Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

On 2017-4-24 at 8:43 AM, Hutton Wink said:

No and no.  There was a top-5 in the 2014 draft, and Subban and Cassels are not NHL-ready yet.

Pretty sure he was consensus.  Let's put revisionist history aside and recognise that he was behind consensus top 5 pick Michael Dal Colle.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:33 AM, canucksnihilist said:

Jake was picked for need, not best player available.   We weren't rebuilding when he was picked, we were making the playoffs.   It was a risk to take a power forward.  Most of those players end up on the 3rd or 4th line, so that's what it looks we have.

There was a tier of similar players after the top 5 and Jake would have been right at that next pick of BPA according to Bob McKenzie, who surveys multiple scouts to make a "consensus" list. I would argue that McKenzie's list would be the true BPA as he does survey multiple scouts and ranks accordingly. Therefore, according to McKenzie Virtanen was the "consensus" seventh best player of that draft.

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Draisaitl

5. Dal Colle

6. Ritchie

7. Virtanen

8. Fleury

9. Nylander

10. Ehlers

11. Kapanen

12. Larkin

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

In regards to Juolevi, I'm glad he will be working out here in Vancouver with their trainers. Judging by his comments, he'll be here just for a little while before going back to Finland. At least he'll get specific direction on workout and nutrition. Also a bonus getting coached and mentored by Sami Salo! Salo was probably the most underrated defenseman of the Sedin era... he was rock-solid defensively, could move the puck up with simple passes, and had enough offensive prowess to be out there on the powerplay and fire his cannon of a shot. Hopefully Juolevi can learn not just how to shoot better and harder but also insight on what it takes to be a pro and how to handle the position and physicality of the game.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 4

has the Jake Virtanen topic merged with the Juolevi discussion? lol

• Upvote 1

May be just me, but the more I watch the Nashville Predators in the playoffs, the more I see Olli Juolevi aspiring more like Roman Josi type player.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

May be just me, but the more I watch the Nashville Predators in the playoffs, the more I see Olli Juolevi aspiring more like Roman Josi type player.

We can only hope. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Hmm Craig button didn't seem to like Virtanen lol

I'll admit the jury is till out on JV - and his fate/career is ultimately in his own hands, but there's a reason why Button isn't directly employed by an NHL team anymore so I'd take anything he says or analyzes with a grain of salt so to speak. 

13 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

...could be...could well be...right now he reminds me of a smarter, better passing, Edler...that might be mostly body language on the ice or he has some of Edler's great defensive positioning instilled in him already .... so he looks similar on D.,...much higher upside on O.,... DOH...

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I'll admit the jury is till out on JV - and his fate/career is ultimately in his own hands, but there's a reason why Button isn't directly employed by an NHL team anymore so I'd take anything he says or analyzes with a grain of salt so to speak. 

Oh for sure, but I just wonder why he didn't crack buttons top 30. You really have dislike a player to keep him outa your top 30 when they are in most scouts top 10

OHL all star teams released. Juolevi didn't make either the 1st or 2nd team. Sergachev made the 2nd team.

Confirms what most of us thought, Juolevi didn't really take a big step forward this season.

Edited by GoBoGo53

17 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

OHL all star teams released. Juolevi didn't make either the 1st or 2nd team. Sergachev made the 2nd team.

Confirms what most of us thought, Juolevi didn't really take a big step forward this season.

He made the 3rd team. Who cares what the OHL thinks, the guy is a stud.

Keep in mind that Olli kept the same statistics on a team that went from having 3 players hit over 100 points (121,116,107), to the top 3 players having less than 90 (86,72,66). That is progression.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

That's a very naive comment by someone who clearly didn't watch him play. He's progressing just fine. Look for

him to be a force next year in camp. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

That's a very naive comment by someone who clearly didn't watch him play. He's progressing just fine. Look for

him to be a force next year in camp. 

Your expert opinion comforts me 

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Keep in mind that Olli kept the same statistics on a team that went from having 3 players hit over 100 points (121,116,107), to the top 3 players having less than 90 (86,72,66). That is progression.

Pretty sure if he made the first All-star team we would all care what the OHL thinks.  Why shouldn't we? 

Edited by The 5th Line

On 5/17/2017 at 2:51 PM, GoBoGo53 said:

Actually Juolevi and Serg were the only U18 D-Men to make that list so not sure what you're on about. Also Serg was on the first team last year with 61pts and this year dropped to the second team and had 43 points, so I guess he regressed didn't he?

Edited by BI3KSALLENT
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

So just because you watched him play that means you are able to give an expert opinion on his progression?   You watched him plenty of times last year and this year and you are definitely qualified enough to let us know that he is progressing.  Right?

Pretty sure if he made one of the All-star teams we would all care what the OHL thinks.  Why wouldn't we? 

He did make one of the teams...

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

That has a lot to do with Joulevi's season. Unfortunately most All-star teams are based on offence. We will see how Joulevi does with next year's team with a more experienced group. They will be in the running for another Memorial Cup IMHO.