The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

52 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think there's some sort of fantasy with Tryamkin just because he's the biggest player that's ever been on the Canucks and it can be fun to have a guy that big on the team. That said, I think Tryamkin would be a very far thing from a guaranteed NHL player at this point. Far as I know, he's an average KHL player and is probably already starting his prime at 27 years old right now. If I were to bet, I'd say he's probably a #7 at best unless he's one of those guys who randomly levels up at the NHL level.

I don't have an issue exploring him as a depth option, but I would much prefer it if he was willing to play in Abbotsford if he didn't make the big team.

I honestly find it beyond fascinating how long some people have been holding on to hope for Tryamkin and the only reason I can think for the fanaticism is his large size. I gave up on him as an NHLer about five years ago and it would be as silly as hoping that Hunter Shinkaruk returns to the Canucks and becomes a speedy sniper on our team.

Totally agree AJ.  When he came to the Canucks the first time, he still had a chance to develop into an NHL player.  He was 21 when he came over to finish the 2015-16 season.  The following season, he played 66 games as a 22 year old and put up 9 points at a -7.

At that point, he had some work to do but there's more to it than just what happens on the ice.  I assume there was a bit of a culture clash and possible difficulty with English for him and his new wife.  And don't forget, she was a professional who's credentials likely weren't recognized in Canada so she would have had to re-qualify in a second language.  At any rate, when he left and re-signed in Russia for 2 years, I knew he would never develop into an NHL player.  It's too bad.  I really enjoyed having him on the team.

There's no telling what kind of a player he may have turned out to be.  He's not the only one who couldn't make the transition to a different culture.  I think there are plenty of Canadians who try to play in Russia and only end up going for a year.

• Upvote 1

I’m re- posting this ….

Wanted to share this here,.   Will probably not amount to much..  and not reading much into it,

but .. it does add to the recent Rumour @Googlie has shared.

considering I have only sent 3 or 4 comments to NK over the past 4 years in recognition of what he posts on IG,.   
I am happily surprised that he “liked” my comment on the birth of his second child..

in it, I implied a little more about the possibility of coming back to Vancouver.

it’s the first time I’ve received any acknowledgment of any comment to him.

just thought I’d share,  it did raise my eyebrow.

435A71AD-19D4-4B25-9B46-DEA518683A10.thumb.jpeg.e76bb847671cd9bcd2fe349e8e78a917.jpeg

•  

Niks profile pic has never changed from that St Patrick’s Canucks Jersey,  and has constantly, even recently kept active on Social Media with Canuck players.

Including Podz.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't Tryamkin a UFA at the end of June, as in the Canucks don't own his rights any longer?  He may very well come back to the NHL, it just may not be with the Canucks...

Of course. 

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I don’t think it was Willie’s fault that he came to camp nowhere near NHL shape and essentially needed a extended training camp to get in shape. 
Heck, watch the videos of Bo pushing him up the grind
He was young and freshly married so maybe it was an age and time of life thing but he was seriously lacking professionalism when here. 

That was Brendan Gaunce doing the pushing/pulling and it was the prospect's orientation camp. How about giving the kid (at the time) a get out of jail card?  Never been to North America (other than attending the draft, a trip that was extended into the prospect's orientation camp) and having zero clue about what was expected.  Willie was great for Bo Horvat, but terrible for Tryamkin.  He wanted Tryamkin to be a truculent force.  And apparently, never spoke to the kid.  So glad that twitchy Willie lasted only a couple of seasons.  He may have been the worst Canucks coach since Bill Laforge.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

That was Brendan Gaunce doing the pushing/pulling and it was the prospect's orientation camp. How about giving the kid (at the time) a get out of jail card?  Never been to North America (other than attending the draft, a trip that was extended into the prospect's orientation camp) and having zero clue about what was expected.  Willie was great for Bo Horvat, but terrible for Tryamkin.  He wanted Tryamkin to be a truculent force.  And apparently, never spoke to the kid.  So glad that twitchy Willie lasted only a couple of seasons.  He may have been the worst Canucks coach since Bill Laforge.

I hope he has matured as stated above numerous times. 
But, what he showed when here was a kid who came in out of shape and left crapping all over the city. He was an okay as a rookie, plenty to build on.
I am all for giving him a chance and have said that repeatedly.
My point is he has not earned a multi-year multi-million dollar deal.  
I would be thrilled to have him on a show me deal. I think he is too entitled to take it but I hope he does and comes in and is amazing. 
Just preaching caution  with the cap as we try to recover from horrible management.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/26/2022 at 2:01 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

With all of Rutherford's and Allvin's talk about the importance of going after unsigned Europeans and leaving no stones unturned in finding ways to improve the team, is anyone else surprised that there has been absolutely no indication of them taking another look at Tryamkin?  I definitely am.  Especially since the chances of him wanting to come back would seem better with him the new management and coaching staffs, as well as seeing that we're more than willing to give Russian players (i.e., Podkolzin) a fair chance to play.

