Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Didn't we take our best two players ever top five, and had to wait several years for them to develop into the stars who led us to our best decade of hockey?  

Not to mention defensemen generally take longer to make the big show. How many years did Darnell nurse take? Im sure theres many more examples. No point rushing juolevi imo 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

Patience is not a virtue for a lot of posters.... 

 

I would still take OJ at 5 and think it was one of our best picks as a franchise despite all those jumping on MT's d^*k because he played in the NHL last season.

:)  bingo!

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Not to mention defensemen generally take longer to make the big show. How many years did Darnell nurse take? Im sure theres many more examples. No point rushing juolevi imo 

So true.  Just look back at Larry Robinson.  He spent 2 full seasons in the AHL developing after Junior.  He turned out pretty good.  And Duncan Keith too took until he was older, before he developed his game.  By all accounts OJ is a guy who is super smart, skilled, and competitive.  He is worth waiting for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The 5th Line said:

The point is players are more NHL ready now and they are stepping in almost automatically and helping their teams be competitive at a very early age.  It's not 1999 anymore

Yes, younger guys are more ready than ever before for the NHL.  However, natural maturity can't be sped up for some people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

This is a top 5 draft choice and at this day in age it shouldn't be taking players like Olli 5+ years to develop in the minors, you're not supposed to be picking projects at that spot.  We have already seen players drafted after Virtanen blow by him in terms of development and of course we don't want to see it happen again with the Juolevi pick.  Players nowadays are more NHL ready than ever, most of this concern can be avoided if Juolevi makes the big club this season.

 

The fact that you think Juolevi needs 2-3 years in the AHL shows how little you think of him as a player. It would be a huge disappointment if it took him that long

In fairness, RE tends to over estimate how long players take these days. He said basically the same thing about Dahlen in his thread (year in SHL, 2 more in AHL).

 

Short of OJ simply not being able to put on muscle/weight. I can't see him getting more than this year in junior and part of next in the AHL at worst.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

In fairness, RE tends to over estimate how long players take these days. He said basically the same thing about Dahlen in his thread (year in SHL, 2 more in AHL).

 

Short of OJ simply not being able to put on muscle/weight. I can't see him getting more than this year in junior and part of next in the AHL at worst.

I do admit that I overestimate in some cases but definitely not as a slight against the player themselves more to temper expectations. I really dont want to see anyone rushed in just to fill a spot at the expense of development. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

In fairness, RE tends to over estimate how long players take these days. He said basically the same thing about Dahlen in his thread (year in SHL, 2 more in AHL).

 

Short of OJ simply not being able to put on muscle/weight. I can't see him getting more than this year in junior and part of next in the AHL at worst.

I wouldn't mind if he went back to Finland to play against Men next year either.

 

He has some options to consider.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Hell definitely get a shot this camp but he is still young and Dmen take a while to develop so I wouldnt be surprised to see at least 2-3 more years in the AHL before he cracks the nucks full time.

 

That said, most have already written him off as by then MT should probably have at least 3 first ballot all star selections plus a couple Conn Smythe trophies.

2-3 years in the ahl? No. 

 

He has a good chance of cracking lineup this year. He just needs to be a bit stronger, he doesn't need to be a beast considering his hockey smarts will get him by just fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I am willing to wait as long as it takes, I'm just saying would it not be disappointing if Juolevi didn't become a full time NHL'er until the year 2021/22?

I agree 100%.  It would be disappointing if OJ, and Pettersson and other prospects don't reach their ceiling.  I'm happy that JB is selecting guys with elite skills, and high ceilings. When our rebuild is complete, and this next core is on the big club, I want our team to be a Cup level team, not just a mediocre one.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

The point is players are more NHL ready now and they are stepping in almost automatically and helping their teams be competitive at a very early age.  It's not 1999 anymore

The are many players that took 2-4 years to make it in the NHL and that would include 3 of the top 5 players ever to play for this club. 

 

Expecting 18-20 year olds to make the NHL is a recipe for disappointment and failure. I am happy for those that do, it doesn't make them the best drafts that year, but it a bonus, not an expectation.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 4:05 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The are many players that took 2-4 years to make it in the NHL and that would include 3 of the top 5 players ever to play for this club. 

 

Expecting 18-20 year olds to make the NHL is a recipe for disappointment and failure. I am happy for those that do, it doesn't make them the best drafts that year, but it a bonus, not an expectation.  

So true. Fans calling for young prospects to be thrown into the NHL are gambling on their careers. Give Joulevi 9 games but his best route is another year in the OHL. It is not good enough that he can slot in on the 3rd pairing and simply get by. He needs lots of TOI playing all aspects of the game. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-06-27 at 1:03 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Patience is not a virtue for a lot of posters.... 

 

I would still take OJ at 5 and think it was one of our best picks as a franchise despite all those jumping on MT's d^*k because he played in the NHL last season.

I agree, Tkachuk has already have a bad rep with the referees. We have finally gotten past guys like Kesler, Burrows (I love Burr, but the refs don't), Lapierre, Torres etc. I remember back then where the other team always have more powerplays than us in a game because the refs really disliked a lot of our players. I feel like this has changed, and most of the games I have watched last season (especially after the trade deadline when Burrows was traded away), we have more powerplays than our opposition in most games (it's just that our PP sucks and can't score). I also get a sense that the refs no longer despise our players and will actually call the game as they see fair. Tkachuk's negative antics along with the Dennis Wideman incident has led the Flames from one of the fewest penalized teams in the league to one of the most penalized teams in the league. As long as the law suit of Dennis Wideman still goes on, and Tkachuk is still with the Flames, the Flames are going to have a hard time being on the right side of the refs calls for the next decade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading last year that Juolevi would have made the team last year if he was more physically mature, and he looked really good in preseason too. I don't think there's much to worry about this prospect, as long as he fills his frame, he is poised to be an NHL player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Theguy445 said:

I remember reading last year that Juolevi would have made the team last year if he was more physically mature, and he looked really good in preseason too. I don't think there's much to worry about this prospect, as long as he fills his frame, he is poised to be an NHL player.

I agree completely 

He has the tools to be a tremendous (I didn't want to say 'real good' lol) defenseman already.  He just needs to get physically stronger and more explosive.  As well as probably a small learning curve for the NHL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I really hope he makes it. I think the ideal situation would be for OJ and Stetcher to split games during the season. While Stetcher is promising he also was not used to the grind of the full season last year and was clearly effected by it. This way it allows two players to learn the game better and gives them the necessary rest as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Send him back to London for,crying out loud.  He plays when he's psychically ready.

Think I would want to see how he looks in camp before making a decision about where he plays. But then, I'm not psychic, so I prefer to deal with facts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Olli Juolevi | #48 | D
  • SNuck locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...