The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:41 PM, 112 said:

If the claim I was making is that the general belief among people who follow our team is that Juolevi is not developing as expected, then what I have read on Juolevi on places where Canucks fans converse en masse is a valid thing to point to in support of my view.

You're not disproving me by telling me to come up with 'legit sources' when you're not pulling up anything yourself to demonstrate that I'm in the wrong. 

Anyway, we're arguing about whether an opinion is popular, not whether it's correct or not, which is kinda silly. I hate how some posters on this forum pick out an arbitrary string of text to bold within a much longer post and then keep raising the issue of it because if they can confuse themselves enough about a random add-on to a post, it means they don't have to accept the rest of it. They play 'burden of proof' games as though this is a courtroom, never even raising issue with the more substantive parts of the message they're attacking. Idk if it's some sort of defence mechanism or what

I was one of the people questioning Juolevi’s ability to make it to the next level based on his first 20 games or so in Utica.  Though his play going forward with puck was admirable, he was awful in his own end.  He was walked on the outside continually.  If you review his performances in Penticton, you will see the same thing happening there.  He struggle with his pivots to the left.  Now it is possible that this was due to a nagging, but not incapacitating injury for which he is now being treated.  If this is a valid assumption, and it is repairable, then repairing that injury could yield us the defender that played well his final season in Finland.  I still hope that that version of Juolevi is available to us - it just might give us a great one-two situation on the left side.  We also have some additional defenders capable of filling the five, six and seven spots in Hutton, Sautner (who also plays the right side), Brisebois, and Rathbone (who also can play the right side) (too early to judge Utunen’s value).  Tryamkin can play both the left or the right side, and based on his improvement in the KHL in the previous year (this year’s performance may well be tainted by his team’s choices on defensive personnel, though now they are in the playoffs, he is their highest minute defender), he might be coming over now considering that one of his stated reasons for his return to Russia was, as a still developing player, to get bigger minutes.  That changed this year as his minutes shrank in the first half of the season because management insisted on playing all of their eight defenders more or less equally.  He could represent a solution to our shortage of top flight right side defenders with any size.  Woo’s robust game and flourishing offence also moves him into consideration, though he probably needs a year or two of development.

But back to Juolevi, it’s just to early to mark him either in or out of consideration, or to consider whether he is a top four guy.  Let’s see him healthy first.  At least, that is my opinion.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

This is complete false news. I know because there were no bad episodes of M*A*S*H*

I consider the final episode of M*A*S*H ( the Alan Alda me, me, me episode ) to be the most disappointing end to a TV series ever. .........and there are/ were some awful final episodes.

Before Juolevi was injured Bob Mckenzie was talking about Quinn Hughes and was say how important it was for Hughes to become an NHL dman and mentioned that Juolevi was stalled on development in the defensive area. He did say his offensive work was great but substandard defence work for a NHL player. Basically said the Hughes already had a better defensive game this year as compared to the draft where that was one of the main concerns with him.  At the end of the day, who cares... its a prospect and maybe Juolevi takes a few years to be a roster player.

I don't think I have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but I think the criticisms are warranted. It's not news that his development stalled and his defensive game hasn't been put together during his time in Utica. 

With that being said, I'm still a supporter and hope to see him make leaps and bounds after he recovers from his injury. If it takes a while for him to develop, then that's just what it's going to take. I hope he makes a full recovery and will hopefully see him on the team soon. 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah Edler has been our top pairing guy for almost a decade.  And you wonder why we keep drafting in the top 10 every year since that has happened.  If you think Edler is actually a legit top pairing guy on a legit playoff team then I don't even know what to say really...

What about when Edler was a top pairing guy on a team that was one win away from a Stanley Cup?

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2019 at 5:09 AM, 73 Percent said:

Uh he wasnt

How about that Olli kid eh?

I was firmly in the camp that supported Benning in picking Olli the first few years even though the day of the draft I was totally pissed off he did not take Tkachuk. Ever since that draft I have supported Benning thinking he knew something fans did not and hoped Olli would pan out.

