The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Here's the issue..nobody is talking about MT but now here you are bringing his name up for some reason and it will likely cause a discussion.  The people who want people to forget about it are the same ones who keep bringing it up 

Did someone say Tkachuk, I hear that guy is good at hockey.... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

You injure your left knee...and you overwork your right knee and tear some meniscus...then you tweak your back because you are guarding against injuring your knees again...then your hip gets tired of the argument between your knees and your back...

My guess is that he is just trying to hard to protect to much AND he needs some of Baer's Tia-Chi or whatever it is he uses to stay limber...I haven't watched any of his games this year but he has always looked a bit stiff when turning.

We will see how does from here...but shutting him down for season or until he gets limbered up at least ...isn't a bad idea.

• Upvote 2

Kanuckfanatic....while I am here I thought I would let you know that the quote you have at the bottom of your sig. ...was qualified by the statement "if he is ready to go" by fall or training camp...Juolevi was not ready to go then and did not play any preseason games...if you want a new quote that reflects the way things really are here ya go;;;;;;

Juolevi will (if healthy) make the Canucks out of training camp (barring ill health) next year...as long as he is healthy...!

Just watch....!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You injure your left knee...and you overwork your right knee and tear some meniscus...then you tweak your back because you are guarding against injuring your knees again...then your hip gets tired of the argument between your knees and your back...

My guess is that he is just trying to hard to protect to much AND he needs some of Baer's Tia-Chi or whatever it is he uses to stay limber...I haven't watched any of his games this year but he has always looked a bit stiff when turning.

We will see how does from here...but shutting him down for season or until he gets limbered up at least ...isn't a bad idea.

The Skeleton Dance - YouTube

• Haha 1

Here is my 2 cents on this situation, the Canucks probably wants to bring him to Vancouver to work on his sore hips in a controlled environment and to strengthen his whole body in a dry training akin to summer training.  He probably missed too much of the summer training.   If he missed too much training, he might need to get some training in without putting in stress with his repaired knee surgery he had from last season caused by sore hips.  If he is experienced that soreness from the games then training is the way to improve your overall strength to recover from sore hips and keeping you in shape.  Training takes time to complete and if you combine the training and playing games, you would not be able to protect your body in that manner.  If you are practicing and playing games only, you are not strengthen your body that way.  If you are training for any sports, you need at least 3-4 weeks of training to be prepared for that specific events and you cannot do that in-season.   This fits in the time-frame that OJ is going through.  Rehabbing and training is not the same and if he was rehabbing in the whole month then he would need time to get some of the training in and would take a bit longer and would not make any sense to practice with the team this week.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

A few other things may have happened.  

He may have had a PRP or SVF injection which would have kept him out for a little while.

They may have been trying some specialized PT or other therapies and seeing how he responds.  

Pretty reasonable when coming from major back and knee surgeries they need to look at biomechanics and try and correct things like a leg length discrepancy for example or work with him to adjust his stride.

May be temporizing a minor labral tear or something to try to get him through the season since he has missed so much time the last two seasons.

May have had a combo of any of these things.  

Could just have been something private and the hip is the excuse they gave.

• Upvote 1

I’ve followed Olli closely since - well, even before we drafted him. It has never seemed that the dry land aspect of training really came to him naturally. I remember when he showed up for his second camp, and there were pictures of him at the various Prospects  “bonding” events. He looked quite a bit bigger. Many people were excited, thinking he put on strength and might be better situated to challenge for a spot. I had my doubts. To my eyes he looked “puffy”.  I attended the subsequent training camp and he looked sluggish as hell. Not sure what happened that Summer in terms of training - if there was an injury I don’t recall - but it doesn’t seem like he was ever the same after that training camp.  I thought he looked much better in his first camp. I know he has had decent spurts in the Finnish league and AHL....but a fellow with this pedigree...it has just been disappointing. Feel bad for the kid too of course.

And in no way am I declaring him a bust at this point.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Kanuckfanatic....while I am here I thought I would let you know that the quote you have at the bottom of your sig. ...was qualified by the statement "if he is ready to go" by fall or training camp...Juolevi was not ready to go then and did not play any preseason games...if you want a new quote that reflects the way things really are here ya go;;;;;;

Juolevi will (if healthy) make the Canucks out of training camp (barring ill health) next year...as long as he is healthy...!

Just watch....!

...sure pal.  You said it.  The only point was your homerism gets totally out of hand and does not let you think rationally some times.  Look at the rest of the quote. Your opinions were so out of control you said many of our borderline NHL D would be top 4.  Yeah...we all make mistakes...but yours were totally out of control...

I will get rid of that sig after xmas. But you need to settle down. Which I actually think you have done lol.

Edit; your new thought that, if healthy, OJ will  make the Canucks out of camp is partly realistic. He is at that age so he should. Your previous proclamation was that he would be top 4 on an NHL team even though he was always injured and never played in the bigs. A big change in your thoughts.  Oh...and I say dumb stuff too sometimes....we all do....but that was WAY over the top.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

20 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

OJ is the JV of the current prospects board.  Struggling to make the physical transition to NA pro hockey.  

Hope he can just get healthy for his sake.  Not the first skinny lanky kid to struggle but it is concerning.  

This keeps coming up, but OJ moved to North America in 2015 and if any European league resembles the style played in North America, it is the FInnish Liiga. They even have adjusted rink sizes. This is not the issue.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Olli had a good first game back, he moved as easily as he did a couple of years ago. He also had a post tonight and had a couple of his patented long range passes.  Which is a good thing for him and the Canucks.  However, the Canucks have another LD who can make those passes, is strong defensively, and has a cannon for a shot... and who might be competing for that same spot next year. On the left D, Hughes appears to be a lock, Edler makes six mil, Benn has done nothing that shows he deserves to lose his job, Tryamkin is a physical beast that can skate, and Rathbone already looks good enough to run the PP in Utica - who knows where he will be at by next year... and both Rathbone (always) and Tryamkin (the past couple of years) have shown great commitment to their training. I hope Juolevi knows that it will be a dogfight earning a spot on the Canucks next year and trains accordingly.