The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I liked Jolevi's game (Wednesdays game) better than what Chatfield accomplished in Thursdays. Brady had his way with Jalen a few times in our zone were Joulevi seemed to handle the heavier checking much better. I'm not even adding Joulevi's first NHL goal to sway my opinion.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO, Chatfield has outplayed Juolevi for the moment. That being said, I still think Juolevi will slot back in at some point.

Travis has a number of options on D to choose from especially when Hamonic returns. It is my hope that he rotates some of his lower pairings in and out of the lineup depending on who they are playing and as the injury bug eventually hits. Given the condensed season that is something they need to try to do.

Chatfield was okay but i feel Juolevi has been better !

• Hydration 3
1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Chatfield was okay but i feel Juolevi has been better !

Chatfield is RD and Juolevi is LD so they are not really competing against one another. I think it has more to do with the fit with who ever their partner is and also who they are playing against. I fully expect to see both of them play 20 or more games this season. We may even see Rathbone given a game or two if they feel he is ready.

Nice to finally have some decent defensive depth to fill in when needed.

• Hydration 1
25 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Chatfield is RD and Juolevi is LD so they are not really competing against one another. I think it has more to do with the fit with who ever their partner is and also who they are playing against. I fully expect to see both of them play 20 or more games this season. We may even see Rathbone given a game or two if they feel he is ready.

Nice to finally have some decent defensive depth to fill in when needed.

Yeah I agree, both have been solid (OJ's been quiet but is a +2 to go along with his goal, while Chatfield's been physical and strong defensively).

Combined with the likes of Benn and Schmidt who can switch sides, it's great that they're available as fresh players to spot the regulars or to provide their unique skillsets against particular matchups.   

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

With Chatfield being a RD and Benn playing well the right side, it has given Green the opportunity to play Schmidt the left side with Myers. That pairing has done well in the series vs the Sens.

OJ sitting is no flak to OJ. Chatfield and Benn have been good. I don't even think Hamonic would get in right now if he was healthy.

Chatfield's also 24 while OJ is 22 and coming off a season where he had some load management. We can still be patient with OJ and he'll likely see a lot of games still.

Yea. I think OJ needs to be brought along slowly. He's had a reputation for being injury prone to start his career. And he is younger, so will OJ be better at 24 than Chatfield is at 24? 

I agree that they'll both see a lot of games in a compressed season like this one where injuries will inevitably happen. 

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea. I think OJ needs to be brought along slowly. He's had a reputation for being injury prone to start his career. And he is younger, so will OJ be better at 24 than Chatfield is at 24? 

I agree that they'll both see a lot of games in a compressed season like this one where injuries will inevitably happen. 

You could speculate yeah OJ could be better at 24. OJ is smart/skills and has proven that he's good away from the puck(Zone D and PK). The only thing holding OJ back is his speed and a lot of that stems from his injuries. Speed is his weakness and as a result you've seen him struggle defending the rush at times. He has shown he is smart enough to create a bit of distance(playing safe) in order to mitigate this.

Chatfield has good speed and has shown capable of defending the rush well and making good pinches. Chatfield has shown enough puck skills to be able to make a good first pass. He's been a pretty good all-around defender overall in the 4 games he's played.

When Chatfield's been on the ice in the 12:07 minutes of ice time in the 4 games he's played we've had a 5v5 save percentage of 96.2%(according to NHL.com) which is good for a person who's been utilized defensively. OJ's on ice save 5v5 percentage isn't bad either at 93.3% playing 12:53 a night. Both averaged about 11 minutes at even strength. All stats provided by NHL.com via SAT percentages and TOI in the player stats.

Keep in mind of the small sample size and low deployment with these stats. It is still very early in these twos career to determine their worth yet.

Another thing to consider is that OJ has played 63 AHL games while Chatfield has played 147 games(season+playoffs) in the AHL. That's a big difference too. More time for Chatfield to round out his game.

Took Boeser a bit to find his shooting form after his injuries so I reckon it could take some time for OJ to become faster as well.

Everyone should be happy having 2 rookie D showing signs of promise.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Hydration 4
On 1/29/2021 at 10:09 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

You could speculate yeah OJ could be better at 24. OJ is smart/skills and has proven that he's good away from the puck(Zone D and PK). The only thing holding OJ back is his speed and a lot of that stems from his injuries. Speed is his weakness and as a result you've seen him struggle defending the rush at times. He has shown he is smart enough to create a bit of distance(playing safe) in order to mitigate this.

Chatfield has good speed and has shown capable of defending the rush well and making good pinches. Chatfield has shown enough puck skills to be able to make a good first pass. He's been a pretty good all-around defender overall in the 4 games he's played.

When Chatfield's been on the ice in the 12:07 minutes of ice time in the 4 games he's played we've had a 5v5 save percentage of 96.2%(according to NHL.com) which is good for a person who's been utilized defensively. OJ's on ice save 5v5 percentage isn't bad either at 93.3% playing 12:53 a night. Both averaged about 11 minutes at even strength. All stats provided by NHL.com via SAT percentages and TOI in the player stats.