I'm not surprised at all. The ship has sailed. He wasted to much time toiling away in Russia. There is no way he can catch up on all the time lost. He was horribly out of shape at 22, which is kind of a joke in itself, but now 5 years later how much worse will he be now? Combine that with the fact he is too good/entitled to work on his conditioning in the AHL and you have a non-starter.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:56 AM, DrJockitch said:

What evidence shows you that?  He was out of shape and barely third pair when here. He hasn’t exactly torn up the KHL since then either. 
It is a big assumption that he can even be a regular NHL depth defence man if we take off the homer glasses, it has never been an expectation that he has near the talent as a first pair guy. 

On a deal with term wouldn’t give him more than 1.5. Needs to show that he can be an NHL defence man.  Poolman earned his contract by playing as a NHL regular, his agent earned it by finding a bad GM to overvalue him. Tryamkin can’t do either of those things. 

There is none. It's pure delusion. He was barely good enough to make our absolutely horrible defence 5 years ago as a fringe 5/6/extra. If he wanted to play in the NHL he needed to keep getting better and keep playing and learning his trade in the NHL like any normal rookie. Not sipping Vodka and getting fat in Russia playing subpar hockey. He would need to go in and prove himself on limited minutes and healthy scratches for a year or two like he should have done in the beginning. He doesn't have a sliver of the drive or sacrifice required to do so now. Really he never did. :bored:

• Cheers 1

Well I tend too think he's likely fired his bolt and is now to slow for todays game. But my God he put the fear of God on wingers trying to down the left side, he crushed them. I recall Jamie Benn taking exception to him flattending two of his team mates and dropped the gloves, I admire your courage Jamie but it was a bad mistake.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Well I tend too think he's likely fired his bolt and is now to slow for todays game. But my God he put the fear of God on wingers trying to down the left side, he crushed them. I recall Jamie Benn taking exception to him flattending two of his team mates and dropped the gloves, I admire your courage Jamie but it was a bad mistake.

He’s been doing well on a poor team, @Hairy Kneelhas watched him more than I have.  But he hasn’t lost his step.

Coached under Bill Peters 2 years ago , Niks ice time averages out around the 22 min point.

was getting a lot of pk time.

still plays a physical game, fleet footed, quick to shut down a cycle.

he would blossom quickly under Boudreau im sure. I think he is getting tired of the KHL, and perhaps realizing “home” may not be the best place to stay given the War and how it might effect the KHL. 

Feb 2021

• Thanks 2

I think if he is to leave he would do so discreetly, given today's volatile pol climate. It'd be close to a escape status, I think there was a cap of 10,000$ anyone could leave with. 

He's fast as ever. He outgrew his chubby phase. Many NHL'ers left so he may want to follow suit. His goalie bought himself out the previous year so Diamond may consider that. 

It's time to lose those old out of shape narratives, catch up.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If he attended a camp and showed promise then the Canucks can consider signing him. Considering the CAP and the existing contracts with the d-core I am not optimistic that will happen.

He’ll have UFA status, and there will be enough teams interested that he’d be guaranteed to get signed before having to set foot in a training camp. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

He’ll have UFA status, and there will be enough teams interested that he’d be guaranteed to get signed before having to set foot in a training camp. 

As long as it's not with us I'd love to watch him get embarrassed on the ice and then pull the entitlement card on some other team.

19 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Considering he still follows the Canucks and his FaceBook/ Instagram profiles have him in a Canuck Jersey,  I think there would be a tendency to return to a team where friendships have been established, and with a Coach that a fellow Russian Player enjoys playing for.

I’m sure it’s a bigger opportunity for him to leave his home country that is going to be a mess for several years to come.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 10:20 AM, SilentSam said:

Considering he still follows the Canucks and his FaceBook/ Instagram profiles have him in a Canuck Jersey,  I think there would be a tendency to return to a team where friendships have been established, and with a Coach that a fellow Russian Player enjoys playing for.

I’m sure it’s a bigger opportunity for him to leave his home country that is going to be a mess for several years to come.

Don't we have his rights this coming season?

On 5/28/2022 at 9:54 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I think if he is to leave he would do so discreetly, given today's volatile pol climate. It'd be close to a escape status, I think there was a cap of 10,000$ anyone could leave with. 

He's fast as ever. He outgrew his chubby phase. Many NHL'ers left so he may want to follow suit. His goalie bought himself out the previous year so Diamond may consider that. 

It's time to lose those old out of shape narratives, catch up.

This would be great for us (Likely for him too).  I still find it weird the continuous narrative about being out of shape and slow.  He was always a fairly quick skater and he wasn't projected for top pair mins.  He held up just fine and would likely have improved here like he did in the KHL.  I also have no idea where the entitled narrative comes from.  I bet many of us would have done the same thing as him in the situation.

Either way, Tryamkin would bring exactly what we need to the D core.  I would have no problems giving him a 2-3 year contract for stability and then seek another strong stay at home RD.  I will always hold out hope that he will return unless I see him join another NHL club.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1