The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

25 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

I am very intrigued and interested by this comment - out of curiosity, do you have a link to this comment? 

This isn’t a quote.   Oodles of stories largely in Finland about the team revolt on the coaches.

2 hours ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

I am very intrigued and interested by this comment - out of curiosity, do you have a link to this comment? 

I heard it as well. I was in Finland during the tourney and the people I talked to said that because he spoke out publicly against the coach last year, management group did not want him in a leadership role this year. They wanted the player Juolevi on the team, but at the same time make clear that such behaviour was not acceptable (which they had to do and which does not rule out that Juolevi actually did the right thing by pointing what was wrong internally).

He has surely learned from that.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

If he had that sort of power surely he could get in touch with the hockey gods to throw us a bone in the draft lottery

Now that’s some power!...but I don’t even think the gods can help with that one. I think it’s a universal law, you know theory of relativity e=mc2, or more succinctly put, Canucks never get 1st over all. To suggest other wise would literally break our universe, time would mean nothing, and everything would cease to exist...I’ll stick with 5th overall...lol, it’s our 1st! ....(You should try the cool aid i’m drinking, it’s great!)

6 hours ago, joe-max said:

I heard it as well. I was in Finland during the tourney and the people I talked to said that because he spoke out publicly against the coach last year, management group did not want him in a leadership role this year. They wanted the player Juolevi on the team, but at the same time make clear that such behaviour was not acceptable (which they had to do and which does not rule out that Juolevi actually did the right thing by pointing what was wrong internally).

He has surely learned from that.

I am definitely missing out on this. What happened with Juolevi? What happened at last year's World Junior Championships? I know Finland had a very disappointing tournament last year but what does that have to do with Juolevi being stripped of the Finnish captaincy? He called out the Finnish coaches?

40 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I am definitely missing out on this. What happened with Juolevi? What happened at last year's World Junior Championships? I know Finland had a very disappointing tournament last year but what does that have to do with Juolevi being stripped of the Finnish captaincy? He called out the Finnish coaches?

From what I remember he called out the Finnish coaches (basically said that they weren't playing to their strengths) and called a players only meeting to try and change the way they were playing. But this is just what I'm remembering and it could have gone down slightly differently.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

From what I remember he called out the Finnish coaches (basically said that they weren't playing to their strengths) and called a players only meeting to try and change the way they were playing. But this is just what I'm remembering and it could have gone down slightly differently.

That takes balls

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/01/11/canucks-prospects-stop-hating-on-olli-juolevi/

When Vancouver Canucks fans think of their team’s prospects, they don’t seem to think much of Olli Juolevi these days. It’s time to start giving him the recognition he deserves.

Yet, when people talk about Canucks 2016 1st round pick Olli Juolevi, a lot of those smiles turn into expressions of malaise. These facial contortions are usually followed by laments of “we should’ve taken Matthew Tkachuk” or “look at all the other players picked after him who are already in the NHL”.

These sentiments need to stop.

Not only are they spectacularly unproductive, but more importantly they are premature. As cliché as it sounds, every prospect has a different development curve and what we are seeing now is no different.

Just because he hasn’t played an NHL game yet, doesn’t mean he is a bust. In fact, any Canucks fan should look at what he is doing this season and be very happy.

He has been playing in Finland’s top pro-league SM-Liiga, and has amassed 14 points in 20 games.  Over the course of a 60 game season, that would put him on pace for 42 points, that would be one of the best “Under the age of 20” (U20) totals in league history. Historically speaking, it is tough for young defenceman to put up points in that league.

For example, Dallas Stars No. 1 Defenceman John Klingberg played his draft plus two season in the SM-Liiga. He only put up three points in 20 games as a U20 defenceman.

Now, I’m not saying Juolevi is going to be a better defenceman than Klingberg (and like I said earlier everyone has a different development curve), but the points Juolevi is putting up as a 19 year old playing against men is very encouraging.

Another added positive for Juolevi playing in Finland is the fact that the ice surface is larger than it is in the NHL. This is a positive because it will help Juolevi improve on his mobility, which was hampered as a result of gaining quite a bit of muscle mass over the summer.

He also gets to work with former Canuck Sami Salo, who will teach him the crucial details on how to defend against men in the NHL.

By not playing in the NHL this season he also got to participate in the World Juniors, where he played well, accumulating four points in five games. When Finland was eliminated in the quarter final, he was voted as one of the three best players on the team by the coaching staff.