Well...this post is not to say Olli will not pan out in some lesser role now...probably not a 1st pairing but not impossible.  But I am now firmly back into the "WE SHOULDA PICKED THE BPA TKACHUK" at our spot in the draft.

Tkachuck with Petey and Boeser would have been fricking huge for this franchise. An actual tough guy 1st line player that puts up the points as much as Petey does and has scored more goals so far this year!!  INVALUABLE.

But yes....this is all hindsight.

I also would have picked different numbers twice a week for the past 30 years on the 649 draw!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic

should a could a woulda but didnt. 

Just drafted Virtanen the year prior we needed a D not another power fwd. Unfortunately, Tkachuk panned out and Virtanen and Olli haven't yet. 

Flip side what if we drafted Glass or Travis Konecny, or Boqvist. No GM picks 100%. What if Brian Burke drafted Patrik Stephan. 

Should we have drafted Tkachuk yes but Olli is our guy. No need to compare him to anyone other than himself the year before. I am happy he is progressing albeit slowly I still believe that by 24 he will be a top 4 D.

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 2

The thing is, people seem to want 100% drafting accuracy. If we don't draft the best player possible at the time, they complain. However, the reality is NO team will ever have such accuracy which makes expecting such accuracy rather ludicrous.

That being said, I do understand people being critical of the players and in no way do I consider that to be complaining about draft choice. However, people constantly complaining about Tkachuk over Juolevi need to realise that the past has already happened and we WILL pick another bad pick at some point. It's reality. Every team does it. Get back down to reality and be thankful for the players we have had success with. ;)

It's also certainly not over for Juolevi (and there's even the chance that in 5 years time we could be thankful we picked Juolevi over Thachuk for all we know); however, next year could very well be the indicator.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The thing is, people seem to want 100% drafting accuracy. If we don't draft the best player possible at the time, they complain. However, the reality is NO team will ever have such accuracy which makes expecting such accuracy rather ludicrous.

That being said, I do understand people being critical of the players and in no way do I consider that to be complaining about draft choice. However, people constantly complaining about Tkachuk over Juolevi need to realise that the past has already happened and we WILL pick another bad pick at some point. It's reality. Every team does it. Get back down to reality and be thankful for the players we have had success with. ;)

It's also certainly not over for Juolevi (and there's even the chance that in 5 years time we could be thankful we picked Juolevi over Thachuk for all we know); however, next year could very well be the indicator.

Totally true.

CDC lost their marbles when we passed up Nichuskin over Horvat.

Fast forward many years later, the people who lost their marbles over that draft have become suspicious silent. If I was really bored, I'd go back in time and find those posters. They're probably ones that praise Horvat now...

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2019 at 2:42 AM, dank.sinatra said:

What about when Edler was a top pairing guy on a team that was one win away from a Stanley Cup?

Ehrhoff was the clear top guy on that squad. It was a pretty solid group though moreso than one top stud D-man - Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, as your top 5, with 4 of those guys basically being in their prime, is a pretty damn strong group. 

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

Ehrhoff was the clear top guy on that squad. It was a pretty solid group though moreso than one top stud D-man - Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, as your top 5, with 4 of those guys basically being in their prime, is a pretty damn strong group. 

Ehrhoff was the clear pp guy not the top overall dman.  Edler was.  He was awesome in that playoff.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

He was awesome, but Ehrhoff was still the engine that made that group run. 

That playoff run was the last we'd see of that version of Edler, unfortunately. 

I knew when Ehrhoff left we wouldn’t be back to the finals again. He was great here. Made us such an offensive juggernaut at the time. We were the Barcelona of hockey playing a possession game that no other team in the league had an answer for...until Boston. God I still miss that team.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

But yes....this is all hindsight.

If you're going to hindsight draft  properly, what we really should go back in time to do is trade down to Boston's pick and nab McAvoy + another asset or two ;)

AKA, I still wouldn't draft Tkachuck with hindsight :P

• Upvote 1