The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack Kassian

AriGold

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think there is next to no chance Benning claims him.

And I think this is a strategic timing move by a Montreal team that wants to keep him.

I personally would like this guy - if healthy - back in our lineup.

Say what you want, but those games - like the one in Anaheim - where this team got pushed around without a whimper from our 'pushback' guys - would never have taken place with Kassian around. No question about that - Zack never failed to stand up for his team-mates - you simply have to give the young man that.  He didn't command the top six role people expected of him, but at the same time, his game was nowhere near as bad as some haters (yeah the term applies in this case) here suggested.   His underlying numbers were respectable, his production relative to situational use was fine - his game wasn't entirely consistent - not unlike guys like Vey and Baertschi in the same age range - but he was easily as visible as them and when it came to providing nuclear deterrence, it was nice to finally have that in our lineup, particularly in a form that can actually play a skilled bottom six role.

I wish him the best regardless of where he lands.  If Benning did elect to give him a second chance here, I'd be 100% in support of that decision. If it didn't work out - well, there are certainly lots of lesser talents without a fraction of the grit playing in the NHL. 

Since Vancouver is into a major re-build the influx of younger players will continue. The issue is where Kassian's head is? He could be a reformed guy who now can focus on his game and work back from that. The down side risk is that he continues to have problems and ends up not only skidding into oblivion but also takes some other youngsters with him. My gut tells me that Benning will not take the risk.

A interesting comparison between Kassian and Virtanen is their respective physical strengths. Virtanen looks strong in all aspects whereas Kassian had a lot of trouble maintaining balance.    

One underlying current of these kinds of discussions that never fails to annoy me is the suggestion that someone with a substance use problem by implication lacks "character".

There have been countless high character people who nevertheless struggled with substance abuse.

Some folks here going off as if he never deserves another chance should hope they never find themselves needing one.

Someone pointed out earlier in this thread an important correction - the difference between attitude problems and behavioral problems.  Zack does not appear to have an 'attitude' problem - my impression was precisely the opposite.  He handled the public criticism exceptionally well, he had the difficult task of dealing with the highly ignorant Vancouver media microscope, he always accepted coaching decisions in stride (and was here through a revolving door of coaches/systems.)

He's still only 24 years old.  He could have a great NHL career ahead of him - or not - but most of us who were around in the 1970s and 80s  realize that had Zack been an NHLer in those times, he would have flown right under the radar and fit right in.  The bar has risen - and that's probably a good thing for everyone involved - but let's not pretend to be in a position to pass judgement on the young man.

13 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

The only thing Benning and Linden have been consistent about, and delivered upon, is that character would be a focal point for the Canucks under their leadership.

I don't think they'll want anything to do with this.

Some of the strongest people that I know have come out of an addiction. It's living through Diversity that builds character. 

Edit: what Oldnews said

This thread right here shows CD's complete insanity.  How many chances does a guy get ? There are plenty of players willing to stay clean and honor their teammates by coming to work clear headed and ready to battle opponents not an addiction. He needs loads more help.

He has been given every opportunity to succeed, he has literally pissed those chances away. I supported Kass and wanted him to find his inner player. Realize the trade for what it is CDC.  We dodged a huge bullet, actually got something in return(even if it was a brick on skates, sorry Prusty) and People here still think it would be a good idea to bring Kass back ?

What ever it is that you people are smoking please send me some.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

One underlying current of these kinds of discussions that never fails to annoy me is the suggestion that someone with a substance use problem by implication lacks "character".

There have been countless high character people who nevertheless struggled with substance abuse.

Some folks here going off as if he never deserves another chance should hope they never find themselves needing one.

Someone pointed out earlier in this thread an important correction - the difference between attitude problems and behavioral problems.  Zack does not appear to have an 'attitude' problem - my impression was precisely the opposite.  He handled the public criticism exceptionally well, he had the difficult task of dealing with the highly ignorant Vancouver media microscope, he always accepted coaching decisions in stride (and was here through a revolving door of coaches/systems.)

