The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's going to be very interesting when we get a game where Stecher plays against true NHL level defensive zone coverage (which we didn't really see from that Oilers squad last game).

If he's in that type of game environment and can still create time and space and find lanes for open looks, then look out. If Stecher can keep rolling, and Larsen doesn't up his performance dramatically in his next couple outings, I don't think the coaches or management will be facing a tough decision at all.

Still lots of hockey to play however. And every player can have good and bad nights. But the Larsen vs. Stecher decision is quickly becoming one of the more fascinating "games within the game" during this exhibition season.

But, wasn't that McJesus on the ice?

54 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

But, wasn't that McJesus on the ice?

Oilers iced a pretty decent line up last night, no? 

I think people are too focused on Subban vs. Stetcher. I think it's more along the lines of Larsen vs Stetcher. 

Stetcher, if he can continue his performance, is moving on up on Larsen. Larsen can't take any night off, cause Stetcher is coming for his position. If Larsen is outplayed by Stetcher, I agree that I don't think it becomes a hard decision. Losing Larsen wouldn't hurt the club too much, and can probably waive him. Not sure if any other NHL club will take him up, considering that other clubs might have similar players within their organizations. 

Biega, in my opinion, is the odd man out. He's older, a journeyman. Pedan will make the roster, unless he falls off the map. 

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

One of if not the biggest hole that needs filling is a PMD/PPQB.  Willie citing Tanev is okay if he's improved his shot, but he is still a defensive d-man and not ideal for that role, if even more effective than he has been.  Hutton is otherwise the main candidate we have along with Edler (when he's on), which is likely why they've been talking about going with 4 forwards.  Stecher can change all that.  Will see how he does as the games approach the regular season, but so far he's shown himself capable in both ends.  Utica is still an option, but he can certainly continue to develop here and it may well be in the team's best interests anyway, both short and long term.

Combine all Stecher's positives with his age at 22. He is mature and given that Larsen is 26/27 it might come down to investing the TOI in a younger player of the evaluations are anywhere close. I sure did not see this coming.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Stecher looked really good last night but I have a hard time thinking that WD will have him on the team this year as he is very cautious with the young guys. I think Stecher will have a great year in Utica under Green and hopefully compete for a spot in the NHL next season!

Hutton says hi!

Was at the game last night, and when I entered the arena, I wasn't a Troy Stecher fan at all (Burnaby Minor versus Richmond Minor and all that). This may sound crazy, but by the time I left, I've never been so pumped after watching a player in a meaningless pre-season game. I kept telling my kids that I would pay to watch him play. He was easily the most noticeable player on the ice not named McDavid. The way he anticipated the plays were amazing. In all my time playing sports, there was only one time when for whatever reason, everything seemed like the whole game moved in slow motion and for a span of 10 minutes, I seemed to be 2 steps ahead of my opponents - I guess that's what it meant to be "in the zone". Stecher was clearly in the zone last night. Needless to say, I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't make the team.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Stecher looked real good.

Got me to thinking after the game that he seems to play a Juolevi type game. I realize it's only one game, but if Stecher continues progressing, in hindsight, had JB known what he might have in Stecher,  would he still have drafted Juolevi instead of one of the skilled forwards available?

Only time will tell with Juolevi/Tkachuk and Stecher (it's still really early) but I have a feeling Juolevi will still be the better choice over Tkachuk in 10 years time.

• Upvote 1

Difficult to compare him to the rest of the defencemen so far because Stecher was playing with Edler for the most part, and in prime PP time as well, but compared to Larsen I like what I see so far and would be happy to slot Stecher in at the #6 spot. We need to get Sbisa back and see how those two complement each other's game first though.

I'd love to start the season with this:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher

Larsen

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Was at the game last night, and when I entered the arena, I wasn't a Troy Stecher fan at all (Burnaby Minor versus Richmond Minor and all that). This may sound crazy, but by the time I left, I've never been so pumped after watching a player in a meaningless pre-season game. I kept telling my kids that I would pay to watch him play. He was easily the most noticeable player on the ice not named McDavid. The way he anticipated the plays were amazing. In all my time playing sports, there was only one time when for whatever reason, everything seemed like the whole game moved in slow motion and for a span of 10 minutes, I seemed to be 2 steps ahead of my opponents - I guess that's what it meant to be "in the zone". Stecher was clearly in the zone last night. Needless to say, I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't make the team.

Another thing is his quick decision-making.  Button (I think) also pointed it out today, in that he doesn't hold the puck, think what to do, then act.  The puck is on then off his stick almost immediately, which not only results in quick puck movement but prevents him from being lined up and hammered.  The ability and confidence to play that way as a rookie is quite remarkable.

• Upvote 1

Let's not get too high in him quite yet.  I agree with everything that was said, but the sample size has been small, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was sent down just to get a year under his belt, and a ton of confidence ripping apart Utica opponents. 

I am very hopeful for him though.  As others have said, his hockey IQ is off the charts and his decision making is instant.  That's not common in a rookie defenceman. 

43 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Another thing is his quick decision-making.  Button (I think) also pointed it out today, in that he doesn't hold the puck, think what to do, then act.  The puck is on then off his stick almost immediately, which not only results in quick puck movement but prevents him from being lined up and hammered.  The ability and confidence to play that way as a rookie is quite remarkable.

There was only one play where he screwed up, and it was all because he hesitated. If I remember correctly, it went as follows. Troy had picked-up a loose puck from behind his goalie and he was being chased hard by an Oiler. Maybe there was nobody to pass it to, but instead of just skating fast and getting the puck out of his zone, he tried to stickhandle and the puck was quickly poked from behind by the longer Oiler (everybody was larger than him). The Oiler then wisely used his size advantage and stole the puck. Troy was a bit out of position as he was closer to the boards. When the Oiler turned towards the net, Stecher was essentially out of the play and it resulted in a goal for Edmonton. But kudos to him because after that goof-up, Stecher continued to play smart and kept making plays for his team.

If stetcher keeps this level of play throughout pre season then you have to think that management will make room for him. Since benning took over he always said " if a player deserves a roster spot then we will make room for him"  Watching willy d's post game he mentioned how stetcher was a guy that the regular roster was pulling for just cause the way he goes out on and off the ice. I get the sense and its prob obvious, management is building this team from the net out. By drafting joulevi solidified that. This organization has been hitting homeruns when its comes to goaltending. Markstrom will eventually take over while demko develops and then we have guys like joulevi,stetcher,tryamkin,pedan,subban,olsen etc coming up the ranks. This is prob the season where benning and linden will start getting credit for what thr trying to build.