The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think most people who felt that OJ was a bust would like to eat crow rather than be proven right when putting it into perspective. 

Unless they are just ‘should of drafted tkachuk’ super anti-JB.

• Hydration 1
44 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think most people who felt that OJ was a bust would like to eat crow rather than be proven right when putting it into perspective. 

Unless they are just ‘should of drafted tkachuk’ super anti-JB.

Again, let's be honest. There's still going to be those people who wanted Tkachuk. lol

• Hydration 1

All the things I saw and marveled about Juolevi in his draft year are starting to ooze out in his game again.

Just his keen sense of awareness and subtle plays that relieve pressure and has really begun to become more authoritative in his play with the puck.  So happy for this kid, he is starting to show the abilities that made him a top 10 pick. Hope he continues his trajectory of simple, quiet, smooth, and dependable hockey.

• Hydration 2
18 hours ago, oldnews said:

There were a lot of assumptions that the team was going to take a serious "step back" this season with the departing veterans.

I think the counterpoint / counter-possibility to that was - how well do the young talent they have step up?

I think it's pretty clear that Juolevi improves the lineup with his presence - and there is no situation where he's in over his head - something that is rare to say about a rookie defenseman.

I also think it's pretty clear that in spite of Toffoli's inclination to wreck this team head to head, Hoglander is otherwise fully game to replace him overall - and at the bonus of doing so on an ELC.

Obviously, replacing Tanev has been a challenge, particularly when Hamonic struggled as much as he did, and then his injury forced the team to pair Hughes with a 7/8 LHD (not a shot at Benn, who has been much better than he was last year = the player they hoped he'd be when he signed).

Unfortunately - the other major elements in the equation - are a top 6 that just hasn't been itelf thus fart this season - particularly EP, Miller, Horvat and Pearson.....once those guys truly gain traction, it's conceivable that this team steps up to comparable performance to last season.  Schmidt may not be producing at a typical clip thus far, but he's also played hard minutes with solid possession and goal metrics, so how far back the blueline has stepped - really comes down to Hughes' struggles for the most part (again, the question of how much the young players would be able to step up/uptick).  I think it's been understandable to some extent that a few of these guys haven't quite sustained - the 'foundation' has been thinned a bit by virtue of the offseason.   And of course, at the back of it all we haven't quite had that Markstrom quality of consistency in goaltending.

But I still love this group - and particularly how promising their ability to uptick remains.   For the most part the real breakdowns this season have come down almost exclusively to poor puck management / too high risk puck carrying in the dzone, poor first passes - turnovers in critically high risk areas - that they've been managing to clean up for the most part.   They've outplayed their opponents in general the past 5 games (and none of those opponents were the struggling Senators...).

I think things are looking quite promising again - particularly if EP, Horvat and Hughes can get rolling....

Juolevi though - has been outstanding.

44% ozone starts

.937 on ice save percentage = best on the blueline (Virtanen leads the team at .953)

2.9 on ice goals for per 60 at es

2.1 on ice goals against (only a few bottom six wingers have given up less).

Secondary pk duties (over a minute/game).

+3 leads the team (in anything but 'sheltered' minutes - is impressive).

And clearly the eye test adds up / reconfirms his outcomes.

I viewed this aborted season as a transition process. Marky and Tanev were big pieces but because of CAP and age I was willing to move on. The key to me is 2022-23

for serious CUP contention. Indirectly Marky was hurting the long term goal as his superior play allowed an easy out for poor d-side play. Even now, although improved, I have not seen a d-side game that is CUP quality. Not upset by that as the work is being done and it takes time. 

The transition is encouraging as Joulevi and Hoglander excel. Injuries will likely happen and other prospects have to have a chance at TOI. Chatfield, MacKewen and Bailey are candidates. The real downer of this year is the taxi squads with players who are not getting game time. Their seasons are largely being sacrificed. I appreciate the play that Roussel and Erickson offer but I would not dress Erickson again and I would sit Roussel for the odd game to give younger players some TOI. I keep Sutter deeper into the transition. Hamonic is a trade chip in all likelihood. 

Season is 35% done and the Canucks are not out of it. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hamonic is a trade chip in all likelihood.

Unlikely. Has a full NMC on his one year contract. He specifically chose to sign here because he wanted to be here.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

Whatever happens this season with the canucks (Whether they make the playoffs or not), the emergence of Juolevi and Hoglander are huge developments for the organization. Developing a solid top- four defensemen is found gold. Forwards and goaltenders come and go all the time. Good defensemen are huge pieces to a team that teams hang on to for a long time. Just think how important Edler, Tanev and Bieksa have been to this franchise.

Juolevi's ceiling is wherever his skating will take him. It's something you can improve like Dan Hamhuis did.

The thing is... prior to his draft year, he was regarded as an elite, smooth skating defenceman. He still has that ability and, to a degree, is already showing it. It's only going to get much better. He did require surgery on his knee, which does take time to properly heal and strengthen. As long as he remains healthy, he should be more than fine. 

