The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

I’m just happy that no team can come in and offersheet Brock as he has only played two full seasons and the same will apply to Gaudette and Hughes when their ELCs expire. One of the perks of that late in the season contract signing from College to the bigs. We can get a deal done without any vulture GMs meddling in the process. That and he doesn’t have arbitration rights. I would be good with a 8X8 because by the time halfway through the deal when Brock is scoring 40-50 goals a season, that deal will then be a steal.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Going to be hard to get one done with the way things are shaping out as a whole for the RFA market.  Today Chuck Fletcher the GM of the Flyers basically said its a waiting game because all the GM's are looking at each other wanting to see who sets the market for the RFA's.

No one wants to set the precedent because they want to be able to sign players to much more friendlier contracts for the team. 

I think its going to take some time for the whole market in general

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Going to be hard to get one done with the way things are shaping out as a whole for the RFA market.  Today Chuck Fletcher the GM of the Flyers basically said its a waiting game because all the GM's are looking at each other wanting to see who sets the market for the RFA's.

No one wants to set the precedent because they want to be able to sign players to much more friendlier contracts for the team. 

I think its going to take some time for the whole market in general

I am hoping that with Auston Matthews already extended, other players should look at him as a bench mark. I am hoping we can get Brock for 6 years at $7.5 per. But 2 years down the road when we have both EP and Hughes to sign, that year would be a major year. And I really don’t want Lucic and his bad contract here for this very reason.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seems there are 2 ways to go for the Canucks.  Give him a contract that ends before his last year of RFA, or sign him for as many years as they can.   They likely pay +6.5m per year and then renegotiate in his final year of RFA.

We all see Brock as a minimum 30g scorer and possibly +40 within a few years.  Usually for a long term contract, the early years $ is high for the value, but later years of the contract end up being a bit lower $ for value.  Overall, it works out to be a good contract for the team if the player's top end proves to be true to the projection.

Given Brock's character and determination to improve his game, I can see JB going for a 7/8yr term.  If Brock wants to continue being a Canuck, he will likely agree to a longer term contract; given the $ is right for him.  Probably be +$7.5m for +/- 7/8 term and a signing bonus.

I personally expect Brock to have a breakout year in 2019/2020 and come back to the level of play of his rookie year.

He was seriously handicapped in 2018 by his need to recover from his injury.  The first 3 months of the season he was basically skating in glue due to his inability to train in the summer and the fact his mechanics, stride and rhythym was gone.  He also lacked confidence in his shooting and was obviously gunshy about being physical.

I would not be surprised at all to see him hit 40 goals and 80 points in 19/20.

Expectations versus track record are likely the problem with the negotiations between Jim and Brock...  Jim is probably making an offer based on Brock's two year average production, and Brock wants to be paid on his potential.

• Upvote 1