The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

The only trade hes done so far that weve won, and not by much is the Sven Baertchi trade. Everything else has been pretty questionable, and this is year 3 of the Benning era. Gillis had a handful of deals that we've won handidly in the same number of years, with a presidents trophy and a stanley cup final to boot

Ya but Gillis was handed a stacked team playing at its peak, look what Benning was dealt. And really its his 3rd draft not his third year. Talk that crap after Benning's 5th season under his belt. Your not even correct only giving him 1 good trade.

• Upvote 2

You don't trade for players like Juolevi. They're just too expensive and hard to come across. That's why you draft them instead. His English is pretty darn good compared to Laine and pool party. And his mindset is there. The thing i love with the 3 Finns is that they all want to make it to the Pro asap and their mindset and heart are in it 100%. 

I keep saying this, you build your team around defense, then work your way up. Ask Philadelphia, ask Nashville, ask Columbus, ask WPG, etc. We're still ways to go on this rebuild. Obviously Benning wants to bring in a winning mentality and this season proved to us that sucking doesn't mean jack shiz. Our reputation for 'sucking' is nowhere near TO and EDM who constantly suck for years and years. Good drafting, and we'll get to where we need to be. As long as Benning doesn't trade away first round picks, we're good.

The nice added perk to Juolevi is that he is eligible to go the AHL straight away. Utica's got Demko, possibly Virtanen, possibly Juolevi, Stetcher, Subban, Pedan, etc now and we've brought in a winning mentality towards Utica. Another Calder Cup run isn't out of the reach. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Western Red said:

So are we talking  OEL? Salo? thats all I have atm for finnish lineage.

I like ALF LIVes example...IF Julovi can turn into a Niedermayer than Benning will look like a genius...I will not say Lidstrom (as much as I wish it happens) just because, c;mon, Lidstrom?

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya but Gillis was handed a stacked team playing at its peak, look what Benning was dealt. And really its his 3rd draft not his third year. Talk that crap after Benning's 5th season under his belt. Your not even correct only giving him 1 good trade.

MG was definitely not handed a stacked team. What are you talking about?

I really wanted Dubois, but that move by Columbus.... Just... Wow. 

I didn't expect this pick over MT, but I can only assume that Benning - who knows more about this business than any of us - sees something special here. 

Wouldnt have been my pick, but excited to bolster our d.  I trust he is going to be a very good player. 

Not sure where we expect to get our high end scoring from now, mind you. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, kloubek said:

I really wanted Dubois, but that move by Columbus.... Just... Wow. 

I didn't expect this pick over MT, but I can only assume that Benning - who knows more about this business than any of us - sees something special here. 

Wouldnt have been my pick, but excited to bolster our d.  I trust he is going to be a very good player. 

Not sure where we expect to get our high end scoring from now, mind you. 

STAMKOS?

2 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

In 3 years I doubt edler would be on the team, if he is then he probably wouldn't be on the first pair, either Hutton or a trade would take his spot

Agree. But you know what I'm saying. We will have a pretty good defence core. Depending on how far Juolevi, Hutton, Gud, and Tryamkin develop, we are going to have a very good top 6. Possibly a championship calibre defence core.

With Juolevi we have a future top pairing and a replacement for Edler if and when he leaves the team. And don't forget Briesbois, he has a potential to be a top 4. Briesbois' game is based on smarts and making high percentage play. He kind of reminds me of the way Dan Hamhuis used to play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I wouldn't rush him. Let him develop one more year at London where they develop prospects arguably better then any other junior program. 

like some other poster stated he can play in Utica next year.... That is huge and will speed his up development considerably.

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

Surprised you haven't learned what it takes to make a hockey team yet... Kinda sad really. 

Keep it up boys.  Your sniping is way more exciting than this draft is turning out to be.  

8 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

...I've been here since 2003

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

Surprised you haven't learned what it takes to make a hockey team yet... Kinda sad really. 

Julovi was a good pick...

Comparing him to Maata wasn't a good comparison...it was lazy...You only said it because he is also Finnish, are both former Knights are are similar in size...Julovi's ceiling is much higher than Maaata's...I made no comment about building a team anywhere you are just drawing your own conclusions and running your mouth...kid