The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This break up still makes me sad. What could we have done differently? Maybe we shoulda wooed his lady. :unsure:

Of course I'd definitely prefer having him here but the KHL might not be the worst place.

I highly doubt Tryamkin would be playing 22 minutes a game if he started the season with the Canucks. And he might not have had the confidence or "green light" in Vancouver to take the puck end to end for that goal.

Of course, this is all predicated on the idea that he eventually comes back, but the KHL might very well end up being a pretty good "finishing school" for Tryamkin.

The next couple years could see him become a 20+ minutes/game, top-4 D, with excellent stamina/conditioning, great skating, all situations usage, and a complete two-way game.

Just so long as he comes back...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Tryamkin was really starting to assert himself on the ice at the end of last season,his skating and puck handling skills are underrated...Too bad that he has decided to deploy his talents in an inferior league...

well he likely couldn't make that play in the NHL.  Still, very encouraging

23 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Of course I'd definitely prefer having him here but the KHL might not be the worst place.

I highly doubt Tryamkin would be playing 22 minutes a game if he started the season with the Canucks. And he might not have had the confidence or "green light" in Vancouver to take the puck end to end for that goal.

Of course, this is all predicated on the idea that he eventually comes back, but the KHL might very well end up being a pretty good "finishing school" for Tryamkin.

The next couple years could see him become a 20+ minutes/game, top-4 D, with excellent stamina/conditioning, great skating, all situations usage, and a complete two-way game.

Just so long as he comes back...

I want him back to Side but I do not see the KHL being a finishing school for defencemen. I base that on NHL vets who come back and say the d-zone side was lackadaisical. 

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I want him back to Side but I do not see the KHL being a finishing school for defencemen. I base that on NHL vets who come back and say the d-zone side was lackadaisical. 

As a general rule, I agree. The KHL doesn't tend to create NHL quality defenders.

However, in Tryamkin's case, its more about the benefit he could see from playing a high minute, front line role and having to skate miles every night. I think his defensive instincts are already pretty strong, especially when it comes to in zone defensive play. But he needs to build on his stamina/conditioning and munching minutes at a relatively high level should help with this. Also, he needs to put in some work on his transition play, neutral zone defense (positioning and reads), and have some slack given to pursue offense . I do believe the KHL provides opportunities for these things.

But yeah, as a general rule, I wouldn't choose to "finish" the development of D prospects in the KHL. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/6/2017 at 0:56 PM, N7Nucks said:

He was that bad she wanted to leave NA all together? Yikes. This is why I miss Kesler.

Why do you think Kesler forced a trade? :ph34r:

But I doubt it was anything where he had to worry about leaving his wife at home while on the road, or anything similar. Just a young Russian couple away from family and it took its toll.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we've seen the last of Tryamkin. Apparently the Canucks have his rights until 2022. It's assumed he bolted back to Russia because his girlfriend/wife wanted to go back. I can't see this being the reason, for a young player to make an NHL team, potentially making millions in the best league in the world, to give that up so the wife is happier. I think it had more to do with the way Desjardins used him or didn't use him, and playing on a team that was at the bottom of the standings. He knows how good he is and how good he could be. The Canucks felt he needed more developing in Utica.

Now, the Canucks have new coaches, they brought in some good veteran players, they're drafting well and you can already sense the shift. Horvat is at the forefront, Boeser looks like a beauty of a player, Virtanen has improved and looks ready. The Sedins and Edler will be moving on soon, making way for more youth. I'll predict 2 years, the 2019/2020 season, Try will return.

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Chatfield

Brisebois

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think we've seen the last of Tryamkin. Apparently the Canucks have his rights until 2022. It's assumed he bolted back to Russia because his girlfriend/wife wanted to go back. I can't see this being the reason, for a young player to make an NHL team, potentially making millions in the best league in the world, to give that up so the wife is happier. I think it had more to do with the way Desjardins used him or didn't use him, and playing on a team that was at the bottom of the standings. He knows how good he is and how good he could be. The Canucks felt he needed more developing in Utica.

Now, the Canucks have new coaches, they brought in some good veteran players, they're drafting well and you can already sense the shift. Horvat is at the forefront, Boeser looks like a beauty of a player, Virtanen has improved and looks ready. The Sedins and Edler will be moving on soon, making way for more youth. I'll predict 2 years, the 2019/2020 season, Try will return.

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Chatfield

Brisebois

Who knows how Tryamkin will develop in the KHL. I suggest Canuck d depth will bury him in 3 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Who knows how Tryamkin will develop in the KHL. I suggest Canuck d depth will bury him in 3 years.

Seriously?

Hutton had a tough sophomore year. Juolevi has underwhelmed. Chatfield and Brisebois have some promise, but it's early, and still odds are neither becomes a top-4 NHL D-man.

I mean, Tryamkin could plateau/regress, but denying that he showed signs of being something special last year is being almost purposely obtuse. But whatever helps you deal...

• Upvote 1