• Hydration 1

I'm surprised and impressed by how physical he's been and good with his stick defensively. Not bringing much offence or skating the way he was advertised, but that doesn't matter because he's been brilliant all-around. Fittingly he looks a lot like a young Alex Edler, especially with his broad frame. 

I think the points will come but he'll be very similar to a steady, 30-40 point at best Edler. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

His high IQ is already so evident - was from day 1. Really like his game right now. 

He's taken a bit to adapt at every level. Going from London to the SM-Ligga, wasn't a huge player at first but was a key piece in the playoffs. Then going to Utica got better/more integral as time went on. Now in the NHL its the same thing, making good strides as the year's gone on. 

The signs were already there at the beginning of the year, now getting back into the lineup he's taken another step. Didn't feel like it at the time - but I think the break was good for him. Which is why the coaches are there everyday and fans aren't.

His upside will be as far as skating can take him, he's got the IQ to be a top of the lineup player. It'll be about improving skating or adapting his game, and I definitely think improving skating is possible - it wasn't a big knock before the injuries. 

I think he's got alot more to given even currently. He's played well in his role yet is still adjusting to the NHL IMO, promising sign. Still so early in his NHL career. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Olli is slowly becoming my favourite Dman. He's getting better every game, handed out another big hit mid-ice last night against the Jets. Had a scoring chance, jumps in the play - but he's smart about it.  

• Hydration 1
On 2/18/2021 at 12:42 PM, oldnews said:

Juolevi though - has been outstanding.

44% ozone starts

.937 on ice save percentage = best on the blueline (Virtanen leads the team at .953)

2.9 on ice goals for per 60 at es

2.1 on ice goals against (only a few bottom six wingers have given up less).

Secondary pk duties (over a minute/game).

+3 leads the team (in anything but 'sheltered' minutes - is impressive).

And clearly the eye test adds up / reconfirms his outcomes.

Great to see the advanced stats confirm Olli's development/performance.  Olli has definitely been one of the bright spots on this abridged season.  In time, I'm confident that he will prove to be deserving of being the top defenceman picked in his draft. 

A fair amount of doom and gloom for this season, but the future for the backend looks really good, with Hughes and Julovevi holding two of the top four roles in days to come.

Hopefully Woo, Rathbone, and Jurmo can develop into solid NHL players while Schmidt, Myers and Hamonic hold down the fort over the next 2-3 years.

• Hydration 2
8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm surprised and impressed by how physical he's been and good with his stick defensively. Not bringing much offence or skating the way he was advertised, but that doesn't matter because he's been brilliant all-around. Fittingly he looks a lot like a young Alex Edler, especially with his broad frame. 

I think the points will come but he'll be very similar to a steady, 30-40 point at best Edler. 

I'll see your Alex Edler comparison and raise it to Niklas Lidstrom.  Olli's smoothness, on-ice smarts and poise are more reminiscent of Lidstrom to me. I suppose time will reveal who Olli's play will resemble.

I'm thinking a future #1 pairing of Juolevi - Hughes.

Olli is pretty responsible defensively, smart player, great passer.  The thing that may be stopping Green from trying this is their inexperience. Could be really good down the road though (2 years?)

Juolevi - Hughes

Rathbone - Myers

Schmidt - Woo

Hughes <_<

16 minutes ago, Bell said:

Nice to see Canuck fans giving this kid some respect.  He is going to be integral in the canucks winning the cup.

I agree but last night he barely got 10 minutes of TOI while Hughes was over 25 minutes. Hughes stayed out for a full 2 minutes of PP. Either Hughes is simply doing this or Green is telling him too. Either way what message is telling your bench? I don't like it. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree but last night he barely got 10 minutes of TOI while Hughes was over 25 minutes. Hughes stayed out for a full 2 minutes of PP. Either Hughes is simply doing this or Green is telling him too. Either way what message is telling your bench? I don't like it. 

Vancouver has never had a player like Hughes before. He gets a very extended leash but as player's like Olli emerge that leash will be reigned in to give player's like Olli a chance to shine.  The young canuck d core looks as good as any in the league.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

From what I remember, Green said D deployment is usually all Baumer.

Not a fan of Baumer's deployment or defensive structure but it is what it is.

Olli has shown he's good enough to handle at least 15 mins a night against tough competition at that so the lack of consistency in deployment is a little annoying.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It'll happen in the near future:

Juolevi >> Tkachuk

On the Juolevi / Tkachuk debate, it will be interesting to see how these two fare against head to head in the years to come.  Does anyone know of the nature of their relationship while they spent a season in London together?  Were they friends?  Though it's only a small sample size, I haven't seen Tkachuk being the usual ass he is with Juolevi so far in the games between the Canucks and Flames.

Edited by bigbadcanucks