Though you can question whether he was the best defenceman on the team, he certainly played better than Miro Heiskanen, a player who is seen as direct competition to Juolevi for a spot on Finland’s Olympic team.

Now I know he is not nearly as flashy as the defenceman picked after him like Mikhail Sergachev or Charlie McAvoy, but quieter guys have become very popular in today’s game. Look at players like Hampus LindholmMattias Ekholm, and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

None of these players have a 40-plus point season to their name. None of them can bring you out your seat with their play. Yet, if anyone of these players had to be made available on the trade market, nearly every GM in the league would try and acquire them.

Why? Because they can play all three zones effectively and eat up big minutes in any situation, a skill which is hard to find.  This is the kind of player Juolevi can develop into. And if he does, I guarantee you he will be one very valuable player.

So remember, when you talk about Juolevi amongst yourselves, don’t be disappointed in the fact that others are in the NHL. Be happy that he is getting the proper development he needs to become the well-rounded defenceman that every NHL team desires.

Nice perspective.  I think OJ will be a solid top 4 Dman but aside from Tryamkin returning the Nucks still need a good 3 or 4 more D prospects.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Nice perspective.  I think OJ will be a solid top 4 Dman but aside from Tryamkin returning the Nucks still need a good 3 or 4 more D prospects.

Holm might be one. Maybe Briesbois too. If we can get lucky and find two more this draft, one being an actual PP performer, things might start looking up in a couple of seasons. 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Holm might be one. Maybe Briesbois too. If we can get lucky and find two more this draft, one being an actual PP performer, things might start looking up in a couple of seasons. 

Holm and Brisebois are realistically potential bottom pairing guys.

The only solid top 4 prospect we have right now is Juolevi. I agree with what the other guy said, we basically need 3 defenders to create a new top 4 for this team to be true contenders. Tanev or Tryamkin could potentially be part of that but it's hard to believe with the way Tanev plays and the toll it takes on him that he will still be able to contribute the way he is now and Tryamkin may never come back.

If we get truly lucky we can snag another 1st this year and get a couple defenders and hope they pan out. Sign or trade for another top defender and we may have something but our defense needs a complete overhaul

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I think he will be a #3 guy. But if Trymakin doesn't return we don't *need* 3 or 4 prospects, really - although that would be ideal.

Elite PMD (Absolutely), Tanev

Juolevi, ?1

?2, ?3

Now, who do we have to fill those #1, 2, and 3 positions currently?

Edler, Hutton, Stecher, Del Zotto, Pouliot.   So currently, I'd say Edler is still ok as the 4th d-man, between the remaining 4 we can absolutely fill the bottom pairing, while still having Biega for depth.  The #1 position *might* see Pouliot there too so it's basically covered.  So in fact, we have a glut, and all we are absolutely missing is that #1 elite guy, and that's if Tryamkin DOESN'T return.  If he does, he could slot into that #4 position as well (making a that spot a battle between 3 capable guys) and we have even more of a glut. Should God shine down on us, perhaps we get our top guy in this year's draft. Otherwise, we will have to go the trade or UFA route to get the guy we need. Either way, we're really just a single (excellent) player away from having a decent future D so while our d sucks right now, the situation isn't really that dire.  We do, however, need to stock the cupboards for the future as they are hopelessly bare of defensive prospects going forward.  I can see Holm being a bottom pairing guy, but that's about it.

If the above was difficult to follow, consider this:

Dahlin Tanev
Juolevi Tryamkin

Pouliot/Edler Stecher
Biega

In the end, that may not be the best d in the nhl, but it's far better than what we have now with balanced scoring potential on the left, and defensive/smart/physical guys on the right.  We MUST find a way to get some scoring from the blueline or we're simply not going to be a contender again.

Edited by kloubek

48 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

The only solid top 4 prospect we have right now is Juolevi. I agree with what the other guy said, we basically need 3 defenders to create a new top 4 for this team to be true contenders. 

I don't honestly see Tanev here long term. 

We've got Juolevi, hopefully another top guy this draft and Tryamkin, if he returns, to start with.

From there we're going to have a glut of vets (Edler, MDZ, Tanev) to trade in the next couple years, along with wingers, as guys like Dahlen, Lind etc come on line. Ideally we trade/package some of that for another guy. I'd love to do Edler, 50% retained and a winger (Vanek?) for a good D prospect. 

Then there's always one of Stecher, Hutton, Pouliot etc exceeding expectations, Gudbranson, UFA's etc.

It certainly still needs work but the team's not a finished product yet ;)