The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If Utica actually made the playoffs they'd likely be facing a top seed and a quick exit.  Under those circumstances, I could easily see JB essentially directing Green to give OJ some ice time.  Not saying this will happen, but I could easily see that going on behind the scenes. 

OJ is a top prospect no doubt.  But throwing him into AHL playoff games against seasoned pro's at the most intense part of their season may not be the best way to expose him to his first pro-hockey experience.  But then again, they threw Boeser and Molino right into the NHL so.......

Just now, PlanB said:

OJ is a top prospect no doubt.  But throwing him into AHL playoff games against seasoned pro's at the most intense part of their season may not be the best way to expose him to his first pro-hockey experience.  But then again, they threw Boeser and Molino right into the NHL so.......

Not the same situation. Our season is done. Uticas season is hanging n by a thread. I mistakes and it's over.

1 minute ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Spits made it close coming back to 4-3 but Thomas sealed it with an empty net goal. 

Good to see Joelevi will have a game 7 under his belt at least.

Knights announcer specifically singled out OJ as having a quote, "Very strong game' this afternoon! 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PlanB said:

Most teams tend to place their top prospects right into the thick of it in the AHL when they can, so it would not be an unusual practice for the Canucks to do so. Often they succeed quite well when given the opportunity. Even Virtanen made a difference when he was sent to the AHL for the playoffs in 2015, not offensively, but he made a physical difference out there for the team. I would definitely send Juolevi to Utica and see what he's made of - even if he doesn't play it will be a great experience being around pros. You never know, maybe he excels and we can be optimistic about him making the Canucks in the fall. 

11 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Why exactly can't he get stronger practicing and playing against men in the AHL?   I realize strength doesn't come overnight,  but it'd be a start and an opportunity to show the kid where he needs to get to. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Why exactly can't he get stronger practicing and playing against men in the AHL?   I realize strength doesn't come overnight,  but it'd be a start and an opportunity to show the kid where he needs to get to. 

Well the kid probably hadn't seen his family since last summer and he wasn't going to get into the lineup for the Comets anyway.

Nothing to see here

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well the kid probably hadn't seen his family since last summer and he wasn't going to get into the lineup for the Comets anyway.

Nothing to see here

So true.  And I doubt he would be able to increase his weight and strength while still playing hockey.  Generally players do that work during the off season, so Joulevi will get a head start on it.

It really is the only part of his game that isn't NHL ready.  Young dmen generally take longer than Fs to make the jump and even longer to have an impact on their team.  He's a pretty complete player, so hopefully he can make the jump within a year or two.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You don't get stronger playing games.  You get stronger lifting iron...