maybe taking some English lessons might help as well, Mrs Tryamkin can also help, I think someone just posted that she has a grasp of the language.

 

I can't understand the people who seem to have turned on him, maybe Russia is the best place for his development. He certainly hasn't gone there for the money as we know he would make more here. Have some faith that this could be better for him in the long run. 

Can't even believe its a question if he should take lessons in English. If I had to live in Russia with no one else speaking English, I would not be able to survive... Never mind a translator. Unless you embrace the culture of the country you're in, you'll never make it.

 

Don't think people has turn on Tryamkin, as we all would have liked him to play for us, but the fact is, he bolted for KHL, and that is the end of him for me, until he comes back, if he ever comes back.

Edited by spook007
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Guys......I agree with all that has been said about Tryamkin

 

1. Came into camp out of shape.......

2.......what exactly was #2?

 

Maybe I am wrong but, I seen the first games where he was gassed.........then he started to get better..........the team didn't, the Sedin's didn't, Hutton didn't, really what can be said about a team that ends up in 2nd to last spot..........

 

Oh, yeah, Their 6'8" rookie is out of shape and that was the root of the Canucks dismal season........Really?

 

The truth is, and correct me if I am wrong, but Tryamkin's curve was upward.........

 

Teams were skating down the other side

 

Other teams tried to goon him

 

All the while, most fan's seen steady improvement

 

Did he misjudge the commitment needed.......yes, he probably did.......but he got into shape and while he did it, Willie and the Sedin's call him out for it, all the while the whole team was playing poorly and the Sedin's who seldom back check, call him out for his fitness

 

Again, his play continue to strengthen, with other players play did not, and while the coaches decisions did not.............this probably confused the $&!# out of Tryamkin, because he seen his own progress, and didn't see it from others...

 

The coach bagging on him....maybe rightfully so, while there is no PP, no PK, no elite offense from the Sedins

 

Sorry guys, Tryamkin is the future, and the Sedin's great play was in the past.....

 

I thought Willie's demise, or part of it was not being able to let go of his early season feelings and gave the guy a pat on the back.....same for our great leaders, that didn't say things like wow has he improved! Man I am glad I don't have to go down his wing, Yeah maybe someone should have stood up for our rookie

 

To me, we just didn't send the right messages to Tryamkin........does anyone think Tryamkin's play was why Willie got fired?

 

By the end of the year.....who was better than him outside of Tanev and Stecher? Now think of him as a rookie.......he made an impact, and Willie got fired, and Benning should have given him a decent raise, and a exercise program for the summer...

 

Yes his fitness was questionable...........what about the other guys.......you know the vets?

 

You guys are hitting one point.......I believe if Benning would have fired Willie earlier and sent a message to the players that this is a work in progress....I think it turns out better!

 

Just my $1.37 cents worth....

 

 

Who on earth is saying Tryamkins was at fault for the poor season we just had?

 

And if WD wanted to be fired, he would have sat the Sedins and Eriksson, and brought more AHL players up. Then he would have been out by Christmas.

Fact is we didn't have anyone better than the Sedins, and thats not WD fault, but MG and partially JB (and I think JB has done fine so far).

 

And finally do you know that he wasn't offered a decent raise and/or an exercise program for the summer. There seems to be a lot of blame going around for reasons unknown to anyone. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nikita Tryamkin | #88 | D
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...