The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

What i'm most worried about is how he thinks Goldobin should be playing in the NHL because he can score goals...if that's his view of hockey he's sorely mistaken about what NHL hockey is all about. Sure it's nice to score goals but there is so much more to the game than just that. For him to suggest he doesn't know why Goldy gets benched all the time shows me he doesn't fully understand the North American version of the game. Goldy is a great prospect with great offensive talent but if you just float around waiting to score all the time it just makes your teammates work harder on the ice to cover for you, which is selfish. You need to contribute on both ends of the ice to earn respect in this league. Funny thinking about it...but Goldy is very much like Subban, great at offence...defense...what defense? 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

probably one of the major reasons for why BFG left for Russia. more playing time. 

I do agree that Willie was just an odd coach in the sense that he made some really strange line up decisions. I'm excited to see what Green does, and glad that Desjardins is no longer coach of the team. 

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No surprise that Willie was a catalyst for Tryamkin leaving.

Still seems a bit of a cop out given the coach that he seemed to take issue with was...fired.

He had basically a clean slate coming in to this season, with a new coach and all the opportunity in the world to earn a bigger role. I'm not going to start speculating on an attitude/entitlement issue but...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Still seems a bit of a cop out given the coach that he seemed to take issue with was...fired.

Wasn't Willie fired after Tryamkin decided to leave for the KHL?

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He had basically a clean slate coming in to this season, with a new coach and all the opportunity in the world to earn a bigger role. I'm not going to start speculating on an attitude/entitlement issue but...

you're going to speculate.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wasn't Willie fired after Tryamkin decided to leave for the KHL?

I'm not in N.T.'s head, he could have 'decided' in February for all I know. Hell, he could have decided in October when the team insisted he actually get in NHL shape. But WD was fired almost a month before he signed in the K.

5 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

What i'm most worried about is how he thinks Goldobin should be playing in the NHL because he can score goals...if that's his view of hockey he's sorely mistaken about what NHL hockey is all about. Sure it's nice to score goals but there is so much more to the game than just that. For him to suggest he doesn't know why Goldy gets benched all the time shows me he doesn't fully understand the North American version of the game. Goldy is a great prospect with great offensive talent but if you just float around waiting to score all the time it just makes your teammates work harder on the ice to cover for you, which is selfish. You need to contribute on both ends of the ice to earn respect in this league. Funny thinking about it...but Goldy is very much like Subban, great at offence...defense...what defense? 

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's his view. He uses  specific examples, Goldy scoring in his first game and getting bench, that isn't NHL hockey, that's just outright stupid, there is no logic. Goldy's effective when he scores, and if he's getting benched right when he does that, what's the point?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It seems to me that a lot of Russian players have this same mindset.  

44 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's his view. He uses  specific examples, Goldy scoring in his first game and getting bench, that isn't NHL hockey, that's just outright stupid, there is no logic. Goldy's effective when he scores, and if he's getting benched right when he does that, what's the point?

I remember I did something similar to Goldy and the coach came down to me on the bench and said you're lucky you scored or you'd be spending the rest of the game on the bench. According WD it doesn't matter if you score if you choose offense over defense you sit on the bench. I get 100% what Tryamkin is saying too. Everyone, here, thought he deserved more ice time. it didn't make sense, as he says, for him to be seeing LESS ice time with more injuries. He was good enough and on a bad enough team to get more ice time. Just all around bad coaching. It wasn't like he was making blatantly stupid plays out there.

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

This seems more of his message when he left.

He had no idea why he was playing or it playing.  He would have a good game and the. Get scratched.  He went further to talk about the same thing with Goldobin.

I don't know many of us that didn't have the same issues with WD.  He had a plan and made decisions about players and deployment and didn't change it regardless of how badly it was working.

Megna in the PP, sure give it a whirl.  Doesn't score in a dozen games... maybe change it?  Nope.

Larsen is a terrible D?  Play him anyways.  Guddy and Hutton not working?  Keep them together.  Tryamkin comes in and is a better D than a few guys getting minutes, sit him for periods and games.

This may be part of why he was fired.

Other players this season have talked about how there is no grey area with Green and how he tell them exactly what he expects.  That is clearly "subtle" way of contrasting it with the previous regime otherwise it could ha e been left unsaid.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

This seems more of his message when he left.

He had no idea why he was playing or it playing.  He would have a good game and the. Get scratched.  He went further to talk about the same thing with Goldobin.

I don't know many of us that didn't have the same issues with WD.  He had a plan and made decisions about players and deployment and didn't change it regardless of how badly it was working.

Megna in the PP, sure give it a whirl.  Doesn't score in a dozen games... maybe change it?  Nope.

Larsen is a terrible D?  Play him anyways.  Guddy and Hutton not working?  Keep them together.  Tryamkin comes in and is a better D than a few guys getting minutes, sit him for periods and games.

This may be part of why he was fired.

Desjardins is the worst coach we have ever had! And that includes Jack LaForge...never have I seen such a disgusting example of 'coaching' at the NHL level. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

That's a good point to bring up, but I remember his goals he scored last year. They were nice but came at the expense of playing a team game and a team system. That's why I have trouble with what Nikita said. Of course not all his goals last year were because of his lack of team play, but there were quite a few instances during his short stint last season where he provided spark a certain points during the game then floated around blowing assignments for the rest looking to cheat on a play and get a quick goal. I thinks that's more why Willie would bench him...maybe he gets too excited when he scores a goal lol?? Of course this is just my point of view, and I do see your logic as well. 

Cheers

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

It seems to me that a lot of Russian players have this same mindset.  

I hate to say it's true because there are so many good Russians playing in the NHL and it's not fair to them...but it does have validation. Lots of players from different nationalities do the same thing if they don't get what they're seeking for in the NHL, but it's not maybe as frequent as how many times it happens with Russian players. Perhaps it's because Russians know they have the KHL which by all accounts is the next best league in the world with the next best pay for a professional.

I think he should have got more playing time as he was starting to become a top 4 D man for us

I do not blame the guy if he wanted to be closer to home and got treated bad by the coach which we all saw

He may have a change of heart soon watching this team get more youth and we all hope way better

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

Desjardins is the worst coach we have ever had! And that includes Jack LaForge...never have I seen such a disgusting example of 'coaching' at the NHL level. 

I've never been so frustrated with lineups & deployment. If you concentrated hard(like playing a chess GM) to think of the worst possible combos, Whack-a-Willie would have them planned out promptly. 3 yr nightmare.

• Upvote 3