Keep in mind of the small sample size and low deployment with these stats. It is still very early in these twos career to determine their worth yet.

Another thing to consider is that OJ has played 63 AHL games while Chatfield has played 147 games(season+playoffs) in the AHL. That's a big difference too. More time for Chatfield to round out his game.

Took Boeser a bit to find his shooting form after his injuries so I reckon it could take some time for OJ to become faster as well.

Everyone should be happy having 2 rookie D showing signs of promise.

I am pretty happy that we have both Juolevi and Chatfield. Chatfield more surprised because I didn't know what to expect out of the guy. Didn't think he would be able to step into the lineup as quickly as he has, and played remarkably well. He seems to have a good stick too. 

Juolevi, I agree needs to get up to speed with his, well, speed. He seems slow on the ice. Like, on tv slow. But because he's so smart, I think he'll eventually round that part of his game out. I'm actually surprised that he's not injured yet considering all the injuries that he's endured over the last several years. I feel good for him though, because he's been able to stay healthy, and he's been given some games to play. I hope he's not in Green's doghouse. If that's the case, it'll be hard to get out of it. 

By the way, is Virtanen in Green's doghouse now? Two games in a row, and he hasn't been in now. 

It's a good problem for Green to have, whether to play Juolevi or Chatfield, but right now I think he's approaching the 5th defenceman option the same as our goalies - play whoever's winning. Chatfield is stealing minutes off Benn as well and he's clearly impressing Green, I think mostly due to his swift skating. He plays hard along the boards and is making less and less silly mistakes which is great to see. We need to work Juolevi into the rotation though too, this was supposed to be his year but it looks like Chatfield has gained favour for now.

I'm sure over the course of the season Juolevi will get more opportunities but it looks like next season as we maybe lose a top defender, Juolevi and Chatfield will play bigger minutes and the youth progression will slowly continue. 

Honestly, I don't have high hopes for OJ. I was hoping that once he emerged from what seemed like endless injury he would show better. Now, one might say that defensemen take longer to develop, or that he's still young, but I just don't see much to translate into NHL success. He has good breakout vision, but his passes seem ill-timed and often weak, his skating seems slow and he has shown limited creativity. 

To be honest, I've been more impressed with Chatfield. That kid has hustle and I notice him out there - even if he too may have rather limited upside...

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, I don't have high hopes for OJ. I was hoping that once he emerged from what seemed like endless injury he would show better. Now, one might say that defensemen take longer to develop, or that he's still young, but I just don't see much to translate into NHL success. He has good breakout vision, but his passes seem ill-timed and often weak, his skating seems slow and he has shown limited creativity. 

To be honest, I've been more impressed with Chatfield. That kid has hustle and I notice him out there - even if he too may have rather limited upside...

He's shown to be not bad on the defensive end of things. His zone D has been good for a rookie and he's done well on the PK. He makes safe/smart plays with the puck when he isn't trying those stretch passes. Overall OJ doesn't play a game that jumps out at you which works in his favor. He's quiet and calm. In his 12:16 of short handed ice-time he hasn't been on the ice for a PP goal against yet. Same goes for Benn who's played a but more on the PK than OJ. 2nd on the team in blocks per 60 minutes only behind Benn. His on ice save + shooting percentage 5v5 is currently the best on the team at 110.5%.

Chatfield has 1/3 as much PK time(4:05 PK time) as OJ(12:16 PK time) despite playing an extra game. They don't seem to use Chatfield on the PK much, mostly at even-strength just like Stecher last year.

At even-strength OJ has been on the ice for 5 goals for and 3 goals against. Chatfield has been on the ice for 3 goals for and 6 goals against at even strength. OJ has 77:54 of even strength ice-time to Chatfield's 111:12 of even strength ice-time though so it makes sense for Chatfield to get scored on more, still the offensive output when OJ's on the ice looks good so far.

Small sample size but overall he's shown a bit of promise. His speed is an issue. That's where Chatfield has him beat. I've seen him struggle on the rush whereas Chatfield has been good defending it. I reckon that the prior injuries have set his skating back a bit. With all this time off he can work on progressing physically(which injuries prevented him from doing) and getting faster.

He's young and it took Boeser a bit to fully recover(looks like his shot is back) so I reckon OJ can improve his skating over time. We need all the young D we can muster. IMO I am just happy we got 2 guys who have shown promise.

(stats from NHL.com)

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

OJ needs to work on his skating overall. But sometimes playing smart hockey puts you where you need to be without having  to need speed to get there. Thats how i see OJs game. His skating will improve and combined with those smarts of his  he's gonna be a great well rounded D for a while.

50 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Still only 3 goals against in 102:38 of overall playing time. 5 goals for in the same amount.

No PP goals against in 12:16 of PK time.

He should be in the line up more often. 

I'll be irate if he's not in the line up come up against the series against the Flames. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1