The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are Toews, Bergeron, or Kopitar elite?  It really depends on one's definition of elite, does it not?

Yes, those three are proven, decorated gold medal winners, stanley cup champions, multiple selke winners.

Bo Horvat as much as I like him and see his potential, is not in their discussion or elite. Maybe someday

56 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Bo Horvat is NOT elite 

Hes a solid #2 

You say he's not elite yet he had more points (40) in his second season than Henrik or Kesler did. Bo posseses a mature mind for a 20 year old and has leadership qualities to become a captain and first line center. So all in all Horvat is an elite prospect and people should be excited about him.

Edited by GettinGuddyWithIt

Just now, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

You say he's not elite yet he had more points (40) in his second season than Henrik or Kesler did. Bo posses a mature mind for a 20 year old and has leadership qualities to become a captain and first line center. So all in all Horvat is an elite prospect and people should be excited about him.

Hes not that franchise centre we need... He is not a 1A. 

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

A guy who can move the puck also makes the forwards so much better.  Remember how a guy like Salo used to make the great first pass out of the D zone...when Salo was out of the lineup their record hovered around .500  when he was in the lineup they were racking up wins like crazy and making a march to the cup...this was a smart move even though it wasnt as 'sexy' as picking a forward.

Darn tootin'. The Canucks were something like 0.750 with Salo in the lineup. 

Heres a link of every shift he did in the WJC.....not sure if anyone already posted this or not.

its a good way to see his play......because highlights just show good stuff....this shows all his game skills.

He looks pretty good to me. i think its a good draft pick.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

To appreciate the guy, just watch the shift-by-shift against our very own Team Canada posted one of the other posters. Juolevi's grasp of the game is amazing. He knows how to make an amazing first pass, when to join the rush, when to deliver a hit, when to just use his body, where to block shots, where the potential weak spots are behind him, and he gets to the most optimal spots to make a play very quickly. He not only makes very few mistakes, he also increased the opportunities for his team! I'm sold.

Nearly a blend of Tanev (puck retrieval, position, reads) and Hutton (Fantastic mobility, patience, outlets and vision).

Really very impressive when you isolate him.  

My god am I thrilled with this pick.  

Never thought JB had it in him to take Juolevi at 5.  Was almost certain he would take Tkatchuk.

Was praying for JP or Juo, and we landed with Juo.  

He is our OEL, not a Maatta.  

Rest assured CDC nation, Juolevi is going to be one heck of a player for a very long, long time.

I still think Tkachuk was more important for the London Knights' Memorial Cup and playoff run, but Olli was indispensable for both the Knights and Finland's World Junior team. I think  he gained something like 9 pounds of lean muscle during the season--that's not easy. I was also not aware that he could play in the AHL right away, despite only being 18. These are all things that are making me more optimistic about the pick.

1 hour ago, Laoag said:

Benning said on the team 1040 that he would send him back to Junior if he doesn't make the team. That could change but that's the plan.

AHL would be nice but... london Knights are a decent organization.... Pretty dang decent... Like really decent... Decent.

If he goes back to London he's a leader on that team and they likely have a great season again next year. Playing in the AHL would speed up his development and give him a good headstart to his pro career. It's a win either way, but I'd most like to see him in Utica under coach Green. Travis has a way of getting the most out of his players and Baumgartner & Green coaching this kid would be too good to pass up.

• Upvote 1

Great Pick!

I find it amazing how Benning has rebuilt our defense so quickly.

With addition of Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Pedan, Subban, Larsen, Hutton, and Juolevi in just 2 years

We have taken a weakness and made it a strength...............

I would not be surprised if Benning  doesn't take a run at Stamkos.......we could be very close to a top 10 team in a year or 2

I am looking forward to seeing what Benning does next!

We didn't get the best Center, we didn't get the best Winger, but we got the consensus best Defenseman!

I am happy!

21 minutes ago, C.Schneider said:

My god am I thrilled with this pick.  

Never thought JB had it in him to take Juolevi at 5.  Was almost certain he would take Tkatchuk.

Was praying for JP or Juo, and we landed with Juo.  

He is our OEL, not a Maatta.  

Rest assured CDC nation, Juolevi is going to be one heck of a player for a very long, long time.

JB must have been gutted when CBJ picked PLD (like the rest of us)...thats who he had his sights on..I wanted Tkachuk,but am happy with Juolevi who was my third pick.