The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

27 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I stumbled into HF boards - more specifically into a thread about Granlund (and this was in the Canucks section).  The tools there were cutting the kid apart, even debating whether trading Shinkaruk for him was worth it.  One guy was even proposing putting Granlund on waivers.  I had to check the url to make sure I didnt take a detour into the stench pit known as Calgary Puck.  Granlund is going to get 20 goals this year, Shinkaruk stinks like an AHL greyhound bus - yet they were talking about Granlund as if he was garbage.

HFboards are toilet paper  as far as Im concerned.  Not even the good toilet paper you get in a 5 star hotel, im talking about the 7th level of a basement parkade public bathroom toilet paper.  I would never take anything there seriously.  I did create an account just to give it to flames fans over various issues...but ill never take that board seriously.

Edit: not meaning to pick on you Guntrix....just venting about HFBoards and the views of the players espoused there.

Read this, and stopped reading about HFBoards. All the crazies are probably over there. Granlund on waivers?? Depending on who gets to pick first on the waiver wire, he'd be picked up absolutely. Stupid to even suggest it. 

33 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I stumbled into HF boards - more specifically into a thread about Granlund (and this was in the Canucks section).  The tools there were cutting the kid apart, even debating whether trading Shinkaruk for him was worth it.  One guy was even proposing putting Granlund on waivers.  I had to check the url to make sure I didnt take a detour into the stench pit known as Calgary Puck.  Granlund is going to get 20 goals this year, Shinkaruk stinks like an AHL greyhound bus - yet they were talking about Granlund as if he was garbage.

HFboards are toilet paper  as far as Im concerned.  Not even the good toilet paper you get in a 5 star hotel, im talking about the 7th level of a basement parkade public bathroom toilet paper.  I would never take anything there seriously.  I did create an account just to give it to flames fans over various issues...but ill never take that board seriously.

Edit: not meaning to pick on you Guntrix....just venting about HFBoards and the views of the players espoused there.

I don't feel so bad about our forum now....

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

HF Canucks are so committed to their anti-Benning bias that they will twist everything and anything into an attack on management. They're all-in.  I read it as they're desperately trying to look cool for other fan bases.

When HF gets what it wants in Dahlen and Goldobin (who some on there already started to slag)  most approving posts started with a "I still hate Benning, but..." or "Benning still needs to get fired." You know it's toxic when you can't even get what you want without complaining. Impossible to expect any rational discussion. 

As for Juolevi, the biggest criticisms seem to be that he looks dosonterested.  To me, that speaks to his style of play.  Still, I wonder what JB does with him next year?  He's way too skinny to play NHL and he's not AHL ready.  Pro year in Europe?  To me, staying in Jr is probably the best bet.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

HF Canucks are so committed to their anti-Benning bias that they will twist everything and anything into an attack on management. They're all-in.  I read it as they're desperately trying to look cool for other fan bases.

When HF gets what it wants in Dahlen and Goldobin (who some on there already started to slag)  most approving posts started with a "I still hate Benning, but..." or "Benning still needs to get fired." You know it's toxic when you can't even get what you want without complaining. Impossible to expect any rational discussion. 

As for Juolevi, the biggest criticisms seem to be that he looks dosonterested.  To me, that speaks to his style of play.  Still, I wonder what JB does with him next year?  He's way too skinny to play NHL and he's not AHL ready.  Pro year in Europe?  To me, staying in Jr is probably the best bet.

Don't pay attention to trolls, ignoring is way easier.

"You can't win argument with a fool"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I'm leaning towards Europe actually where his smallish frame may not be too much of a detriment. I've never seen a player stagnate so much with his junior club. This can be bad for obvious reasons or it can be because Olli needs to push himself at a higher level and he's just cruising with the Knights. 

19 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I'm leaning towards Europe actually where his smallish frame may not be too much of a detriment. I've never seen a player stagnate so much with his junior club. This can be bad for obvious reasons or it can be because Olli needs to push himself at a higher level and he's just cruising with the Knights. 

I'd be fine with that - could be a nice transition for him.  Give him a challenge and some experience playing against men.

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Finnish League transition to AHL seemed to work for Goldobin, so why not give it a try with Juolevi. I think this decision will largely be determined on how he shows up in the playoffs and what the London roster is expected to look like next year. Give him 9 games in the show and then send him to Finland. It would also be nice if he could put it together and take lead of the Knights next year as well - what we were kinda hoping for him to do this year. He seems like the type of guy who would want to correct his mistakes based on his WJC commentary - he was also outplayed there by Vili Saarijarvi as well imo. 

Edited by HomeBrew

13 hours ago, guntrix said:

you realize he is like 6"3 and started the season at like 185.  he's probably close to 190-195 now.  that isn't that slight.  Maybe for his height he's a little lean but he's by no means smallish. many nhl defenseman make it being smaller. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

you realize he is like 6"3 and started the season at like 185.  he's probably close to 190-195 now.  that isn't that slight.  Maybe for his height he's a little lean but he's by no means smallish. many nhl defenseman make it being smaller. 