He's still only 24 years old.  He could have a great NHL career ahead of him - or not - but most of us who were around in the 1970s and 80s  realize that had Zack been an NHLer in those times, he would have flown right under the radar and fit right in.  The bar has risen - and that's probably a good thing for everyone involved - but let's not pretend to be in a position to pass judgement on the young man.

+1. I think going through the substance abuse program helped Kass mature as a person as well. I would not have a problem with bringing him back. 

I think it is worth the gamble.  

If the time off to ponder his actions, as well as a second chance given to develop his career, doesnt jump start him I do not know what will.

The guy has a higher upside than most players on the current roster.  He provides intangibles that are hard to come by - a high skill set coupled with toughness. This team gets humiliated by the bigger tougher teams, he is a deterrent that can actually play.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

What do you think the NHL is? A charity? He has frittered away opportunities on more than one occasion. Should we and the NHL just feel sorry for him and his poor life choices and keep giving him chances? I hope he is able to get his life back on track but his NHL career should be over.

go back to mexico ron  no one cares for your opinion 

22 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

The only thing Benning and Linden have been consistent about, and delivered upon, is that character would be a focal point for the Canucks under their leadership.

That's nonsense in two ways - and that's not the only thing they've been consistent about and delivered on.

25 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Character (whatever that means these days) doesn't win you a Stanley Cup. An upstanding, honest, and clean young man can still be shoulder checked right into the boards.

The Bruins won in 2011, and they didn't do it with character.

I'd be very surprised if the Canucks put a claim in - my guess would be that they wouldn't - but at the same time, I'd be impressed if they did, and I think it would send an interesting message to Kassian.

Benning has done some things people have not expected - let's give him some credit here - he waived Vey to make room for McCann, somethingvery few people thought he'd do to "his guy".  He moved Bonino after having acquired him - when people thought he'd simply be clearing out 'Gillis' assets.

If he doesn't wind up here (which is highly unlikely) - I hope he remains in Montreal - I like the Habs and would love to see him tear it up for them - after all, they are the team that gave up an asset and took a chance on him.   Van or Montreal please.  If a team like Edmonton or Toronto swipes him I'm gonna puke.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Character (whatever that means these days) doesn't win you a Stanley Cup. An upstanding, honest, and clean young man can still be shoulder checked right into the boards.

The Bruins won in 2011, and they didn't do it with character.

How about patrick kane? beating up cab drivers and getting implicated in all sorts of crap off of the ice. How many would turn him down if he was a UFA and he wanted to come here?

Look at Craig McTavish's past before he joined the oilers.

A little more recently and little closer to home, didnt Gino have some drinking issues?  The guy is a legend, and I would love a modern day Gino on the team today.

Kassian may end up being a nobody that blew up all of his chances, but he has enough potential to be worth the risk

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

How about patrick kane? beating up cab drivers and getting implicated in all sorts of crap off of the ice. How many would turn him down if he was a UFA and he wanted to come here?

A little more recently and little closer to home, didnt Gino have some drinking issues?  The guy is a legend, and I would love a modern day Gino on the team today.

Kassian may end up being a nobody that blew up all of his chances, but he has enough potential to be worth the risk

Good points, Darius. This fetish that some fans have for "character" players is annoying. Nobody's perfect.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd be very surprised if the Canucks put a claim in - my guess would be that they wouldn't - but at the same time, I'd be impressed if they did, and I think it would send an interesting message to Kassian.

Benning has done some things people have not expected - let's give him some credit here - he waived Vey to make room for McCann, somethingvery few people thought he'd do to "his guy".  He moved Bonino after having acquired him - when people thought he'd simply be clearing out 'Gillis' assets.

If he doesn't wind up here (which is highly unlikely) - I hope he remains in Montreal - I like the Habs and would love to see him tear it up for them - after all, they are the team that gave up an asset and took a chance on him.   Van or Montreal please.  If a team like Edmonton or Toronto swipes him I'm gonna puke.

Me too. You can add the Flames to the puke worthy list.

9 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I really like the disscussion on the board here.We do need some help an none seems to be evident inhouse with all the sparkly players JB has at this moment .May some charactor an liven up the boards again would suite me just fine

Archived