The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Kessel to the Rangers

Heretic

NYR have very little cap space

Kessel is $8M until the year 2022

Krieder is $2.75M and is RFA in 2017

TOR would have to eat a $5M Cap hit until 2022 for this to work

Technically they can only eat 50% max of his cap hit ($4M) and whatever the amount is would be for the duration of his contract, but your point is still correct that this source is likely talking out of their ass since the Rangers' cap space wouldn't make it feasible.

Trade logic aside as 8m Kessel to the Rangers is highly complicated, it sort of makes sense, Rangers always had a great d system but not enough offensive. Kessel adds a pure offensive force to their front end especially since Marty St. Louis is likely retiring this year.

Nash - Stepan/Brassard - Kessel seems like a pretty good 1rst line.

That said, Toronto paid a stupid price for Kessel - 2 firsts and a second... I wouldn't go near him and his 8m cap hit at that price

This rumour made zero sense until I read that. Or else how would they make room going forward? But if TO was eating some cap, then Kessel would just replace St. Louis, contract-wise.

Is Marty retiring though? Haven't heard anything about it. (And the rumour still doesn't make a lot of sense, but at least it's conceivable if he is.)

Predicted the Dallas Stars, about a month ago.

Leafs send: Kessel & Bernier.

Lehtonen & Hemsky, 2015 1st, & a couple decent prospects(don't know much about big D's youth...maybe Nichushkin?)

Not a huge spotlight market. Allows Dallas to dump 2 underperforming contracts; no embarrassment of retaining salary for TO.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. If I knew a guy was capable of going 50/50 on a fast break if as soon as he got the puck into the O zone I'd say float all you want. Stick him with two defensively responsible players and let him go to town. But then again, I guess it depends on if he's legitimately lazy or if that word has become synonymous with players that float and/or have the one dimensional label. I'd consider guys like Ovechkin, Kane and Carter floaters, but that doesn't mean they aren't participating in the play. They're actively finding open spots on the ice from which they can explode out of.

I think Shinkaruk is going to become that type of player for us, in the good sense.

No, Kessel is lazy because he's lazy. No other player in the league gets ripped as much as he does for being out of out of shape. I'm pretty sure every player you named considers skating more than "around ten times all summer" part of their offseason training.

I don't think Rangers can afford to give up pieces for Kessel.

Kessel has a ridiculous contract 8 mill per UNTIL 2022... Let that sink in. Not only that, if they were to trade away their young prospects and another 1st rounder in 2016, they're future would be looking rather thin. They need to think about the future with Kessel. That contract has term, not to mention losing close to NHL ready prospects and picks would diminish their already rather weak prospect crop.

It could work in DAL

Kessel -$8m til 2022

for

Horcoff - $5.5M , UFA next season

Hemsky - $4M for 2 yrs after this season

Nichushkin - 1 more yr at $0.925M then RFA, no threat to go to KHL anymore, extremely high end prospect

Dump Kessel and get Nichushkin and Hemsky and clear $4M in cap

It could work in DAL

Kessel -$8m til 2022

for

Horcoff - $5.5M , UFA next season

Hemsky - $4M for 2 yrs after this season

Nichushkin - 1 more yr at $0.925M then RFA, no threat to go to KHL anymore, extremely high end prospect

Dump Kessel and get Nichushkin and Hemsky and clear $4M in cap

i think they want a hockey trade and not a cap dump. Nich,1st would be starting price

The question isnt can Dallas fo this. That question is why would Dallas do this. The stars have young quality forwards. Their forward group is set for a long time Especially with Nichuskin.

What they need is quality defenseman.

Acquiring kessel does not meet the stars needs now or in the future.

As much as they might want to trade Kessel. It would have to be a pretty insane return to eat $4 million a season for years.

I don't think Kessel will provide an insane return.

I can see New Jersey maybe taking him, only because they have no depth, and few players under 30 that are producing.

But I can't see New Jersey offering a 1st rounder for him, as he's a complimentary player, not a player you build around.

Explain that statement, if you don't mind.

All Star sniper with generational speed for Unproven top 6er hell he's still an unproven Top 9er, Duclair who might be a top six guy, a 1st in next year draft which will be around 26-30. Considering the Leafs have problems developing most of their prospects and the fact Duclair is raw and Kreider still is unproven they might just ruin these players.

Sure Kessel can't play defense but that can be taught. His skill and speed cannot be taught. Constantly scoring 30+ goals without a first line center, no playmaker is realty great. With Stepan he can get 40+ easy.

Archived