Exactly, Playing with speed is much more important then bulk, He may need to strengthen up but Od say he can do that this summer. I will be surprised if Juolevi is with the Knights next year and think he will be on our team.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Exactly, Playing with speed is much more important then bulk, He may need to strengthen up but Od say he can do that this summer. I will be surprised if Juolevi is with the Knights next year and think he will be on our team.

agreed.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

For this to happen we'd probably need to move one of Edler/Tanev/Sbisa AND Hutton.

Not impossible but I wouldn't be counting any chickens. 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

For this to happen we'd probably need to move one of Edler/Tanev/Sbisa AND Hutton.

Not impossible but I wouldn't be counting any chickens. 

I will be amazed if Benning doesn't move a D this summer with all his talk of doing so. Also if Sbisa is exposed to Vegas, they will take him. 

I would be asking Edler to waive his no trade clause though and then trade him to a potential contender. I would then trade another of Hutton, Sbisa, Gudbranson. Lets just say Sbisa is traded along with Edler.

Hutton-Tanev

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Stetcher  <---Give these three pairing equal time on Ice and let the young guys develop with mentorship from Tanev.

Biega-Pedan<---give Pedan a chance already

Subban-Sautner

McEneny-Brisebois

Sautner-Cederholm

Neill <-----these 7 in Utica as callups

A young D group but with experience from Edler and Gudbranson. Allows competition between youngsters and helps with the retool. You have to respect what Benning has done with this D in the last couple years.

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

He looks physically weak against players shorter than him in the OHL... can't begin to fathom how he'd look against adults. 

You can be big and still get easily pushed off the puck. Part of what makes a small NHL defenseman like Krug good is their core strength.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

When you say ridiculous things like this, you are either talking in hyperbole to try and make your argument seem more convincing or you are simply lacking in experience watching players. 

Would it have been fair to expect Juolevi to take a bigger step in his draft+1 year? Absolutely. Just leave it at that; no need for ridiculous exaggerations.

I really hope you keep up with Olli's development by watching him play instead of using Tweets, highlights and whatever is said on here. It would be extremely hypocritical to say this if you didn't.

You can't even defend him statistically as he's only improved on his prior season by the slimmest of margins. It's looking more and more like playing with Laine/Pulji padded his stats with Finland and playing with the big 3 padded his stats with London.

Do I expect him to turn it around? absolutely. Did he stagnate this year? Yes, whether you'd like to admit or not. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He looks physically weak against players shorter than him in the OHL... can't begin to fathom how he'd look against adults. 

You can be big and still get easily pushed off the puck. Part of what makes a small NHL defenseman like Krug good is their core strength.

I really hope you keep up with Olli's development by watching him play instead of using Tweets, highlights and whatever is said on here. It would be extremely hypocritical to say this if you didn't.

You can't even defend him statistically as he's only improved on his prior season by the slimmest of margins. It's looking more and more like playing with Laine/Pulji padded his stats with Finland and playing with the big 3 padded his stats with London.

Do I expect him to turn it around? absolutely. Did he stagnate this year? Yes, whether you'd like to admit or not. 

I'm glad to finally hear some real talk around here around how unlikely his being physically ready to play for us next year actually is. I've been crossing my fingers and hoping Benning doesn't push him into the line up next year to sell merchandise al a Virtanen and McCann because I think he'll get hurt if they try that. Thanks,l I appreciate your insight. And your candor.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, guntrix said:

12 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I'm glad to finally hear some real talk around here around how unlikely his being physically ready to play for us next year actually is. I've been crossing my fingers and hoping Benning doesn't push him into the line up next year to sell merchandise al a Virtanen and McCann because I think he'll get hurt if they try that. Thanks,l I appreciate your insight. And your candor.

Good to see some realistic comments about Juolevi. As with Virtanen, there is not denying that his performance this year has been disappointing. Not terrrible, but disappointing. I admit that the only times I have seen him play, aside from a few video highlights, was at the WJC, where he was underwhelming to say the least.

There is no way he will be physically strong enough or flat out good enough to play in the NHL next year. He needs to get stronger. He needs to work on his skating. (Yes, he is regarded as "good" skater, but he does not have great acceleration or a high top speed.) He also needs to work on his shot. And, frankly, he could use more intensity in his play. The claim is that he  plays good positional defence and has a high hockey IQ. That is hard to disprove but, if those things are true, you might expect it to show up in his scoring numbers and +/- numbers.

Yes it is early, but obviously a guy who lights things up in his draft+1 year has a better prognosis than a guy who stagnates in his draft+1 year. Let's hope he takes a big step forward next year.