The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

6 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

From Ben Kuzma after the game yesterday vs LA:

“He has played well lately and is one of the reasons we’ve been able to turn it around a little bit,” said Canucks coach Willie Desjardins. “He and (Nikita) Tryamkin have made a difference. And for Gaunce, that’s a big role but he’s a big and heavy guy and skates well and really pays attention to detail. He’s been a real good surprise and when I see him now, I think he has taken another step.”

You have to say that Gaunces improvement has in part been due to his confidence. I think he knows he can make a mistake and not be on the midnight flight to Utica .... again. I'd like to think that Pedan would might benefit from some of this Willy love and maybe get his mojo working. Willy seems selective in who he favours and those he doesn't

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You have to say that Gaunces improvement has in part been due to his confidence. I think he knows he can make a mistake and not be on the midnight flight to Utica .... again. I'd like to think that Pedan would might benefit from some of this Willy love and maybe get his mojo working. Willy seems selective in who he favours and those he doesn't

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Favoritism or caution? IMHO Gaunce and Pedan will be Canucks next year. Pedan less certain but I hope he gets a real shot. If nothing else WD likes to work these players in slowly, always leaving them wanting more. No point in having them afraid of making mistakes. My hope is that they are getting a lot of off ice coaching by video and in practice. It is all a lot to take in for rookies.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see him on the team next year, but with one more year of waivers exemption and a lot of forwards already in play it'll be up to Gaunce at camp to really show he's a better option than the others. Pedan is waivers eligible so will likely be up since I don't think he'd clear.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:52 AM, Stierlitz said:

From Ben Kuzma after the game yesterday vs LA:

“He has played well lately and is one of the reasons we’ve been able to turn it around a little bit,” said Canucks coach Willie Desjardins. “He and (Nikita) Tryamkin have made a difference. And for Gaunce, that’s a big role but he’s a big and heavy guy and skates well and really pays attention to detail. He’s been a real good surprise and when I see him now, I think he has taken another step.”

Thank you for mentioning Gaunce's skating, as for so long his skating was mentioned at one of his weaknesses, and from what I have seen the past 2 games, it has become a strengths.

IMO, right from his draft year, his knock has been skating, where his IQ, size, and team play has always been a strength..............Personally, I like Gaunce, and see his upside as a strong third liner.

I hope he continues to develop.........he will start the year on the Canucks next year, unless the numbers game gets him.

40 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Way to go gunche

I think it was a really good thing for him to get part of the season up here. Now, he can get through playoffs in Utica and then have the summer to train, knowing what it will really take to stick in the NHL next season.

I think next year, he's full time part of this team!

• 1 month later...

I like the way he gets in on the forecheck and retrieves the puck, IMO the strongest asset of his game last year. His board play was also strong for a rook, looking forward to seeing him on the 4th line next year. Hopefully he can improve his skating and go from there. 

• Upvote 3

I once had high hopes for Gaunce; looks like he'll make the NHL, but any offense we hoped from him likely won't appear. Still, if he can play a shutdown 4LW role, and maybe chip in on occasion, that's all you can hope for.

16 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

I once had high hopes for Gaunce; looks like he'll make the NHL, but any offense we hoped from him likely won't appear. Still, if he can play a shutdown 4LW role, and maybe chip in on occasion, that's all you can hope for.

I think it's too soon to give up on his offensive potential. He probably won't score 30 goals or 60 points but I think he can still chip in 20 goals and 40-50 points.

If we sign a legitimate RW to play with the Sedins, we can use Sutter as a shutdown center. I think Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen will be an effective checking line. 

4 hours ago, khay said:

I think it's too soon to give up on his offensive potential. He probably won't score 30 goals or 60 points but I think he can still chip in 20 goals and 40-50 points.

If we sign a legitimate RW to play with the Sedins, we can use Sutter as a shutdown center. I think Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen will be an effective checking line. 

I would be absolutely shocked if he gets close to 20 goals and 40-50 pts. Not trying to put him down or anything.

seems to trust anyone he plays with. so it's easy for his teammates to trust him and build chemistry with... who does'nt like a guy that always passes them the puck?

and for that reason i can see him play on any line for the canucks.

Edited by bubbaCHUCK